New Cat With IBS

Tabs89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I just adopted a cat with IBS and would like to know other people's experiences with IBS in their cat. My new cat is an absolute sweetheart, and over 10 years old. I want to make sure he's comfortable and try to control this. What products have helped you with your IBS cat and do you have any advice for a new IBS cat owner?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Here are two good web sites with tons of info:

IBS and IBD are generally treated the same way. Every cat is different so it may take time to figure out what works best for your cat. It's generally a novel protein diet and steroids to control inflammation as needed.

My cat's IBD is managed with diet and prednisolone. I've always feed him a commercial raw diet so it was no major change to feed him only rabbit. In the beginning the vet had my cat on a bunch of different meds: antibiotics, antacid, pred. My cat only needs a small dose of pred every other day to control symptoms. He also gets monthly B12 injections. Along the way, I discovered that chicken and pretty much al poultry and beef will cause a flare up. When he does have a rare flare up, I have vet-approved Cerenia and antacid on hand to give if needed.

You don't need (junky and expensive) prescription hydrolyzed food or anything. If the vet insists, just give a polite and firm NO and leave it at that. There are limited ingredient diet foods in a novel protein that you can feed. The Rawz brand of canned foods are often suggested. It's bland-ish and filler free. There are other brands out there that cost less and more widely available. Home cooked and raw diets are also options.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
It's wonderful you've adopted a senior cat!!!

Is he presenting any symptoms right now? What kind of food does he eat, and is he taking any medications or supplements?

My 9 year old boy has IBD and we've been managing it with diet and supplements for a few years. A lot of trial and error to find his trigger foods in the beginning helped us create a list of ingredients to avoid. We also did a lot of research with some veterinary nutritionists and it was incredibly helpful. Most days he's his usual spunky self 😻

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Tabs89

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
It's wonderful you've adopted a senior cat!!!

Is he presenting any symptoms right now? What kind of food does he eat, and is he taking any medications or supplements?

My 9 year old boy has IBD and we've been managing it with diet and supplements for a few years. A lot of trial and error to find his trigger foods in the beginning helped us create a list of ingredients to avoid. We also did a lot of research with some veterinary nutritionists and it was incredibly helpful. Most days he's his usual spunky self 😻
I've only had him for 48 hours now, but he is having liquid diarrhea (mostly in the box). Otherwise I think he's doing well, he could maybe be a little more spritely, but I bet he doesn't feel the best because of the diarrhea. He was sent home with Purina HA and Hills Z/D food for his diet. I'll be taking him to the vet on Monday for his first vet visit and hope to start him on prednisolone and a probiotic. He loves company, eating and looking outside on his perch, so I think he's okay for right now. I just want to make sure he's comfortable and happy.

He is the biggest sweetheart and you can tell how much love he has in his heart! I love senior cats and I knew I wanted a cat-friendly senior male cat to contrast with my 8 year old, submissive female cat. His IBS/intestinal lymphoma an 4/6 grade heart murmur is just extra.

Astragal14

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
He sounds like an amazing kitty! Being in a new home only 48 hours probably isn't helping the diarrhea, either. I hope he feels better after his vet visit and a little time to settle into his new home. Have you heard of Visbiome probiotic? The ER gave this to my cat when he had to stay there during a really bad IBD episode, it's the most amazing probiotic! And I've seen it recommended by several veterinary nutritionists since then. It's done wonders for my kitty!
Visbiome® Vet