New cat

marcusminaya

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I just got a new kitten (5 and a half months old) and want to create a strong feeling of trust between us. His brother was taken away from him a few days before I adopted him, and he seems depressed; he won't eat unless I hold him and feed him with a spoon, and after he has eaten, he won't defecate in his litter box. I've only had him for two days, and he seems to be okay when he's in my covers or closet. If you know what I can do to make him feel comfortable and safe, please comment.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Maybe too much sensory overload. If he wants to stay in the closet, let him stay there. Don't rush it. Cats gotta work on their own timeline. Do make sure he has something of yours to sleep on that has your scent on it (dirty socks or a dirty shirt) so he gets acclimated to it. Even though he's an adolescent (normally, this is for little kittens), maybe you could get him a ticking clock to simulate mom's or his siblings' heartbeat. That might soothe him.

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
When I bring a new kitty into my home, I isolate them for about 2 weeks in a spare bedroom, or until they've adjusted to the sights, sounds, smells, and routine of my house. I also can monitor their eating and litter box habits. I leave a radio playing soft classical music and give them a stuffed animal to snuggle with. I visit them frequently and play with them, love on them, and let them get comfortable with me and start learning their name.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It is very hard for cats that are used to being with other cats to come to a new home ... but they will adjust. Like everyone else said ... every cat is different - some will walk into their new home and act like it is no big deal .... others want to hide for a few weeks or prefer the top of the shelf of the closet. Most cats prefer to have hiding spots and high spots ... cat shelves, play trees, boxes, tunnels will make them feel safe in a big open room. Let the baby be wherever he likes to be ... and explore on his own. I aways free feed my new fosters and have kibble available at all times - close to their comfort spot ... once they are comfortable they can transition to mealtimes ( but we free feed even without extra cats here) .... Some only eat at dusk and dawn or at night - when they feel they are safe and nobody is watching them... I found that insecure kittens often like to be brushed ... a slicker brush or a bristle brush feels a bit like a cat tongue ...