New Fish Tank

sylorna

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hey there
I got myself a new fishtank this weekend. It's 2.5 gallons and has a filter and an optional divider so I can put 2 betta fish in. I already had one, named Mirage and bought a second one which I quickly named Picasso. They really like their new place. Mirage is much more active and just 2 days after I put them in there I already had bubble nests (for the first time)!!

Thought I'd share some pictures

First is the tank. It's red and kind of glowy when I have the light on.

Then my older fish, Mirage

And last but not least, my new fish named Picasso.

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It is cute but they would be happier with just one fish in the whole tank...

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by fwan

what are bubble nests?
they are betta spit ... a happy healthy male will make them if in a tank with slow to know water surface movement... if allowed to mate the male will place the eggs ion the nest..

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You will probably ultimately lose one of the betas. They need to be kept alone or wtih a female (even a female will get harrased if only one). They are naturally aggressive with any fish with bright colors as they are seen as a threat.

I would recommend only having 1 beta and adding an oto, snail, or shrimp as some kind of clean-up crew. Even an African Dwarf Frog would go nicely with a beta and they are completely aquatic (but will climb out if not careful).

rang_27

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
As long as the tank is seperated they can't fight. I used to have a couple of male beta's in a tank that was split in half, but I could never get the air to run slow enough that they could build bubble nests.
BTW cool tank.

solaritybengals

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hehe I didn't even realize they were seperated
. It still would be better with one as they do prefer more space despite what is usually believed. Still some snails and shrimp might be kind of nice with them