New Feral Kitten Suddenly Aggressive

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,
I have taken in my first feral kitten and really need some advice. He's about 7-8 months old , neutered, and things were going great until last week.
He's been super affectionate, wanting me to pet him and purs a lot. He likes his large cage. He eats and sleeps and purrs all the time. Afterwards I let him roam the apartment confined to two rooms.
This week it seems every time he roams he gets totally out of control and so aggressive to the point of a bit scarey that I lure him outside with food. He comes back each evening, lets me pet him up, eats, purs and sleeps then we go through the same exact aggression routine the next day. What happened? Why the aggression now?
I feel like things went backwards in socializing him.

Draco

NOT Malfoy!
Veteran
Purraise
Has something happened while he was in that particular room where the behavior changed? Any sudden loud noises, inside or outside?

Do/did you have any other animals in the house?

Sounds like he's still adjusting to life indoors and there's a lot of new and scary things to him, it may take time for him to settle down. If you want him in full time, keep him confined to one room at a time, let him get settled there and slowly let him into the rest of the house.

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
With sudden behavior changes in cats, there can sometimes be a medical reason, such as pain. Can you check with a vet? When Physical Problems Turn Into Behavior Problems

This article gives more information about feline aggression: Cat Aggression Toward People

Something else I’m wondering is, since he seems to be more aggressive when let to roam the house, if there’s some windows that he can see outdoor cats through? This can cause redirected aggression in cats, when they feel like other cats are invading their “territory”: Re-directed Aggression In Cats

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for responding.
Nothing usual has changed and I'm in a very small apartment that he's been used to for months now.
He's so happy to be inside, I can see he doesn't want to go out!
It's obvious that he starts to play and is happy then he simply gets so excited but then gets out if controll. He loves the coach but in this mood he lays down and rips into the coach like he caught a rabbit! He starts biting hard on it and will then go into a stalking stance which now feel dangerous. It's like he doesn't know he's taking it too far and it kills me because he doesn't want to go outside. I have to lure him with food :(
I'm afraid there is no way to control that part of a feral.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Are you luring him outside each day? I would advise against doing that. You're fortunate that he has completely adjusted to being an indoor cat, and you don't want him to regress. There are so many dangers in being outdoors, I feel that only unsocialized or true ferals who are too stressed to be indoors should live outdoors. Getting hurt from fighting with other cats, catching diseases from other cats, getting hit by a car, getting poisoned or shot by neighbors who don't like cats, are some of the dangers they face outdoors. If he is content being indoors, work on resolving the problem indoors.

He is still a very young cat, and kittens have lots of energy. My younger cats are two and a half years old to 6 years old, and they sometimes go bonkers running amok in my house, chasing each other up and down the stairs, moving furniture around, and tearing the heck out of their cat tree and scratching posts, and occasionally my furniture. Healthy cats have a lot of energy, and some of them can become over-stimulated. Even when grooming a few of my cats, after a few minutes, they will become over-stimulated and try to nip and swipe at me. Catnip can also over-stimulate them. Your cat will calm down in time. If there is any change in his appetite like loss of appetite, litterbox issues (crying when using it, straining when trying to urinate, urinating outside the litter box) or any indication that he is in some kind of medical distress, take him to a vet. But more likely than not, he is young cat with a lot of energy who is developing some bad habits that can be corrected. One of my rescued cats frequently swiped and nipped at me when he was over-stimulated from grooming and petting and play. He very rarely does that now. I've learned to respect his boundaries and know his limits, and he has learned not to be aggressive. It takes time to fully socialize an outdoor or feral cat. I hope you will be patient and hang in there with him. Thanks for all you have already done!

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I have seen cases with our rescues where 1) he may have been separated from his litter too early and never taught by his siblings how to not play rough or 2) it maybe related to a super need for your attention/affection and this is his way of getting it. We had one rescue we carried a spray gun around for weeks since he would grab your leg with claws out! We finally gave in a devoted lots of time to play, holding, petting. Worked for Henry anyway.

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for your input. So it just happened again. He comes running to our front door. I open the door and he wants to be pet. Two minutes later he runs upstairs into his cage then into the kitchen so we know he's hungry. All the timeshowing how happy he is rubbing all against us. We feed him. He finishes the starts running like a crazy cat, ears down attacking everything. I lure him back to his cage which is essy and he immediately lays in his bed and purs.
Then the really funny thing is he meows for me. He'll sit up meow to get my attention. I'm thinking he wants out but as soon as I go by his cage he immediately lays down and is totally happy and closes his eyes. I have a little rod I stick in and pet his neck and he couldn't put any louder. If I let him ou, he walks around wants a pet then in 2 min he's a wild crazed animal. Ugh I'm lost

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Typo. Couldn't put any louder

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Typos killing me. Purs. I meant purs. Lol

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm afraid the spray will confuse him like I'm attacking him back. He's too wild and I'm afraid I'll provoke him to lunge

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I'm debating on TNL. Letting him stay out since the weather is breaking. I don't want to confuse him but I can't stand the thought of keeping him caged :(

trudy1

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Don’t spray him! That was just a Henry example! When Henry came to us he was already a BIG boy, we neutered him and took a while for that to take effect.

I hate to see you put him outside. From reading your posts you have to tempt him with food to go out. It’s a dangerous world out there if you can avoid it.

