New Diet food for Gigi

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi,
Wanted to know if anyone has used the vet diet food called, Purina OM. My vet had Gigi on Science diet for over a year and she lost some, not that great, also was hungry all the time. Last time she went Vet changed it to the Purina, I just started her on it Mar 29, and mixing it for at least a week with her old. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this food and what they thought.
Thanks

sharky

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Originally Posted by sbd45

Hi,
Wanted to know if anyone has used the vet diet food called, Purina OM. My vet had Gigi on Science diet for over a year and she lost some, not that great, also was hungry all the time. Last time she went Vet changed it to the Purina, I just started her on it Mar 29, and mixing it for at least a week with her old. I just wanted to know if anyone has tried this food and what they thought.
Thanks
My vet prefers Purina to Science except for allergies ..... My cat will no longer eat the n/f purina since I introduced merrick and some other canned.. Good luck with the wt loss ....

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had my cats on Purina OM when one of them had a problem with diarrhea. Neither of them lost any weight (which was good since one is at a health weight and the other needed to gain some) Portion control is key with those foods. You might also talk to the vet about whether canned food would be helpful. Since canned foods are mostly made up of water, I would think they would have fewer calories but still help the cat feel full. Are you feeding in meals?

christine chand

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise

Hi,
Thanks
My cat lost minimal wt on Science Diet - but this was not a prescription but the "light" formula you can buy at petsmart.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

sbd45

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
cloud_shade,
I feed her 3/8 of cup dry per day broken down to two meals and also give her about two tablespoons of wet, both times. On the bag of OM it says to give her more, which I have to confer with Vet about. She did say it had better results than the Science Diet. Another 3 days and she should be just on the OM. She is 15 lbs. and we think she should go down some. Hopefully maybe to 12. She is a lazy cat, when I try to play with her, she bats things laying down. If I was younger I would chase her around the house. But then again she would probably hide somewhere. She is 6 years old.

cloud_shade

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise

cloud_shade,
I feed her 3/8 of cup dry per day broken down to two meals and also give her about two tablespoons of wet, both times. On the bag of OM it says to give her more, which I have to confer with Vet about. She did say it had better results than the Science Diet. Another 3 days and she should be just on the OM. She is 15 lbs. and we think she should go down some. Hopefully maybe to 12. She is a lazy cat, when I try to play with her, she bats things laying down. If I was younger I would chase her around the house. But then again she would probably hide somewhere. She is 6 years old.
Have you tried the laser pointers? Even my boyfriend's lazy cat plays with it sometimes. Plus, you can make them zoom across the room without having to get up yourself.

3cathouse

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My guys are on Science Diet R/D. They get about 1/8 C Dry + 1/6 can twice a day. I sometimes wonder if thats enough nutrition, but the vet says its ok and it seems to finally be taking some weight off (Abbey was 22-23 lbs for a while).