New Cat Mummy

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Poppy (02427537).jpg

Hi! I live in Southampton, UK and Poppy is my first kitten. She runs the house! However, as I'm out all day (she is an indoor cat) I'm leaning towards getting her a baby brother but I don't want to ruin our relationship (such as it is!). Any tips would be great.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Welcome to The Cat Site. :hithere: Congrats on becoming a new cat mummy. Poppy is adorable. :catrub:

I only have the one cat. My orange, tabby girl, Ruby. :lovecat2: But lots of people have 2 cats or more, so you should find lots of advice here. I believe if you get her a baby brother while she's still young, they should become best buddies.

Here's an article on cat introductions, though it may not apply so much for kittens:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide

Good luck. :catman:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you :) She's only 8 months old so fingers crossed she will be okay although it's just me and her and she's quite a cautious mummy's girl.

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
A08FCC84-2867-4C6D-9E62-C12407934CA7.gif
Hello Minxrat and Poppy, on behalf of The Catsite community, a warm
35E032E5-F959-4449-8B8D-30DD77DFB00B.gif
to both of you.

Good to see you guys here and feel free to ask questions if you have any and post them under the appropriate forum headings so that you may have your questions answered by the many friendly cats we have here.
Also please do check out the many informative articles here Articles | The Cat Site

Pooppy is a beautiful kitty :happycat::lovecat4: and do post more photos of her and we have a special thread just for her here Post pics of calicos, tortieshells and orange cats here!

Enjoy your stay and see ya around :wink:

abyeb

Charlie's Purrson
Veteran
Purraise
Welcome to TCS! Poppy is very pretty.

We have a lot of knowledgeable cat owners here, so you're definitely in the right place to get info about introducing cats! The article that Rubysmama linked you toward is a great one indeed, so that's a great place to start! It should apply to kittens as well, just that generally the introduction process goes a little faster for kittens.

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Thank you - I will have a read of it. I'm really blessed with my beautiful girl and I just want us to co-exist quite happily!

mightyboosh

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Minxrat Minxrat She's a little beauty and my humble opinion is, get her a friend. Cats are individuals so introductions vary but they work out sooner or later.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Baby Milo is totally adorable. Hope he and Poppy become best buds. :catlove:

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
First time he’d met a new person. He’s here now and still has that look!

Minxrat

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Milo arrived on Saturday morning. We had hissing and growling from both.
Sunday he was whacking her and she whacked back (was quite amusing when he did it from a higher point!)
Monday they were chasing each other like something out of Benny Hill, with rough and tumbles all round. I separated them once when she growled during it.
So, so far so good. I've left them today with no worries.

Only thing is feeding. She's a long drawn out eater and he's a gobbler. So he's hogging the food. I tried feeding her separately on the counter but lo and behold he bounced straight up there. Any tips on calming him down at feeding time? Also in the litter tray where (a) he likes to lie and (b) he kicks forever (I remember her doing that tho).