I still think if you get a couple of cheap scratching posts...

And an active toy like da bird. If he’ll play....play him till he pants.....some effort on your part but I think you will see results. As msaimee said his still young and lots of energy

It’s kind of like he runs through the apartment, gets fired up to play, then he’s all dressed up and no place to go! Suddenly he sees you...and well

Or you could.....get another kitten as a play partner...

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for all the input. I'll try as many things as I can since I'm so attached to him.
I just want to avoid keeping him caged.
Thanks again

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
One more question.
Our kitten (popo) came back again last night.
Went right to her cage and we fed him. Typically you already know i normally let him out but for a week he goes out of control so this time I kept him in his cage. He got all his crazies out and I talked and played with him through it. He finally was done and was all content and fell fast asleep. Same thing this morning ate, played , fell asleep.
Now I've decided there's only two choices, either I let him out but since most people are telling me I shouldn't, I can build a huge cage in our apartment. I can definitely do this but one part of me hates this thought. I'd rather he play in the backyard and get to climb his trees. Is this actually a good choice because it doesn't feel like a good choice.

shadowsrescue

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Please do not let him out. If you do it will be a very hard world for him full of dangers. Can you get a hold of any Composure calming treats or Composure liquid max? It is a non sedating supplement that might help him get a hold of his aggression.

When you play with him, are you using any wand toys where he can hunt, catch and kill the toy? There is a play structure that uses the approach Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep. You play with the cat with a wand toy and really get him moving. You want to wear him out. This involves the Hunt, Catch, Kill. Then you offer as a reward a small meal or special snack. This satisfies the eating of the prey. Next if he is worn out and had a small meal, he will be ready to groom himself and then take a nap.

You are also certain that he has been neutered? You didn't mention where you got him.

msaimee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Can you give him the run of your apartment? Do you have other cats inside? I don't see the purpose of caging him at this point. It's better to keep him confined in a room rather than a cage until you're sure he will be safe having the run of your apartment. Whether or not you decide for him to be an indoor only, or and indoor/outdoor cat depends on a lot of factors. My neighbors and I have been caring for an outdoor feral cat the past year who is semi-feral at this point. We have decided to continue to care for her as an outdoor cat. She is very well cared for, and we live on a safe dead-end street with woods around it. She is a homebody, spayed and does not wander. People who live on a street where there is a lot of traffic, or a lot of other cats, or neighbors who hate cats, do well to take their cat indoors. But if your cat is indicating no desire to go outside and would like to remain inside, then I suggest you work on his behavior with him indoors.

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Please do not let him out. If you do it will be a very hard world for him full of dangers. Can you get a hold of any Composure calming treats or Composure liquid max? It is a non sedating supplement that might help him get a hold of his aggression.

When you play with him, are you using any wand toys where he can hunt, catch and kill the toy? There is a play structure that uses the approach Hunt, Catch, Kill, Eat, Groom, Sleep. You play with the cat with a wand toy and really get him moving. You want to wear him out. This involves the Hunt, Catch, Kill. Then you offer as a reward a small meal or special snack. This satisfies the eating of the prey. Next if he is worn out and had a small meal, he will be ready to groom himself and then take a nap.

You are also certain that he has been neutered? You didn't mention where you got him.
Hi again, yes we had him neurured. I was reading the last post and I do have a common situation. I live on a dead end and he's a homebody. Doesn't go far and will come the minute he hears me. I'll take you're advice and keep trying to tame his wild behavior since I'd love to keep him inside. Step by step and I'm sure I'll know what to do eventually. Thanks again.

piano cat

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
ARe you sure he's not just playing? The boys can be pretty rough. As mentionned above, can you try to be sure he gets lots of play with you? Appropriate play with no biting or hooks out. Some cats have a strong need to play fight and play catch prey and sometimes actually encouraging that behaviour on a stuffed toy can help. A cat sized stuffed cat maybe, from the thrift store. Watch to be he doesnt' get stuffing out and ingest it. ONe of our male cats went nuts for his toy which had those eyes on it that move around and rattle. :)

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
ARe you sure he's not just playing? The boys can be pretty rough. As mentionned above, can you try to be sure he gets lots of play with you? Appropriate play with no biting or hooks out. Some cats have a strong need to play fight and play catch prey and sometimes actually encouraging that behaviour on a stuffed toy can help. A cat sized stuffed cat maybe, from the thrift store. Watch to be he doesnt' get stuffing out and ingest it. ONe of our male cats went nuts for his toy which had those eyes on it that move around and rattle. :)
Hi, yes he difinetly starts out with what looks like play but within 2min it out right attack anything in its path. Nails out biting everything scratching with bsck legs like he caught a rabbit lol. There's no real controlling him although we got through one of these episodes tonight. Was tough but my husbands not afraid and kept him in check so his aggression didn't end up at us. It was a first so we'll just keep trying. What's crazy is when he's done or in the middle of this we get him back in his cage, he lays down and within a few minutes he's looking for me to pet him. It's like jekyl and Hyde lol

Kats555

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
IMG_3361.JPG You'll never believe This was him last week , the first two days we let him out. Looks like the most happy kitten. A week later It seemed like instead of laying down sweet he gets crazy. Nothing odd in the room actually quite bare just goes into detail mediate play attack that's scarey lol