New cat mom wondering about transition to dry food

Jacp

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi, I recently got my sweet kitten Sage and right now she is eating 1/3 of canned food twice a day and I leave out dry kitten food that she nibbles on. I’m wondering when should I transition to just dry food? How much will she need to eat and is twice a day good ? I guess I just want to make sure she will eat enough and not think I’ll keep giving her canned food.

Azazel

Time spent with cats is never wasted.
Top Cat
Purraise
You should never transition to all dry food... you should feed all wet food ideally. Dry food is unhealthy for cats.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
As others have said, your cat will do much better on a diet of canned food. A little bit of dry is OK now and then as a treat, but if she's happy on canned then stick to that.

You'll save money on vet's bills in the long run if you stick to mainly wet food. Make sure you rotate between brands and flavours so she doesn't become too picky.

:)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. Just saw this post... How old is your kitten? Anything less than 1yo, she should be given free range to some dry food, as well as canned food at intervals throughout the day. If you go with a combo of dry and canned, you will just have to monitor how much food she eats - but, even then, 3 times a day of canned is better than two. Just twice a day is too long of a stretch between meals, especially if she is more interested in the canned than she is the dry.