New feral scaring away the cat we intend to adopt. Help?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: WE CAUGHT KITTY!!!!!!! It was a bit spur of the moment, so a door wasn't closed and now he's hiding under a dresser, but he's inside!!! I turned the lights low, but food and water, litter and his blanket inside. Harp music on my computer outside the door. We are kinda in shock. BUT HE'S IN!!!!!! Thank you all so much for the help and words of encouragement. We really couldn't have done this without all of your help ❤

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
UPDATE: WE CAUGHT KITTY!!!!!!! It was a bit spur of the moment, so a door wasn't closed and now he's hiding under a dresser, but he's inside!!! I turned the lights low, but food and water, litter and his blanket inside. Harp music on my computer outside the door. We are kinda in shock. BUT HE'S IN!!!!!! Thank you all so much for the help and words of encouragement. We really couldn't have done this without all of your help ❤
BEST NEWS I've had all day! He may take a week or two to venture out -- that's normal especially with a frightened cat who's been outdoors. Good food, fresh water, soft bed, a scratcher, climber, toys if possible, and yes, calming music -- all of these will help him feel very welcome and know he's in a very good place! Please keep us updated and we do love pix here at TCS!

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Old pic since I can't get one right now 😬 Should our main concern be getting kitty into a carrier to go to the vet? Or is it better to wait a bit?

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Old pic since I can't get one right now 😬 Should our main concern be getting kitty into a carrier to go to the vet? Or is it better to wait a bit?
You'll have to make an appointment as they don't take walk-ins at most vets/clinics, especially now during the pandemic.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Calling the vet tomorrow to make an appointment. In the meantime, Kubo has been meowing in the evening. I figure this is normal, but thought I would check in here. He is eating all his food and using the litterbox, which is amazing. We brought in his outdoor house so he would be more comfy, got him a fish toy with some catnip and I sprayed some feliway around the room. I just wondered if there was anything else we should be taking into account as to why he is yowling, besides being upset at being trapped. Those meows are so sad 😭.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi all! Calling the vet tomorrow to make an appointment. In the meantime, Kubo has been meowing in the evening. I figure this is normal, but thought I would check in here. He is eating all his food and using the litterbox, which is amazing. We brought in his outdoor house so he would be more comfy, got him a fish toy with some catnip and I sprayed some feliway around the room. I just wondered if there was anything else we should be taking into account as to why he is yowling, besides being upset at being trapped. Those meows are so sad 😭.
You're great cat guardians! Wonderful. No guess as to why he is "yowling" except that if he's not neutered, he may be wanting female company. NO, Kubo! Hope he gets an appointment soon with a great doctor.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Kubo has a clipped ear so I think he/she (honestly we have no idea but I hate calling the cat "it") has already been through TNR. Vet said to wait until he is able to be handled since he's already neutered. Do they still cry at night if they have been neutered? I can hear him now, almost sounds like a Canadian goose 🤔

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Kubo has a clipped ear so I think he/she (honestly we have no idea but I hate calling the cat "it") has already been through TNR. Vet said to wait until he is able to be handled since he's already neutered. Do they still cry at night if they have been neutered? I can hear him now, almost sounds like a Canadian goose 🤔
Not usually, although each cat, like each human, is an individual with a unique personality and actions. Sometimes older cats will cry at night, due to dementia, pain, or ??? but it is not usual for a neutered cat to be calling females unless he has JUST been neutered and his hormones have not calmed down. (I won't call a cat "it" either. s/he works for me.)

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
A super grainy pic of Kubo! From a few days ago, it was the first time he actually surveyed me. He ate in front of me for the first time tonight, though he was none too happy that I got so close to him to put the bowl down. He had some constipation issues that were resolved but we are monitoring that for the next few days. Still trying to get him to relax around me when I am in the room.

Attachments

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
A super grainy pic of Kubo! From a few days ago, it was the first time he actually surveyed me. He ate in front of me for the first time tonight, though he was none too happy that I got so close to him to put the bowl down. He had some constipation issues that were resolved but we are monitoring that for the next few days. Still trying to get him to relax around me when I am in the room.
Progress day by day. Constipation may be helped by mixing a spoonful or two of non-spiced pumpkin into his wet food.

Psyche

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Is it safe to incorporate that into a daily diet or is it more like a "medicine" to be taken when the issue arises?

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Is it safe to incorporate that into a daily diet or is it more like a "medicine" to be taken when the issue arises?
I have not read or heard that it is not "safe" but I wouldn't think it would be necessary to feed on a daily basis. My thinking would be to keep it for times when it is needed, like some humans do laxatives or other OTC remedies.

Mr. Meow

Special needs cat expert.
Super Cat
Purraise
It's safe, but usually not necessary. Purée pumpkin has a lot of fiber which makes kitty a bit more regular with his/her poops. I find it better to use when needed because it's almost seen as a "treat" when they don't get it every day.