New Food Recommendations?

Od3n

i name my cats weird stuff
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello all. I want to switch up my cats’ diets and I’m having some trouble finding a food they’ll ALL eat. Right now they eat dry food mixed with wet food, so I’ll need one of each. I don’t mind if it’s expensive but it can’t be too expensive, since I have nine cats to feed, and three are picky, but really they’re only picky with dry food.

They were originally on Meow Mix dry and Friskies wet (yuck I know, not my choice), and I tried out Canidae Limited Ingredient Chicken dry - and it was not a hit. They would eat it but they were not happy to. I then tried some Blue Buffalo dry and wet and they did devour the wet, but the three picky ones ignored the the dry food. I then tried Solid Gold Katz n Flocken and it was a huge hit ! But a normally not picky cat hated it, so I was back to square one. I recently tried Nulo cat and kitten cod flavor, and same thing happened as the Solid Gold - one cat refused to eat it, so she’s eating Meow Mix while everyone else eats Nulo.

Should I keep trying to find a food they’ll all like that isn’t garbage or should I buy two different day foods?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I can't help much with the dry food, but have you tried Fancy Feast? The pates are the best of their different options, in terms of ingredients. There are so many cats on this site that love this food - that is has been referred to as "kitty crack"!! When Feeby began to tire of her regular canned food, I ended up mixing FF with it and she now eats it with no problem. Maybe it being mixed with the 'most popular' dry amongst your cats would work?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
I have tried fancy feast in the past, and they do really like it - but some of my cats would throw it up and I wasn’t sure why because it would always be every other time they ate it, and it happened for all flavors, even the kitten version 😔

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
With nine cats to feed I think it's probably difficult to please them all. The most cats I ever had at once were four and one was the odd man out, so to speak. I couldn't get him to eat what the other three ate no matter how many choices or how hard I tried. Therefore, I fed him what he liked separately to keep everyone happy. I think you have to find a happy medium, i.e. decide what's best for you and your cats. Wishing you the best of luck. Bless you for caring for nine felines. :heartshape:

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Dry food isn't too good for kitties. Try feline natural, tiki cat, or rawz!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Od3n

Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Neetly! I actually have seven permanent pets, but two are foster kittens, which is where the 9 comes from (though at this point, it’s hgonna be really hard to find them homes because they’re bonded...and they also bonded to me 🥺). I think I’ll try a few more foods and if there’s still some resistance from them, I’ll just buy two different brands, I don’t mind doing it to keep them happy 😊

And druvendra, I was actually going to try tiki cat next! But I’m not sure if they carry the raw variety at my petsmart since they just received Tiki Cat in general, but I know their wet formulas are really good. I’m not sure if I can switch them all over to raw, since I know Smokey despises most meats, cooked or raw, by themselves, which is really strange. I’ve heard good stuff about Rawz too, and I’ll take a look at Feline Natural. My biggest issue is that my address is undeliverable so I can’t really order anything easily, so I have to be able to go to a store to pick something up - though I wonder if my post office can receive packages for me

druvendra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
And druvendra, I was actually going to try tiki cat next! But I’m not sure if they carry the raw variety at my petsmart since they just received Tiki Cat in general, but I know their wet formulas are really good. I’m not sure if I can switch them all over to raw, since I know Smokey despises most meats, cooked or raw, by themselves, which is really strange. I’ve heard good stuff about Rawz too, and I’ll take a look at Feline Natural. My biggest issue is that my address is undeliverable so I can’t really order anything easily, so I have to be able to go to a store to pick something up - though I wonder if my post office can receive packages for me
I actually wasn't aware Tiki held raw varieties! I was mostly talking about their After Dark line which from what I've seen is their most biologically appropriate line. Have you tried chewy? They seem to deliver to most location!