New food: Republic of Cats. Really frustrating brand.

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I thought it was fresh food, like Smalls or Nom Nom Now, but it appears to be canned. Thought I'd share for anyone curious or interested in trying it, but I already want to pull my hair out just filling out the questionnaire.

It's fine at first. They ask for how many cats you have, their names and ages, weight, weight goals, activity levels, if they have any health conditions, allergies and intolerances, etc.

Unfortunately, after selecting yes on the allergies and intolerances, I checked off all veggies and grain they listed and they said they can't support those needs. I then went back and left oats and barely unchecked and they still wouldn't accept it. I left potatoes unchecked, and to my annoyance, they still would not accept it. The ingredients they list in the veggies/grain section are: Corn/Maize, Wheat, Soya, Peas, Potatoes, Barely, Oats, Grain, and Rice.

Even though I ended up only selecting a few, they keep telling me I checked an intolerance they can't currently support (they don't tell you what that is, either). What's the point of asking me to list intolerances and allergies if you won't allow me to take out what could harm my cats? I hope they continue to improve, because I like the idea, but so far the execution is failing to impress me. Not really sure how old or new the brand is. If they are very new I'll give them a chance, but so far it's a no from me.

You don't have to sign up to go through the questions (just click join), so if you want to explore yourself you're free to do so without the commitment. But since food subscriptions tend to be pricier than store bought, I'd say whatever it costs isn't worth the money if I can't completely tailor my cats' food to their needs like they advertise.

Republic of Cats how it works

Just thought I'd throw this brand out there in case anyone saw or heard of it and wanted to know more about it.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
I thought it was fresh food, like Smalls or Nom Nom Now, but it appears to be canned. Thought I'd share for anyone curious or interested in trying it, but I already want to pull my hair out just filling out the questionnaire.

It's fine at first. They ask for how many cats you have, their names and ages, weight, weight goals, activity levels, if they have any health conditions, allergies and intolerances, etc.

Unfortunately, after selecting yes on the allergies and intolerances, I checked off all veggies and grain they listed and they said they can't support those needs. I then went back and left oats and barely unchecked and they still wouldn't accept it. I left potatoes unchecked, and to my annoyance, they still would not accept it. The ingredients they list in the veggies/grain section are: Corn/Maize, Wheat, Soya, Peas, Potatoes, Barely, Oats, Grain, and Rice.

Even though I ended up only selecting a few, they keep telling me I checked an intolerance they can't currently support (they don't tell you what that is, either). What's the point of asking me to list intolerances and allergies if you won't allow me to take out what could harm my cats? I hope they continue to improve, because I like the idea, but so far the execution is failing to impress me. Not really sure how old or new the brand is. If they are very new I'll give them a chance, but so far it's a no from me.

You don't have to sign up to go through the questions (just click join), so if you want to explore yourself you're free to do so without the commitment. But since food subscriptions tend to be pricier than store bought, I'd say whatever it costs isn't worth the money if I can't completely tailor my cats' food to their needs like they advertise.

Republic of Cats how it works

Just thought I'd throw this brand out there in case anyone saw or heard of it and wanted to know more about it.
Thanks for the info. I won't even bother checking it out

Willowy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you in the US? It appears to be British anyway. Here are their available foods and ingredients lists (although I find European-standard pet food ingredient lists to be not informative enough):
Republic of Cats | Our Recipes

I suppose the model of sending different types of food to find out what your cat likes best, then putting it on autoship, is cool, but it doesn't look like there's anything special about their foods.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Show Me Your Kitties

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Are you in the US? It appears to be British anyway. Here are their available foods and ingredients lists (although I find European-standard pet food ingredient lists to be not informative enough):
Republic of Cats | Our Recipes
Yeah, I am. I must have missed the location, though some companies have no issues shipping internationally (can't say if that is true of this company or not). I'd say the ingredient lists aren't very informative, which doesn't make me want to try it any more than the questionnaire did. Thanks for the information! :salam: