New Cat Owner

Catmom2yhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi All,

I adopted a four years old cat a month ago. Since then he has been hiding and comes out to eat and uses litter only during the night. I was told by the shelter that he is not a lap cat and may take time but he is not showing any improvement. I have tried everything. Calming chews, sprays. Every time I crouch down to his level to attempt to pet him he attacks me. He eats and drinks just fine. I want him to be comfortable around me and come out of his cave. What should I do?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hello! welcome to TCS! :hithere: New Here? I Have A Few Suggestions For You! – TheCatSite Articles
Thank you so much for rescuing this kitty.
This sounds like somewhat typical behavior. It will take patience, love, and time to get him out of his shell. However, it certainly can be done. These links might be helpful: Stress in Cats – The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
10 Must-know Tips For Happy Living With A Shy Cat – TheCatSite Articles
Cat Behavior Problems [What to do and what not to do] – TheCatSite Articles
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
is he currently confined to one room?
Also, if you haven’t already, I would recommend sitting by your cat. Don’t attempt to pet him, just sit. Maybe read a book aloud, or scroll on your phone. This will get him used to you and your voice. Another thing to try is, If he eats in front of you, feed him treats. If he’s still too Shy to eat in front of you, give him a few treats anyways. That might help him realize that you’re not dangerous.
Feel free to ask any other questions and post pictures of your kitty, we’d love to see them!!!
Please keep us updated! 💛

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
Every time I crouch down to his level to attempt to pet him he attacks me.
First, thank you so much for adopting! :thanks: Second, a month is a relatively short period of time and depending on what his past history was it may take him longer to feel comfortable and trust you. Be patient, give it more time and let him come to you. Do not attempt to pet him if he attacks you. It's his way of letting you know he's not ready for that type of interaction yet. Since you mentioned he eats, drinks and uses the litter box albeit at night that is still a good sign. Do you have a cat bed for him where he can curl up and feel more secure? Or a cat tree where he can climb up high? Best of luck! 🤗

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom2yhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
First, thank you so much for adopting! :thanks: Second, a month is a relatively short period of time and depending on what his past history was it may take him longer to feel comfortable and trust you. Be patient, give it more time and let him come to you. Do not attempt to pet him if he attacks you. It's his way of letting you know he's not ready for that type of interaction yet. Since you mentioned he eats, drinks and uses the litter box albeit at night that is still a good sign. Do you have a cat bed for him where he can curl up and feel more secure? Or a cat tree where he can climb up high?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Do you have a cat bed for him where he can curl up and feel more secure?
neely neely gives some fabulous advice! Adding on to that, I know my Pants really enjoys his cat box because it has two cat flaps on either side, so he is able to “flee” his box if he desires from either way and feels more free and secure. Perhaps that’s something to look in to? 😉

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Catmom2yhi

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thankyou for your reply.
Yes there’s a soft bed for him which he doesn’t use at all. A tree which he barely sniffs and doesn't climb on. ThankGod he’s eating drinking and uses litter. Yes I guess I’ll just have to wait.
his current hiding spot is IN m couch. He has somehow found a way to go inside it from underneath and that has become his cave. I hope he gets comfortable soon.❤

three4rd

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Second, a month is a relatively short period of time and depending on what his past history was it may take him longer to feel comfortable and trust you. Be patient, give it more time and let him come to you.
I agree....it has to run its course. It's hard to refrain from projecting our thoughts and wants in such a way that we think the pet has to comply in some fashion. Cats (especially) have their own agenda. We had a new dog that hid under the couch for the first few weeks after bringing it home. My wife was in tears. After awhile, the dog became socialized and a loved companion in the home for the rest of its life.