New cat won’t come out of his room yet

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - Tomorrow has now been with me for 4 weeks and he’s still so anxious. Doesn’t come out of his room only darts across to mine. Runs a little bit and right back into his room. He seems to be doing better with Stormi. He doesn’t hiss nor growl when she’s in his room playing. He will growl if she chases him.

My concern is that he’s by himself in the room. I go in a few times during the day to feed him, check on him and our daily play sessions. These sessions involves him watching Stormi and me playing, he doesn’t really join in. I’ve began leaving his door open with the gate up so that he knows we’re close by. He’ll meow for a while and do his zoomies. I feel so bad. Is he lonely?

Stormi is the gray cat. Tomorrow is the black cat.

Attachments

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
It's perfectly normal for your cat to take time to adjust to his new environment - time and patience are the key. It's definitely a good sign that he doesn't hiss or growl at your other cat so that's a good start. Do you work from home? If so, I would try to interact with him more than a few times a day even if it's only sitting on the floor reading, offering treats or petting him gently just to keep him company. Have you tried a Feliway diffuser?

There are several Articles that may also have some helpful information for you:
Note desensitization in this one - How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

And last but not least this one has some great tips/advice: How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, fingers crossed Tomorrow and Storm will become best friends. :crossfingers::crossfingers:

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
ANY coming out of his safe room is good. I would bet in another month he will be much more relaxed and coming out more. Some cats just need more time. Growling, hissing, and swatting are all perfectly normal behaviors at this stage and beyond, they are trying to set up a hierarchy in the household. I bet your little girl becomes boss!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's perfectly normal for your cat to take time to adjust to his new environment - time and patience are the key. It's definitely a good sign that he doesn't hiss or growl at your other cat so that's a good start. Do you work from home? If so, I would try to interact with him more than a few times a day even if it's only sitting on the floor reading, offering treats or petting him gently just to keep him company. Have you tried a Feliway diffuser?

There are several Articles that may also have some helpful information for you:
Note desensitization in this one - How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

And last but not least this one has some great tips/advice: How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck, fingers crossed Tomorrow and Storm will become best friends. :crossfingers::crossfingers:
Thank you. And yes, i have the Feliway diffusers set up throughout the apartment.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
ANY coming out of his safe room is good. I would bet in another month he will be much more relaxed and coming out more. Some cats just need more time. Growling, hissing, and swatting are all perfectly normal behaviors at this stage and beyond, they are trying to set up a hierarchy in the household. I bet your little girl becomes boss!
Thanks. I guess i need to be more patient. Just worried.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I guess i need to be more patient. Just worried.
Join the club, we all worry so you're in good company here. 😉 Patience will pay off in the end. Remember baby steps and take it slow.