New Cats Fighting Resident Cat, Help Please!

Catterina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We’ve had an indoor cat (Callista/female) that we adopted out of some kittens that we fostered 7 years ago. About a month ago, we decided to adopt 2 adult cats from a rescue where they were taken from a breeder/hoarding situation of about 60 cats after their owners died, they are around 5-6yrs old (Pursia/male, Daphne/female). The new cats we kept separate for 2 weeks because they were sick with upper respiratory infections & we were treating them with meds. We slowly increased times that our resident cat got peeks of the new ones & started feeding them on separate sides of a baby gate. From there we let the new cats wonder the house while our other cat was asleep. We have let the cats all out in spurts & every single time there is a fight. We thought it would be our resident cat, Callista, as the agressor/protector of her domain but it’s the new ones who are constantly chasing her. Often it seems without provoking as she is trying to avoid or sneak past them. I think the male, Pursia seems to be the most eager to kill her. The other, Daphne has gone after her too though she has a permanent head tilt from a previous bad ear infection so she sleeps or hides more where Pursia likes to lay in the open or wherever we are in the house. These fights are ugly! Screaming, hissing, furballs flying!! It’s horrifying to watch. Callista is afraid to come out anymore when she knows they are out so we have been operating very carefully in shifts. We do still try to feed them wet food twice a day near each other. Please tell me this can/will get better? My husband is ready to return the new cats but I would really like to see this work out. Also to note, the 2 new ones have gotten into a couple fights themselves but it’s not really been an issue like with our resident cat. All cats are neutered. I’m not sure what we’ve gotten ourselves into but it’s all very stressful.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I think introducing 2 new cats onto her turf is extremely stressful for her. So being the bad guy here, if you are thinking about your resident cat's well being as top priority, then yes return them. Try adopting one cat or kitten.

If you are going to try to keep them I would break up the 2 cats and let her get used to one first (the female?) and then introduce the third cat to the other two. I'm assuming no blood has been drawn and so far the fighting has been mild? I would let the cats swap territory for half the day so they can smell each other. I would also work on feeding them on either side of a closed door ... then maybe on either side of a baby gate. My boys used to do a gang up stare at the semi-feral when he came into my room (which has all the cat stuff.) It took time but they finally accepted him in their space.. and now I joke I got a third cat. My point is though my boys annoy each other they will gang up on any threat. So your two bonded cats are always going to gang up on her & try to rule this new home. So if you break up the dynamic and introduce your resident cat to the female only... and wait until the two females have bonded to bring in the male cat, they might get along. Having lots of food bowls, litter boxes & trees will help prevent any cat from guarding a resource. So lots of cat shelves and trees will help. When you go to introduce the male, I would try to tire him out with play first.

Honestly I would not attempt what you are doing ... but I have enough issues going on in my life with MS, I do not need my pets giving me more. I'm hoping both cats are just insecure and that the male is not cat aggressive. Because they came from a hoarding situation they might be used to fighting over limited resources. I had a cat aggressive stray that was super love-able to people but full on aggressive to our cats. It took us 18 months to find him an only cat home. Since your male gets along with one cat I'm hoping he is just insecure & needs to play.
:goodluck::crossfingers:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catterina

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for the links, I look forward to finding some helpful information!

I did not think about the 2 newcomers ganging up on my kitty! That definitely seems to be what’s going on. The fights I do not think are mild. I have been able to intervene each time. Thankfully there has been no blood or serious facial injuries (I keep all nails short!) but there has been a large amount of hair loss.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hopefully in time, they will all be best buds, or at least will be able to tolerate each other's presence. Keep us posted. Good luck.:crossfingers: