New "cat" person

Crackerboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi folks, sad news, my cat Lucky went to kitty heaven recently after a fight against chronic kidney disease. He wasn't even really my cat, but I sort of inherited him from my sister in law after she moved closer to my wife and me. Lucky basically just took to me, and that was how he came to be "my" cat for the last 8 years of his life. And he was awesome. I'm still very tore up, but I'm fairly sure I will, at some time, probably in the Spring, be ready for a new cat friend.

I have always been a dog person, and my experience with cats during my nearly fifty years on this planet has been observations that cats can be very aloof. Lucky was very social tho, loved being on my lap, loved scratches, let me cuddle him; in other words, a lot like a dog.

Is it reasonable to think that if I can get a cat as a kitten, I can raise him/her to be social, allow cuddling, etc...; all the things about Lucky that made him so lovable? I'm afraid of getting a cat that will be like most other cats I've had contact with (which isn't many), and he/she will turn out to be aloof, or anti-social. These may be stupid concerns and questions, but I really don't have a lot of good experiences with cats other than my Lucky. I'm perfectly fine adopting an adult cat, but wonder if 15 minutes getting to know a cat in a shelter is enough to truly judge a cat's disposition.

My wife and I DO have an aging 20 pound dog, 17 years old; blind, deaf, cute and surprisingly spry. But mostly very low energy, so not really a concern to a cat. After doggie goes to be with Lucky, wife and I have already discussed no more dogs. But I do think I will really miss the joy I received from my boy Lucky, so I'd like to get that back at some point if possible.

Any thoughts? Thanks for any advice.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
graphics-hello-041434.jpg
Crackerboo, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
images.jpg
to you.

So glad that you’ve joined this wonderful site and you are in the right place for all things cat and this site is loaded with tons of rich resources and you’ll find friendly and helpful cats around and many of our cats are very knowledgeable in cat related stuffs.

We are so
IMG_3272.GIF
to hear about Lucky :alright: You may want to pay a tribute to him here in :- crossing-the-bridge.19

New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You!
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post
Community Guidelines & Practices - Frequently Asked Questions
Forum Rules

Feel free to ask questions if you have any and start a new thread of your own and post them under the appropriate forums and do check out the many informative articles we have here in Articles | The Cat Site and don't forget to subscribe to our Newsletter :- newsletter-subscription-tutorial.33873 to stay informed of what goes on in TCS!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I'm sorry about your Lucky first off. After reading your post I think you should probably go for a older cat because kitten's won't care if your older dog wants to be left alone, They love to play and can be like little hurricanes. I get what your saying about 15 mins at a shelter but hopefully the staff would know about the cat's personality and point you to the right cat. I have grown up with cat's and you might be surprised how many cat's are outgoing and cuddly with there owners but seem aloof with people they don't know. Good luck in your search hope you find the perfect cat.

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
Welcome here!

I am so sorry for your loss. Lucky may not have been your property, but he was your cat. Cats aren't into being owned.

My last cat, Franklin, chose me. I understand and so does everyone else here so please feel free to post on the Rainbow Bridge forum.

I am a longtime cat person who recently acquired dogs. They get along wonderfully. There are other dog people here as well who will have suggestions for a successful multispecies family.

One thing that did strike me about your post was the assumption that it is normal for a cat to be "aloof and antisocial", which is not the case. My kitten has bonded very nicely with my dogs, but has recently started asking for more one-on-one time with me.

Yes, I have raised her to go places with me, either on a harness and leash or safely zipped into a backpack and have socialized her in many of the same ways you might socialize a puppy, but she is still very much a cat.

I did want to mention that "kitten season" is very much a real thing, so you might be better off doing your research, taking time to work through the grieving process, and waiting until a kitten is born who needs you. The no kill shelters fill up fast and there are never enough homes.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Crackerboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks all for the nice words of sympathy and for the wonderful welcome.

Tik Cat's Mum, I'm not worried about a kitten bothering my dog; Fizzy wouldn't mind really, and would likely still play. He's old, but still pretty active for a dog of such advanced years.

Willow's Mom, you're right, my initial thought about cats is that they are (generally) aloof and are more likely to plot your demise than to plan your welcome home party (as compared to a dog). But that is spoken from a place of ignorance as I really have very little experience with cats beyond what I've observed in my little universe. This is why I said that my concerns may be stupid. I recognize I really don't know what I'm talking about when it comes to cats.

I'm not sure what you mean by a kitten season, and what kind of research a person might do. However I very much want a cat that will be happy going places with me, ideally on a leash, in a chest carrier, or cat stroller (I have all those things).

My plan is to allow some time to pass, but then to visit a local no-kill shelter, and ideally get a young cat, even a kitten if appropriate. It's difficult enough saying goodbye, I don't want to say goodbye again for at least another 12 years.

amethyst

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I think the common misconception of cats being aloof and antisocial, especially when compared to dogs, is likely due to cats not being socialized like you would a dog. Most people get cats and the cat never leaves the house, unlike with a dog that you would atleast take out for daily walks. So going to someone's house that has a cat, in the cat's mind you are an intruder invading their territory, it's much different when it's your own cat or one you regularly visit. If you want a cat that is social with other people, enjoys leash walks, or going in a cat stroller I would look at getting a kitten or young cat (under a year) and get them use to it early.

