New cat, second cat?

hybriseris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

Two months ago, my grandmother was very suddenly and sadly unable to live at home anymore due to a progression of her dementia. I took in her 8 year old Maine Coon mix whom she had for about seven years after adopting him from a feral cat rescue organization. He is a very cool guy, the sort who can travel with me to my parents house and spend the evening and utterly enjoy himself.

I have an anxiety disorder (which will become obvious reading this lol), which has compounded any adoption anxiety that's normal for the situation. I've been struggling a lot with whether I'm providing enough for him, as he's transitioned from a house where he was allowed outside during the day, to a large two bedroom apartment and transitioning to indoor only living. I feed him four times a day (two wet, two dry), play with him 3 to 4 times a day until he's disinterested which is generally about 20 minutes, groom him daily which he loves, and let him lounge wherever he'd like with me during the day. He has two cat trees in two different rooms tall enough to see out of the window with different views. I live in a busy complex near a strip of woods so there's always plenty to see. He has cat grass, toys that I rotate out, a million scratching posts, etc. I have two days a week where I work very long shifts, but otherwise I'm home a fair amount of the time besides errands and caring for my horse.

For the most part, I've been able to start to come to a good place with the fact that I AM providing a safe, fun environment for him. However, there's the one thing that won't leave me alone...

I can't stop obsessing over the fact that he might need a friend. Mentally, I'm not ready to adopt a second cat, nor do I think it'd necessarily be a good idea so soon even though I know he enjoys other cats, but it's a new side of the coin of this "am I doing enough" question. (And while my landlord was totally happy for me to have a cat, I'm not sure how they'd feel about multiples.) He doesn't really show me any behavior that makes me think he NEEDS one - he isn't destructive, he's eating and using the litterbox normally, not overgrooming,, etc. But I can't help that feeling that oh but he probably WANTS one because he's so dang playful and sometimes demands attention, and what about the days where I work longer hours, blah blah blah...

Basically, I'm wondering if I'm doing enough and maybe this flight of fancy is something I can let go for now. At some point, I'd be ready for another cat but in all honesty as much as he's brought life and joy in to my apartment, he was unplanned and it's been exhausting! Lol

Can he be happy as my solo cat for now even though I know he enjoys others? Am I as crazy as I feel? Lol. Thanks in advance!

Maria Bayote

Mama of 4 Cats, 4 Dogs , 2 Budgies & 2 Humans
Top Cat
Purraise
First of all, you have a good heart in taking in your grandma's cat.

Secondly, it is a very good decision to transition him into a strictly indoor cat.

Your cat is already 8 years old, and I believe he is used to being alone, so I don't think he is needing a company. Most cats prefer to be alone, or be left alone. If you can, you may want to foster a cat or kitten and see how he reacts. At least it is a temporary thing, and you can see if your cat is ready for a companion or not.

You are doing a great job, and based from what you have mentioned I believe he is being spoiled rotten. :)

Btw, your cat is a stunner!

:redheartpump::hearthrob:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

hybriseris

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks so much! He's got the most incredible eyes, and such a calm expression to his face. I love just looking at him. :)

I know he loves other cats. He likes my parent's cat even though she doesn't have much use for him LOL. And when he was indoor/outdoor, he had two other cats who would come to my grandmother's yard and play with him. There used to be a pure white male cat, and the two of them would lay in the sun together like salt & pepper. I think that's why I feel guilty. He's always lived alone in the house, but he clearly enjoys other cats. I'm just not in the position to get him a buddy right now and hope he's happy regardless.

Thanks for your reply!

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm in agreement with Maria Bayote Maria Bayote your beautiful boy will be fine on his own. It sounds like he is getting a lot of attention from you and is enjoying his life with you. Cat's aren't like people they can be purrfectly fine as only cat's. I've had only cat's in the past and plenty of people on here just have one cat. A lot of people get kittens in pairs so they can play together but a adult cat just isn't as energetic and most don't appreciate having another cat come into their territory. Thank you for giving him a home and making sure he's a indoor boy now, he's already been through enough change. I'd keep him as a only cat.

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
He already has many changes in his life and from the sound of it, he's coping perfectly. There is no need to push him harder, which will definitely happen when you put a second cat in his territory. He may be friendly with other cats outside his home but you can't know it for inside the house. Why risk it? You have done more than enough. Otherwise you would know. He would cry all the time, not use litter box, destruct things or hide away for days if he weren't fine