New Declawed Cat

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Can declawed cats co-exist with those who aren't? Can they defend themselves adequately? Thanks.

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I think I remember reading your long post yesterday
I think you mentioned you got the cat from an ad where the owners were getting rid of it and it has all 4 paws declawed.... I am sorry I don't have an answer, but I am sure someone will be along to help you out soon. I will do a search in the meantime and see if I can find any info for you.

arlyn

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have 3 front declawed cats, 1 fully declawed cat, and 2 cats with all their claws.

They can do just fine together.

misscharlotte

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When I adopted Charlotte, she had already been 4-paw declawed. Izzie, on the other hand, is not declawed. I have only seen 2 marks on Charlotte's head that I believe were from Izzie's back claws but both were very superfiical wounds. I trim Izzie's front claws and I think it helps to reduce any potential injuries during playtime. My two cats get along very well and I have never seen them fight.

lolligirl63

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
My cat,Elroy,is always tangling with my 7 year old son. My son comes out of
it scratched and crying. Elroy is very tempermental. Once,Elroy chased down a little boy,then scratched the child's legs. Well,ithe child shouldn't have provoked Elroy.

Lolli

sammie5

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sam is front declawed. He is also a large cat, so he can stay out of reach of smaller cats, and still bop them on the head. He does use his back feet for defence, and I find that he bites more than Bailey, who is not declawed. So I have not seen him have any problems defending himself with any other animals. However, he hasn't had to, all they do is play fight.

When he was feeling cornered by the pet dog, he did get very threatened, his fur stood up, he growled, and then used both front paws and teeth to try and scare the dog away. Fortunately, the dog was very placid, used to cats, and just walked away, so there was no need for more.

eburgess

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't see why not. Just keep an eye on them. Try not to leave them alone whem you're gone for the first week or so then go from there.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes he had all four declawed in January to "protect" the new dog against him.

I haven't left him alone with any of the other cats yet, nor exposed him to more than one of the others at a time. They seem fine, especially my adult cats, which I expected. But he growls if they get too close so I'm just taking it real slowly. I feel bad because it's an older cat, not only that but he's outnumbered and has no claws

squirtle

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
You might want to read up a bit on the suggestions of how to introduce new cats into the household. If you do a search you should be able to find some great advice. This is a big change for the kitty and I know being older makes it that much harder. I just wanted to also add that I think it is wonderful you rescued him. It's sad that his family gave him up, but it's so wonderful that you are working so hard to make him comfortable and safe in his new home
Good luck and please let us know how they get along.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

notme1295

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
As I type "Mr Jinx" (see story of name at the end of the message) is sitting on a file cabinet next to my computer desk, sleeping. He's been allowed to wander free today with supervision of course. My cats are barely curious of him, and less so now that there isn't a door separating them. (The kittens were camping outside the door of the bedroom he's been staying in). He's the only cat in the room. He seems very content. When the other cats get too close, he growls, and there has been a hiss here or there, but none of them have even batted at each other. So far so good.

I appreciate the suggestions about introducing a cat to a household and I'm sure they work very well, but I think it's going well so far and it will be awhile before they're left alone-- and I'm not going to be keeping them 100% isolated. I'm always right up next to Mr Jinx when he gets nervous, petting him and trying to show him he's safe and protected, and he seems to understand that because the couple of times he's felt theratened I've come and sat or lied down next to him and he ends up relaxing and stops the growling, etc.

On a sidenote, his original name happened to be the same name as my 15 year old sister, so there is no way we could keep it. Except for not having hair quite as long, he looks almost exactly like Mr. Jinx from Meet the Parents (black tail and all), so that's what we've decided on. He's a big lazy old cat, a real sweetheart

maverick_kitten

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
my kitten bats the dog everytime he gets too close and doesnt use claws and does just fine. he seems to know that a smack round the head is all thats needed and theres no need to scratch too. lol

i read somewhere that declawed cats can be prone to biting or agression as they know they cant rely on their claws to defend themselves if need be. it makes them a little more defensive.

unless your cats are aggressive i dont see any reason why Mr Jinx shouldnt be fine.

ps. what was his original name?

kittycatlover24

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My Cat Sassy has her front declawed and she is still an excellent hunter. She loves to catch rats, birds, mice, you name it and leaves them on my moms step as a present
It's almost like she thinks that her nails are still there.