New Cat Tree!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Happy caterday everyone!
So, last week the top perch on Sammie's cat tree started being wabbly. It was screwed in as tight as it could go, so my dad added a washer to the screw hoping it would help.
It didn't. I took it apart, only to discover that part of the plastic around the hole was broken inside. So...my search began. Last Sunday, I spent the afternoon searching cat trees to find the best one, for the best price.
I looked at A LOT! (Only paid $50 for the old one at Walmart. Got approx. 6-7? Years out of it, so not bad).
I looked at Walmart, Target, Wayfair, Amazon, read reviews, (noticed on a lot of trees, the shelves we're to lined up, so no place for a kitty to jump up on as a step to the top one, wanted to make sure it was sturdy, etc.....)
I ended up finding a great one on Chewy.com. It's a pretty good size one. (Med. In their categories). It was only $39.00. 48.09 w/ tax & shipping!! Sammie took to it pretty well. I put her on it, & padded it saying "Sammie's." So she understood it was for her. I also put some treats on each level for her. She's not into catnip, but I rubbed some into the post, & sprinkled a little on it anyway, figured it couldn't hurt.
Here it is!
The post were supposed to go on the other side, but I switched them, or I wouldn't be able to get my closet door open.
All in all, I think I got a great tree for a great price!
IMG_20181010_161629029.jpg

"Gett'n them scritchies on the new tree!"
IMG_20181011_145117822.jpg

IMG_20181010_163914372.jpg

This helped too! I let her eat there a couple of times.
IMG_20181010_181038128.jpg

Last edited:

Gizmobius

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've had that exact one since February of last year when Gizmo was a little 5 month old cutie who weighed much less than he does now! It's held up really well and he still loves his top perch. He's 13lbs so it does wobble quite a bit but it's never tipped. I definitely think it's a pretty good tree for how cheap it is. I also have that brand's 57 inch tree which is a few bucks more but is very good too.

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We don't have a cat tree, partly because Sweet Gum has shown no interest in going up and partly because I can't secure it to the walls (dry wall is thin and the window and door frames seem to be glued on. No, I have no answers to this.) This is also why we don't have a Christmas tree - sigh.

It occurred to me that if the base of the cat tree could be larger -- the bases all seem small for the height of the trees to me. The one in the photo is lovely, but again the base seems small for stability. I'm thinking if SG did decide to use it, it would be the landing site after a mad dash around the house. This is based on my experience with other cats. That is why I was thinking guy-wires etc.

The photo also made me think if the base was extended, part of it could be put under a large piece of furniture a bed or a sofa and stability would be assured. Has anyone else tried this?

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
G Gizmobius , Yes, I think it was a good deal for what I got too. I know chewy is a good site too, & has a money back guarantee. I'm really happy with what I got!

K Kflowers , I understand. especially if you're in an apartment. Not sure if you are, but sounds like it. I've always thought the same thing about the bases, but this one is a good size, so the base is actually pretty big. This tree has a little weight to it, so it's not going anywhere. It also happened to come w/ a wall mount! I didn't use it, but saved it in case I want to one day when I move again.
It's hard to really know if your kitty will like a tree unless they've had one for a little while & had a chance to warm up/get used to one. "You know how kitties are." :rolleyes: When I bought the last tree years ago for Angel, it took him about 2 months before he would get up on it. I think he just wasn't sure about it for a while, & had to understand it was there for him, give the new smell a chance to fade out a bit, etc... He loved it because he could lay down & look out the window. :winkcat:

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Angel's mommy, thanks, we're in a house, but it could have been built better, of course it could've been built worse, so there you are.

This makes me think about getting one, particularly since we are trying to introduce Sweet Gum -age 6- to a new and really docile dog, but a 65 lb dog still. So far not much progress but everyone is gaining weight from the treats. I thought a tree might be a good security spot. And yeah, I know what the wee beasties are like. ;)

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Aww, LOL, you're welcome. Yes, that's a good idea. This way your baby will have a place all to it's self up high to feel safe when needed. Even a sweet doggie just wanting to play could be a little overwhelming to a kitty.
Yes, I know what you mean, seems like some houses just get slapped together so fast these days, just to make money.
Good luck with the introductions! :)

maggiedemi

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice cat tree Kelly! You got a great deal. Sammie really seems to be enjoying it. :)

tinydestroyer

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nice tree! We got the larger one if the same series for our two cats to share last November, and it's still going strong. We had to take it apart for the move, and all the pieces were still nice, screws still threaded, etc. Other cat furniture I've seen probably wouldn't survive disassembly, but this ones pretty good. I like the smaller one you picked, too. Your Sammie is adorable!

angels mommy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Nice cat tree Kelly! You got a great deal. Sammie really seems to be enjoying it. :)
Nice tree! We got the larger one if the same series for our two cats to share last November, and it's still going strong. We had to take it apart for the move, and all the pieces were still nice, screws still threaded, etc. Other cat furniture I've seen probably wouldn't survive disassembly, but this ones pretty good. I like the smaller one you picked, too. Your Sammie is adorable!
Thanks guys, yes, I think I got a good one this time too! Sammie does like it. She lays on the lower perch more than the top, because it's more level to the window.
She'll also sit on top of the little cubby on there, & look out the window. She hasn't used the scratching ramp, but scratches under the top platform while on the lower one. Lol! I don't think she will get in the cubby. It's a bit small. I have hid treats in there at night, & they are gone in the morning. I think she just sticks her head in to eat the treats. :lol: "Little monkey!"

BlueJay

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
This looks AMAZING for that price!!! I know someone who might be getting a cat tree for Christmas...