Kitten season is the time of year when shelters get a flood of kittens, normally from early spring until early fall, depending on where you live, making then the best time to look for a kitten. Females naturally go into heat when food/prey is going to be plentiful, and the temperature is warming, or will be soon (likely increase in sunlight/days getting longer triggers it).

As to whether you can get an idea based on 15 minutes, with adult cats it depends, some need time to open up and most don't open up in shelters. With kittens (so long as they are awake ;) ) you can generally get a good feel of personality. Some places will even suggest you come back the next day after a night's sleep on it before actually going through with the adoption. They will put the cat/kitten on hold for you to give you time to fully think it through overnight to avoid impulse adoptions. Also don't go in with the idea of getting a cat that day, it's better if you wait for one that you really connect with rather then getting one that is cute just because you are there, if you know what I mean. It may take a few shelters or visits to the shelter to find the right one.

Last edited:

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site, first! I am so sorry that you lost your cat buddy. There is nothing quite like that, is there?

Now...I'd suggest an older cat, simply because a kitten is going to drive your dog nuts, playing with ears and tail...although you say your dog is spry for his/her (?) age, so that might not be such an issue. However, if an older cat seems better to you, see if there is a cage-free shelter near you. They will have several cats loose in a room, where you can go in and spend some time with the entire group. See if anyone approaches you with affectionate interest! That would at least let you know that the cat is responding to you, not just relief/anxiety about being taken from a cage/kennel.

OH...kitten season. That happens in late spring through very early fall, when almost all kittens are born. A cat's heat cycle is linked to the number of daylight hours, so more kittens are conceived and born when the days are longer. A rather ingenious plan nature put in place to make sure that kittens are old enough to survive when winter arrives.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

sweet jane flash

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hello Crackerboo and welcome! I know cats that follow their guardians around "like a dog" is how my friend put it. From personal experience all cats are different personalities but everyone I've had the pleasure of has been extremely social to me. Of course when someone knocks on the door she is fast at running under the bed. Once kitten or cat gets to know you will be very much wanting your attentions. And often. As far as kitten season I believe it is in the spring but I don't know why so many are available then. I think as far as walking feline on a leash, with a harness, a kitten might be better at getting used to that process

Crackerboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, everyone. It looks like my wife and I are leaning towards a kitten, based on the comments on here and our own ideas on acclimating a kitten to our lifestyles. With that in mind, how old should a kitten be when being adopted?

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
The recommendation these days is 12 to 16 weeks,so that the kitten has time to learn cat manners from their mom and siblings.Of course that isn't always possible, but the generally the longer they spend with mom and siblings, the better. Here's a TCS article with more info: How Old Do Kittens Have To Be To Leave Their Mother?

Sidewinder

"Say what, crackerhead?"
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Think about adopting TWO kittens, not just one... the kittens will play & burn off energy with each other and not bother the older dog so much, AYE? I've had multiple cats & dogs over the years, and I've never known this strategy to fail... adopt two kittens instead of one, it solves so many problems right out the gate, and the cost isn't that much greater, 10-4? Just my $.02, FWIW... Cheers!!! :petcat:

Crackerboo

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much, everyone. Update...I wasn't planning on moving so quickly, but after discussing with my wife the recommendations I've been receiving on this site, she got a bit enthusiastic (which was contagious), and we started looking around at the local shelters. We found an adorable 4 month old female, black & white. We've named her Bernadette and she is QUITE affectionate, finding comfort on top of us as she becomes accustomed to the house and Mr. Fizzy (the dog). Fizzy still isn't sure what's different, him being blind and deaf and all, but Bernadette is still unsure of him. All the cats and kittens at the shelter seemed to have a sniffle, sneezing somewhat frequently, and Bernadette has been no different, so we have an appointment today with the vet.

Sidewinder, I would love to have gotten two kittens, but one is our limit. Our plan is to for Bernadette to be a boat cat during the summer. My wife and I have a boat on which we spend weekends on Lake Erie. Lucky was an awesome boat cat, and we're hoping Bernadette takes to it just as well. Two cats would, I think, have been much more challenging in that regard.

Attached is a picture of my beloved Lucky with us on the boat this summer, and a picture of Bernadette we took yesterday in our kitty room.

Thanks again, everyone for your wonderful advice and sympathies.

Attachments

Tik cat's mum

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Congratulations on your new fur baby. I have to say I love the name. Myself and granddaughter are Bernadette's. She's absolutely gorgeous glad you found the perfect kitten. :)

Willow's Mom

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
inside of your imagination and/or smartphone app
The sniffles are probably an upper respiratory infection, because it'sgetting a bit chilly out there for kittens and they pass it around like colds in kindergartens. The vet will give you an antibiotic if Bernadette needs one.

What a cutie! Thank you so much for giving her a home. It's the tail end of kitten season around here, so homes may well be in short supply, even for such a gorgeous little girl.

I hope you post lots of pictures and updates. :D

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise

WestCoastKitties

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ohhh! I love the pictures of Lucky (he was incredibly lucky indeed to have the life of a boat cat with you and your wife!) and your new addition, Bernadette!

So terrific that you were able to rescue/adopt a kitten after all! Congrats and welcome to the site!