New cat was outgoing but now seems afraid

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
We just adopted a new cat on Wednesday, and as the title states, his attitude seems to have changed which has me concerned.

For a bit of information regarding Wonton (approx 1 years old), we adopted him from a shelter 9 hours away so had a bit of a road trip together. He was INCREDIBLY affectionate and outgoing at the shelter as well as the drive home. He was so incredibly calm the whole drive which was shocking, and did amazingly well. When we brought him home, we separated him from our other cat (2.5 year old female cat). We let them see each other a bit and he was at that point even very chill, and didn't mind her at all. We kept them seperated for the following days, doing the steps like swapping scents, then seeing each other a bit with positive association (treats, etc.) As of last night they've had time out together while supervised, and it's going surprisingly well. Gnocchi, my resident cat, is very interested in him although a bit nervous, and unfortunately did swat a few times originally. I think that is what caused his anxiety unfortunately, and I'm really scared he won't bounce back. Although he was so calm and doing so well the first couple days, now he seems shy. He still likes to come out into the main room where she is to lay down, and he is eating and using the litter box perfectly fine, and loves to play! but he seems more hesitant about my partner and I which is odd since he was so outgoing before... His tail is down most the time, and he goes from room to room pacing (but he doesn't hide under the bed or couch at all, always in plain sight just on the floor..) when they interact now, they bump noses and he never reacts poorly (she doesn't swat very much in those circumstances now and is much calmer about his presence.) I had read that its good for my current cat to show a bit of dominance without hurting him, (which she did with a few, non violent swats), but I'm really concerned that traumatized him. I am also wondering whether this has to do with the fact that he has not been neutered yet. He wasn't able to due to covid, but we have an appointed booked for mid June!

Anyways, sorry this post is a bit of a jumbled mess. I'm probably overreacting at this point, as they are doing really well compared to before, but I'm scared my resident cat traumatized him or something.. just because of his behaviour changing so much. If you have any insight I'd really appreciate it right now!!

(He is the fluffy one in my photo!)

Attachments

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi!
Try some cat music, there's Spotify, YouTube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.

Also, be sure to ease your own stress. Whatever it was that caused him stress after initially being so calm, he'll need to work it out. (Did they give him a calming product by chance?)

Whichever the case, allow him emotional space, and go about your normal routines so that he has a chance to learn the house schedules at his own pace :).

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Hi!
Try some cat music, there's Spotify, YouTube, RelaxMyCat and MusicForCats as sources.

Also, be sure to ease your own stress. Whatever it was that caused him stress after initially being so calm, he'll need to work it out. (Did they give him a calming product by chance?)

Whichever the case, allow him emotional space, and go about your normal routines so that he has a chance to learn the house schedules at his own pace :).
We have been playing some calming cat music actually! And they didn't give him any calming products, no. Although I bought some calming spray yesterday and have sprayed it around the house, which has seemed to help our resident cat but not Wonton.

Thank you for the response! Hopefully this passes and Gnocchi didn't traumatize him! I guess my big concern right now is that when Gnocchi swats at Wonton that it's scaring him more and more, although that is going to happen unfortunately during this phase.

Last edited:

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
When you do have the opportunity within reasonably normal house schedules, love on wonton a lot and play with him :)

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
Even for the most outgoing and confident cat change can be really stressful. New home, new parents, new sibling cat is a lot. And the stress effect of all those things can be cumulative and enough to push him into before quieter or more defensive than he was initially. He will overcome it I am sure, but he needs some time.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Even for the most outgoing and confident cat change can be really stressful. New home, new parents, new sibling cat is a lot. And the stress effect of all those things can be cumulative and enough to push him into before quieter or more defensive than he was initially. He will overcome it I am sure, but he needs some time.
Absolutely. Thanks for your response. :)

Today there has been a lot more chasing, stalking, etc from my original cats end. It concerns me as Wonton seems unsure and runs away, but there is no hissing, ears pinned back, signs of actual fighting whatsoever. I am just scared of him being so unsure... But at this point, since neither cat is fighting, is it ok for them to work it out on their own?

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I would say yes, provided that Wonton isn’t so stressed that he isn’t eating or using the litterbox. I think your resident cat may just be fascinated with him and probably thinking about engaging him in play. At this point it still creeps Wonton out but he is a young cat and will change his mind quickly.

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I would say yes, provided that Wonton isn’t so stressed that he isn’t eating or using the litterbox. I think your resident cat may just be fascinated with him and probably thinking about engaging him in play. At this point it still creeps Wonton out but he is a young cat and will change his mind quickly.
That's what I was thinking/hoping as well, just wanted to make sure I was doing the right thing :)

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
How are things going?
Honestly, things are all over the place! Wonton seems to be pretty comfortable, but watching him and Gnocchi live together is such a roller coaster ride! A few times a day now they have little "fights". I put fights in quotations because there's definitely no blood, and it is always beginning with one cat trying to play.

Esssentially what's been happening over the past few days, is that Gnocchi often runs at Wonton to play, or playfully swats, etc, and as soon as he chases her or tries to play back, she gets upset and hisses, fur goes up, and she hides. This has been happening quite frequently. Wonton also now initiates playtime when she is not in the mood which gets her quite mad. Wonton doesnt seem phased at all though, and gnocchi also bounces back very quickly. Sometimes she seems unsure of him for a bit after and vice versa, but they are continuing to eat, use the litter boxes and coexist mostly.

Not sure if this is something i should be worried about? I know the introduction must be going quite well if they coexist fine, and both attempt to play together, but will these little incidents become an issue or will they work it out? We are still keeping them seperated when they can't be watched, and give Wonton little timeouts (put him in the same room for 10-30 minutes) when Gnocchi seems a bit shaken up after an incident.

Should I be changing anything? Or does this all sound good for the most part?

PJBoy

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Yes, absolutely :thumbsup:
They'll work out those little incidents, and you're doing a marvelous job, good for you!!
Thank you!! I am just still so unsure, as at no point have they been able to play successfully without it turning into one of them getting cornered/overwhelmed, and a yelling/hissing/hiding thing happening which is definitely alarming. Do you think they could be out at night together yet (with our doors open to allow them both in and out of our room) since they aren't too comfortable with each other because of some play fights going wrong, but are generally ok? Or better to play it safe and not yet? I am so nervous about doing the wrong thing!

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think some members would say to let them out. You can always separate them if things happen to get too rough, but they'll likely be ok :)