New Couch Concerns?

catalinacat

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Just bought a new couch and am having it delivered later this month.
I’m having second thoughts about my choice and need some inputs.

I chose one that was microfiber material. I’m now realizing that cat hair might stick all over it and that it might be kind of time cosuming to clean compared to the pleather one that we have now. Is this really the case? How do you make sure to keep the cat hair to a minimum?

Also my cat doesn’t scratch our current sofa thankfully, but I’m not sure how she’d react to the new sofa as the material is different. Is there any way to make sure she won’t end up using it as a scratching post?

I’m having second thoughts if leather may have actually been the better choice?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Well our dog's hair created more havoc than the cat's hair so I eventually gave up, lol. :biggrin: However, I use quilts on both sofas, i.e. family room and living room. They're easy to pull off if company comes over and I can wash them whenever they need to be cleaned.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a microfiber couch, and I love it. I don't think cat hair sticks to it very badly, except where Mingo sleeps on the top of one cushion. During shedding season, hair can accumulate there.

It only shows scratches a tiny bit, but I still put a cardboard scratcher at the arm they wanted to go to, and now they don't bother the couch at all.

You made a wise choice and you won't regret it.

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I periodically lightly mist the edges of my sofa with Feliway Classic spray. It discourages Mocha from scratching in those spots. When I first adopted her, and before she understood the concept of scratching posts, I had to do it daily. Now it’s only every few months when she seems to have a memory lapse. :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I had to put sheets over all the furniture to get the cats to stop scratching. Leather really isn't any better, Demi clawed up the back of my leather computer chair. :headshake:

mazie

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If you do not wish to put down throws or quilts to keep the hair off like neely suggested, I would closely monitor her when the sofa arrives and where she lies, check underneath her when she gets up and see how bad the fur is going to stick. This sofa is for you and the other humans in your house, not for your pets. Buy the sofa you like, after all, our fur babies are with us for life, so for at least the next 20 years, you want your house to look like you want it, furniture and all! We can always protect what we like by covering it up except when company is there. If her fur sticks too much for your comfort, a lovely quilt or throw will take care of that, where she lies. :) Enjoy your new sofa!;)

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
She has her own towels for where she sleeps. I have them on the cat trees, and in front of windows, etc. I have a couple of throws on the furniture. I just use sticky rollers to get up the hair on these before throwing them in the wash.

Diana Faye

Always and Forever, Irving
Adult Cat
Purraise
::Taking notes to discourage couch scratching:::

I have a couch that is like a faux microfiber. When I'm not lazy, I have a blanket covering the chaise section and more blankets covering the top. My last cat liked to sleep on the cushions, but my current ones not so much. The chaise seems to be the popular place to lounge, so that's why that has a blanket. When I am lazy, a hot, damp washcloth seems to bring up a lot of the cat hair. If you can make it a habit to brush/ wipe it off regularly, it's not that bad to keep up with. Not perfect, but not bad. Then again, as a cat owner I've already accepted a certain amount of hair in my life so I might be biased.