New Cat, Need Advice!!

Nikki7401

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone

We just brought home this lovely 2 year old Persian and Turkish mix. Since he's been here he's had a bit of intense purring. He hid under the bed for a while but almost immediately started cuddling and is now currently sleeping.

Now I may sound like a paranoid new parent but here's the thing. He hasn't pooped or peed since he got here around noon. He ate a fair amount of dry food and loves the wet food but hasn't exactly drank a good amount of water. As mentioned earlier, he has intense purring and is sleeping quite a bit. Earlier before he got here he was taken to the groomers as he pooped in the carrier due to stress.
We have placed him in the litter and everything but idk is this normal?

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You just brought him home today? But earlier today he defecated in the carrier? Don't worry unless he obviously looks like he's straining but can't go.

Stress messes with a cat's ability to go. Have you placed him in a small, quiet room? If you have some feliway, plug it in or use the spray.

In my experience placing a cat in the litter tray tends not to help, as long as he knows where it is once he feels more relaxed in his space he will go.

lalagimp

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I feel that on the low end a cat will urinate at least once per day and usually they will always poop within 2-3 days when things aren't optimal. Tommy was recovering from surgery and didn't actually -want- to go for peeing or pooping but he would on that timetable. If you want to encourage more peeing, try canned food or if that's a no go you could invest in a water fountain. Fluids will also help the bowels.

KittyCatCenter

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Haven't you experienced... khm... constipation due to changing your surroundings? Vacations, for example? It's completely normal for a cat to experience certain bodily changes due to stress, they are animals, but animals experience stress even more severely than we are able to understand.

I understand that you worry, but I'd suggest giving it a day. Then, if the situation doesn't change, take it to the vet, just to ease your soul. Congrats on adopting the new fella!

cat marcum

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
When I adopted my first cat she was only 6 weeks old and a tiny little thing. She was peeing in the litter box but there was no poo. I called the vet because she was active, eating and drinking but no stool for 3 days in her box. The vet told me to look around the room as she was confined to one room while she was getting use to everything. Well, that day I found her hiding spot behind the ironing board. I scooped up a few pieces and laid them on top of her littler box and cleaned up the other and never had any issue after that. She went right to the box and covered it over and used the box from then on. Turns out the owners of her mother kept them outside and she was use to going on the ground.