New cat owner confused on litter choices

GeauxTigerz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I’m a brand new cat owner trying to educate myself as much as possible on the best choices for my new little friend. He’s a 9 week old ragamuffin. After much reading on this site and articles by several “experts” in the field I feel I’m more confused now than when I started on the topic of litter. My breeder suggested a non clumping clay litter due to “the possibility of kittens ingesting the clumping agents and causing GI issues.” I then read I need to only be using a clumping litter because it’s more sanitary. As if that wasn’t contradicting enough, I’ve also read using pine pellets with a sifting litter box is a significantly better option because it’s more environmentally friendly than clay and more convenient. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
TCS has articles on litter choices:

I've always used clumping litter with kittens. No issue at all with the kitten trying to eat the litter.

9 weeks is a little young to be away from mom. Is that the normal age your breeder lets kittens go to their new homes? Most breeders won't let kittens go until at least 12 weeks.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

GeauxTigerz

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
TCS has articles on litter choices:

[/URL]
[/URL]

I've always used clumping litter with kittens. No issue at all with the kitten trying to eat the litter.

9 weeks is a little young to be away from mom. Is that the normal age your breeder lets kittens go to their new homes? Most breeders won't let kittens go until at least 12 weeks.
Thank you for the reply. I will take a look at the link! Most breeders in my area release kittens at 8 weeks.

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Most breeders in my area release kittens at 8 weeks.
I'm going to jump in here as I know our members will want to say something about this and it will take the thread off topic.
Suffice it to say that it's really unusual for breeders to hand over kittens at 8 weeks and here's why:

Having said that, this is a thread about cat litter, so we're asking members to please stay on that topic. :)

nollamadrama

One meow to rule them all
Young Cat
Purraise
I don't know what would be considered as the best litter to use but the litter I prefer and use (well, I give it to my cats to use ;)) is Arm & Hammer Slide.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
The trouble with younger kittens is that they will try to eat everything. Clumping clay litters will cause a blockage if the kitten swallows some, and that could be fatal. However, even the non-clumping kinds sometimes contain ingredients that can make the kitten sick is swallowed.

I use a litter made from soy by-products, which is actually edible as well as being biodegradable and compostable.

You don't have to commit to one litter for the rest of your cat's life. Start with something kitten safe now and then change to a clumping litter later on if you prefer.

:)

Neko-chan's mama

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
I personally use clumping litter. To me it's just easier. I believe there's plant based clumping litters if your looking for something more environmentally friendly.

Bagette

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone. I’m a brand new cat owner trying to educate myself as much as possible on the best choices for my new little friend. He’s a 9 week old ragamuffin. After much reading on this site and articles by several “experts” in the field I feel I’m more confused now than when I started on the topic of litter. My breeder suggested a non clumping clay litter due to “the possibility of kittens ingesting the clumping agents and causing GI issues.” I then read I need to only be using a clumping litter because it’s more sanitary. As if that wasn’t contradicting enough, I’ve also read using pine pellets with a sifting litter box is a significantly better option because it’s more environmentally friendly than clay and more convenient. Any thoughts or suggestions are greatly appreciated!
As previously mentioned, change litter with the cat! Start with something safer for kitten, then see how it'll react. If everything will be ok, then move on to clumping stuff, which is definitely easier to deal with. There are a bunch of natural products in both "camps" and they are overall safer and better option, so you won't make going for those. We personally use Cat's Best and very happy with it. I believe they even have a version for kittens

ClumsyBear

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I also use Cat's Best for my kitten - who I also got when he was 9 weeks old. It's a corn litter so I felt it was safer for my kitten if he ate it. But, thankfully, he never tried to eat it, he just used to enjoy rolling and playing in it :/

vansX2

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Until recently I was using Dr. Elsey's "Cat Attact", unscented in a 40# platic bag, available from chewy. My younger boy "Jackpot " often likes to claw and chew on many forms of plastic, including litter bags. So I have switched to Tidy Cat, Multi cats. As the plastic job can withstand Jackpots teeth. I often tell people that I have a naughty "Puppy" that meows.

Flybynight

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
G GeauxTigerz

For a tiny kitten such as yours maybe start with paper based litter and then move on to other litter later.

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B08615KGKY/?tag=thecatsite

That said, I had a kitten found outdoors who was very small and he never tried to eat the littler. We use flushable, clumping, non clay litter. It is made from plants. You can find this type of litter made from soya or coconuts etc.

jamie_02

1 kitty ; 1 year old cat named quinn <3
Young Cat
Purraise
i used clay litter when i got my kitten, she was 8wks when i brought her home but i wish i had used a paper litter like breeders celect, that’s what we use rn and it’s great, i would say stay away from clay litter because even the “dust free” ones aren’t really dust free, she’s quite nasally now and sometimes i wonder if it had something to do with the clay litter we used [had her vet checked n she’s healthy so its nothing serious lol] she still is super playful and i don’t trust her enough to use clumping litter yet [always chewing and putting things in her mouth that she shouldn’t !] but when she’s older i will probably switch to clumping just because of how easy it seems but i recommend paper based litter for a kitten !! my favourite as i mentioned is breeder celect, it smells pretty nice too when its clean, just not when its due changing haha