New Cat With Eye Infection

NewCatDad

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I am a first-time cat owner. I brought home my 7 month old black cat yesterday (10/15) from the shelter. At the shelter, she had some eye discharge, but the people at the shelter didn't seem to worry. She was in high spirits, rolling around in my lap, demanding attention, purring, etc.

She's now been in her new home for about a day and a half now. She's starting to come out of hiding when I'm not around. She finally ate today and used the litter box (after peeing on my bed). But she hisses at me if I get too close to her hiding spot. Thus, I have a two part question.

1. What do I do about the hissing? I don't want to back down and give in to her, but I don't want to overwhelm her.

2. How do I check her eye if she won't let me anywhere near her and is hiding under my dresser where I can't reach. This behavior seems totally normal and I want to give her the space she needs to adjust, but I also want to check on her eye/wipe it. I'm planning to take her to the vet on Saturday morning

Any advice for what to do in this situation?

stephanietx

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Congratulations on your new kitty! Sounds like she's a little scared, which is totally normal. Many kitties will growl and hiss when they are in a new environment and the best thing for them is TLC, time, and patience. I would encourage you to sit on the floor near where she's hanging out and talk softly and gently to her. Read her a book or your mail, the newpaper, facebook, whatever. She needs to become comfortable with your smell and your voice. Also sitting on the floor with her makes you less scary and puts you more on her level. If possible, take her a small serving of smelly wet food (Royal Canin Babycat is my favorite for kittens) and offer her that every time you sit with her. She will come to associate you with food and that's a good thing.

When you leave home, play classical music for her as that's calming for kitties. If it's dark, be sure to leave a light or nightlight on for her as well so she can see.

I know it's hard not to do, but try not to stress out. She will pick up on that and it will only aggravate the situation.