New cat WAS using the litter tray...now using the bed!!

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all

I thought I'd done a good job of acquainting our outdoor cat to the indoors with a mixed tray of litter and soil from the courtyard - where he (still) spend most of his time. He used this tray straight away.

But today, he bypassed that and peed... then later pooed, on the bed. My partner seems to think he might have been agitated, and this might be the cause. Short of keeping the bedroom door permanently shut when he's around, any advice on getting him out of this behaviour? Thanks

(Note: he has been neutered and comes in twice a day while we get the existing female cat who lives here (also sterilised) used to his presence)

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hmmm... wonder if he was marking your bed as his territory?

Not sure how to prevent it happening again, though keeping the bedroom door closed would keep the bed "out of bounds. Do ensure you launder the bedding with an enzyme cleaner to ensure his scent is completely removed.

Here's a TCS article with more info: How To Get Cat Pee Smell Out Of Clothes And Linens – TheCatSite Articles

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Good tip about enzyme cleaner...thanks

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
How long ago was he neutered? Hormones remain in the system for a good three weeks, so if it was more recent than that, it may well be territorial (and could be anyway...all cats are territorial, unneutered/unspayed ones simply more so). Also, it is just possible that he may have a UTI. That will cause a cat to avoid the box, as they associate the pain of urinating with the box, not their own back end.

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
The cat is one year old and he was neutered 3 months ago. We are gradually introducing him to our flat, where an existing blind cat lives. So he comes in for breakfast and dinner. He occasionally uses the tray - more often than not he does his business outside. It was just this one day.

There has been agitation between both cats as we integrate them. they haven't spent time in the same room yet. The blind one hisses at our new one through the window!

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Since there is a little aggitation, which is normal, I'm thinking that this is territorial, more than anything else. And you said that so far, it has been a one-off? It may be fine, then. If it repeats, we'll dig into this further!

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Indeed. At the beginning of November, I will be traveling back from Serbia to the UK. It will be a 2/3 day trip across countries with both cats in the back of a vehicle. It could be tough for them, especially Fleaso, the blind one. So we are working, patiently on the basis of trying to get the cats acquainted and Bob familiar with spending more and more time inside. We are a month in, with three months to go to make this happen (as best as) possible! Thanks

JimmyL

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Great idea. I have already got some advice. The main point is that if I flew into the UK (
a shorter trip), the cats would have to go into the hold (i.e separated from me). That would be too much for Fleso. The long trip will be uncomfortable, but I will be with her all the way!! Thanks.