New cat scratch tree....hard to part with...

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
So I have this cat scratch tree that I don't remember or know the manufacturer of. When I brought Prince home nearly 6 years ago, I brought the cat tree too along with another scratching post I call the tower. Both, I would say is incredible in quality because they've lasted 6 years with Prince and Nikita both. (You see in my profile picture they're sitting on the top rung of the tree)

The "tower" is still in excellent shape, looks almost as good as it did when I first got it. The tree is the thing..... I have no doubt in my mind my cats would be happy regardless, there adapted to every situation and been opposite of everything "experts" say to do or not do, it's me that has an issue. The tree needs replacing now, it's finally come apart. I was trying to find the exact product, but I can't. Even Google lens search shows different things; although thee makers of the "tower" have tempting products that I assume would be built to last. Still I'm not sure the manufacturer of even that.

Does anyone have good recommendations or even more, advice on the attachment issues that are clearly with me. The thing of it is the tree is Prince's favorite place. He has other favorite spots but for me it's hard not necessarily to part with the current item but rather the product itself which is nowhere now it seems.
16801476414743208762246870611601.jpg
1680147678420959980156592024658.jpg
16801476997724661341545924481963.jpg

In the images, the tree in question is the one with the ropes becoming torn from the post. The tower is the brown scratching post. Both six years old, though it wasn't until this last year the tree started looking as bad as it does. Both are really good quality which is why I wish I knew the manufacturers

Last edited by a moderator:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
What's the post of the tree made from? Is it wood? It would be easy enough to repair that if the post is wood. You may need take the tree to pieces to remove all the old rope, but you can buy thick sisal rope from any hardware store. Have at look at how the original rope was attached to the tree post. It's usually nailed in place at the top and bottom, then wound around the post.

You can also use a steam cleaner on the carpeted area to get them looking good as new.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
What's the post of the tree made from? Is it wood? It would be easy enough to repair that if the post is wood. You may need take the tree to pieces to remove all the old rope, but you can buy thick sisal rope from any hardware store. Have at look at how the original rope was attached to the tree post. It's usually nailed in place at the top and bottom, then wound around the post.

You can also use a steam cleaner on the carpeted area to get them looking good as new.

It's hard to tell with the shredded and frayed ends. Though, are you suggesting taking the old rope off entirely and wrapping new sisal rope around the post itself?

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
the tree in question is the one with the ropes becoming torn from the post.
Depending on where you are, you can buy the spare scratch post online. You just have to know and get the right size screw fixture for for current cat tree.
They come in different length but I suggest if your cat is very active and parkour type, get a shorter one as it's firmer else get a long one so your cat have more height to scratch.

61ZofODH7SL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Some othe ones have different type of screws, it might need some modifications... !? Ours had allen screws with screw nuts, samething like this one...

allen screw

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
Some othe ones have different type of screws, it might need some modifications... !? Ours had allen screws with screw nuts, samething like this one...

allen screw
Most of the cat tree screws are the Allen type head and I think come in two sizes or maybe three but I think it's two. Some are thicker and some are thinner in width. Depending on the size of the cat tree and also which part of the cat tree the spare goes to.

Last edited:

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
It's hard to tell with the shredded and frayed ends. Though, are you suggesting taking the old rope off entirely and wrapping new sisal rope around the post itself?
Yes, if the rest of the tree is OK you might get a few more years use out of it if you replace the rope.

tabbytom tabbytom idea of buying a new post was an even better one though

betsygee

Just what part of meow don't you understand.
Staff Member
Purraise
I have a good solid wood scratching post that's worth keeping so I just keep replacing the sisal rope.

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I'm thankful for everyone's response, I didn't know you could just buy a new post though rope alone. Still, ice put together all my cat furniture except the tree in question, and inspecting it I'm not seeing where it connects top wise. On the bottom, yes, also

there's an artisan signature but I don't notice the company. Looks like "Molly and friends"

Rope alone might be difficult since the bottom rung is essentially pressed against the bar, I suppose I could take it completely apart and wind a new rope around and put it together. I think the top rung is actually a part of the post itself

Attachments

Nature9000

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I found some sisal rope on Amazon that can be out to me by Monday, 10 bucks. I'm going to try that first, I assume I will have to take the tree apart, unwind the old rope and put the new rope on. I'm a little anxious about it staying in place though but it doesn't appear these are glued or anything other than firmly wrapped...

It is the top part I'm really concerned about

Attachments

TARTARA

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can do it with

Clove Hitch in the beginning, and then Round Lashing but you underlap the rope to itself, so it biting together on every single wrap, and then a Clove Hitch on the end again... ! Somewhere at the 02:08 on this video...

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've re-wrapped a few trees with the rope, and it should be fine! One of the trees had a stubborn piece of rope that wouldn't come off so I just left it. :lol: That signature of Molly and friends is really cool, too!

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I've rewrapped my cat's trees many a times! I used a thick cotton rope on this one and I've used braided sisal on others, including ones I've braided myself.

I just use hot glue to stick it on. One day, I'll get to redoing the carpet parts.

Attachments

iPappy

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
On my cats big tree, they were really doing a number on the rope on the front part, so I wrapped it in that fake grass stuff. It's held up surprisingly well (this is about 1 year after wrapping). I used glue and secured it top and bottom with nails, and check them every so often to make sure they're still secure. Just another idea for you!
1680740653996.png