New cat REALLY hates the vet. she's new and haven't had a checkup yet. should i force her or just wait?

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
i have had her for 4 days rescuing from the streets. the first day i took her to the vet. she hated it. before ( i interacted with her daily outside in the street where she lives before adopting ) she was friendly, kind, and just sweet pea in general. after that i took her to the vet, she ran zooming across the room, hiding under exam table for more than an hour and hissing until we gave up. we managed to get her into the carrier and i brought her back home.

in the home, i got her into my room and she spent the first 2 days under the desk, barely eating, not using the litter, etc.
on the 3rd day she finally comes out and begins to explore. she eats, use the litter, drink and play for a bit. just today the 4th day, i took her again and to our woe (and my fault for not calling first) the doctor is out until noon and we came home empty handed. we came back and she started sulking again. i hope she doesn't hate me forever.

i just got a call from the vet that the doctor has come. i dunno if i should try again the same day. she looks healthy and after the first 2 days she's fairly active and friendly again. her poop looks normal etc.

problem is she really have no checkup yet. no proper flea treatment, no deworming, not vaccinated (i keep her inside) but if i force it i am afraid it would traumatize the cat and she would hate me forever.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Nevermind. Got ber basic treatment finally. I had to carry a lot of stuff like her bedsheets, pillow, plushy, box. I set up the examination table so it looks like her bed. Covered the cold metal with sheets, put the pillow, brought her brush and after a short time struggling she was calm on the table. We got her worm medicine, flea medicine and she's all set

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)

The results is good. Healthy eyes, mouth, and fur. A trace of worm from her stool test which is very expected from strays. She got de-flea medicine and de-worm.

Haven't gotten vaccines yet because she's new and the vet wanted to monitor her health and activities for the next 2 weeks and if there are no problems, she will get her shots.

She's a bit mad tho. Hid the whole day inside her box but still eating and using litter.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah her name is Rivel. She's got an interesting story.

Basically she lived near my work for the past 1-2 year. I sometimes feed her meat stuff from my lunch, as well as local cat lovers or food seller give local strays leftovers or kibbles. Around the beginning of july she had a kitten, which i found wounded on the streets, either accidentally stepped on or got run over. I took the kitten in, then to the vet. For few days, he got better, but due to some other complications, he started puking a lot, and was im the ICU for few days and x rays shown he had something called megaesophagus. His condition just worsen and worsen until i decided to put him under. The vet said he is suffering, hungry, anemic adnd hypothermic even when they put him under incubator and even if he survived that moment, he wouldn't have long to live and it will be in possibly chronic pain.

After that, i tried to find his mom, fed her everyday until she got used to me, and took her home. There she is. It's sad the kitten can't be with her, but i am trying my best to make life better for Rivel and for the sake of her son, Sniper.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, I am so sorry. So sad for all that happened. But, very happy to see you've taken in Rivel and will give her a good home. I am sure she is happy too (once she gets over the vet visit, that is!).

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Yeah. She's settling in nicely, but hadn't dare to explore the whole house yet. She got a safe room, and she took a few steps each day, and comes back to her room lol.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
She will continue to venture a bit farther over time, as she gets used to things. It sounds like she is doing well with only being in her new home 4 days, but it helps that she 'knew' you beforehand, I am sure.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
It's crazy how fast the fur cleans up after you bring them to clean environment. She hadn't jad any bath, because i thought it would be too stressful. Now that she had flea medicine i don't think i need to give her a bath anymore.

Her white patches of fur started clearing up from ash to pure white :)

The chest area were coarse and now starting to get fluffy and all the cute kitty stuff.

Albus

Tobermory Ragnarok
Young Cat
Purraise
Oh yeah her name is Rivel. She's got an interesting story.

After that, i tried to find his mom, fed her everyday until she got used to me, and took her home. There she is. It's sad the kitten can't be with her, but i am trying my best to make life better for Rivel and for the sake of her son, Sniper.
Our first cat was a community kitten whose mother was a really sweet cat that would sometimes have a line of people waiting to pet and feed her. We took in two of the three kittens (one went to a friend), while another lady took home the mama cat and the other kitten. They seemed pretty happy to be living outdoors, but they're now safer and happier indoors and with proper vet care.

fionasmom

Staff Member
Purraise
She is a gorgeous little cat and you are an angel to have helped her and her kitten. I once took a street cat home, riding on the front seat of my car with no carrier, and she spent the entire ride home cleaning herself. Since I did not know what a cat like that might do loose in a car I took side streets home, so it took a while. When we arrived, she was spotless.

Hoboforeternity

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
She is a gorgeous little cat and you are an angel to have helped her and her kitten. I once took a street cat home, riding on the front seat of my car with no carrier, and she spent the entire ride home cleaning herself. Since I did not know what a cat like that might do loose in a car I took side streets home, so it took a while. When we arrived, she was spotless.
that was very daring lol. i am just afraid they would bolt and freak out and cause road accidents.