New cat not eating

dawnt91

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
This last weekend, I got a new cat. He's a 1.5 year old, neutered male. The man I got him from says he's very active, however he's been hiding since we got him Sunday evening. It's now Wednesday afternoon. He comes out at night when we're all asleep. But he hasn't eaten since we got him. He's a very fat cat, and definitely needs a diet, but surely he needs to be eating some. He won't even eat his favorite canned food from his old owner. I know he's stressed from the move, but I'm worried that he's going to get sick from not eating. When should I become concerned?

Thanks for your help!

bookitty1231

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
The problem is probably just that he's in a new home, with new people and just needs time to adjust. I would call a vet and ask their opinion on his eating. They may be able to help you more. Maybe you should try putting the food where he hides.

sandie

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Well, it sounds like the move has stressed him out. Usually the best way to approach this is to put him in a space of his own. Usually a bathroom is good. Put his food and litter on opposite sides of the room. He should stay in there for at least a week and let him get used to things at his own pace. He at least needs to be drinking. Let us know how he is doing.