New cat tips!

Verbatim74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi,
So I got a new cat from the street. He is approximately 4months old, may be 5months. But he had a bloated belly and a wierd meow sound. He also had an injury under his jaw (probably a bit he got in a fight that is causing the wierd meow sound).
So I took him to the vet and got the medication for the worms, fleas and antibiotics. I have put him on a special diet as well.
Now here is the problem. Since he has been a street cat, he desperately wants to go out. And he keeps meowing and clawing at the window or the front door. I have a huge window that looks over a garden (in an apartment on the first floor) but I cannot let him out. He is very agressive if I try to pet him or get him away from the window.
Can anyone suggest anything for this? Its been almost 4 days since I brought him home. I was expecting him to warm up a little. But he seems scared most of the times and hides under the couch. When he is hungry he comes out and when he has enough energy he claws at the window and doors.
I will be happy to hear any opinions on how to handle him.
Thank you so luch guy!
A.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! :wave3: Since we adopted all our cats with the exception of one from a shelter they had been inside, at least for part of the time. There are many members on the site who have experience with feral cats and bringing outdoor cats inside. I'm sure they will weigh in with their advice but until they do here's an Article that may have some helpful information and advice for you:
The Five Golden Rules To Bringing An Outdoor Cat Inside – TheCatSite Articles

Best of luck and please keep us updated on his progress. :hangin:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Verbatim74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi neely,
Thanks for your suggestion. I did read it.
So here is an update. I have set up a place for the kitten in the living room and he hides under the couch. I was sleeping with him on the couch for 3days at night and he seemed fine roaming around the house at night.
Last night I slept in the bedroom and left him in the living room. I wanted him to explore the house. But I heard him meowing and clawing at the windows and doors. He did visit my bedroom but then went out again. He continues to sit at the window and meow.

CatladyJan

<><
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi,
So I got a new cat from the street. He is approximately 4months old, may be 5months. But he had a bloated belly and a wierd meow sound. He also had an injury under his jaw (probably a bit he got in a fight that is causing the wierd meow sound).
So I took him to the vet and got the medication for the worms, fleas and antibiotics. I have put him on a special diet as well.
Now here is the problem. Since he has been a street cat, he desperately wants to go out. And he keeps meowing and clawing at the window or the front door. I have a huge window that looks over a garden (in an apartment on the first floor) but I cannot let him out. He is very agressive if I try to pet him or get him away from the window.
Can anyone suggest anything for this? Its been almost 4 days since I brought him home. I was expecting him to warm up a little. But he seems scared most of the times and hides under the couch. When he is hungry he comes out and when he has enough energy he claws at the window and doors.
I will be happy to hear any opinions on how to handle him.
Thank you so luch guy!
A.
It is going to take a lot of time and patience. Sounds like this little guy is semi feral and just needs time to adjust.

He needs to be neutered ASAP this will help with his wanting to go outside.

If there are other cats wondering around outside that might be triggering him to wanting to go out too. Can you cover your windows with some curtains or even blankets you don't mind him tearing up? Do you have toys for him to play with when he wants to? Play soft music or purring sounds and keep doing what your are already doing!

Thanks for taking this little guy into your home!

Verbatim74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi Catlady,
Yes I have a few sheets that might cover the windows. I do have today like feather attached to soft toys or rubber toys. But this guy has not been around toys so he does not really know what to do with the toys!
I will try the soft music.
I have another question. How do I give him his medication. He does not allow me to scruff him. I petted him today morning for about 30min and then tried to hold him by the scruff to give him a smll dose of his oral antibiotic. He scratched me madly nd got under the couch.
So any suggestions with administration or medicines would help alot. Thanks!
A.

Verbatim74

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Also, there are no other cats around but a couple of big dogs in the apartment below mine. The keep scratchin the couches in their backyard. Is that the reason why he keeps scratching the window? He cannot see the dogs on the other side but he scratching noises trigger him I guess....

Talien

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
That's normal behavior for a feral or semi feral cat being brought indoors, he will eventually realize being inside with access to food that he doesn't have to scrounge or fight for is a good thing and open up to you. Some Cats take longer than others, and some will always want to try to get back outside occasionally just because they enjoy the fresh air and sun, but there's no such thing as a Cat that's better off on the streets.

Get him neutered ASAP or he will almost assuredly start urine marking, it's very rare for an intact male to not do that when in an unfamiliar environment.

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
So any suggestions with administration or medicines would help alot

Pilling tips:

Pilling Cats: Must-know Tips For Hiding Pills – Cat Articles
The Best Pill-taking Secret I Know...
Pilling Cats and Dogs Safely
How We Give Our Pill Hating Cat A Pill
Getting Cat To Take Pills... Post Tips Here.

Liquid medicine tips: