New cat mom going off to work in 2 days

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello everyone, 

I'm a proud new cat mom, my kitten is now 11 weeks old, she's a white Persian mixed breed, her name is Cotton. I bought her 10 days ago, it was the beginning of the holidays here, and I thought it's best to be at home with her in the beginning. Now on Monday I have to go back to work, 7am to 3pm straight. During these past ten days, I have left her alone for a few hours at a time, the first time I did it was two days after I bought her and cried all the way. 

I have read several posts and articles, and as long as her room is cat proof, she has water, food, toys and a clean litter box then she's fine. I even read that I should put some music on for her. 

I bought a radio especially for her though she doesn't seem to pay attention to it. 

She has several toys, little balls some with rattles in them, a mouse, a shoebox and a basket, she has a scratch post, two windows with wide window sills, she prefers one of them, and has chosen it for her morning and evening naps. She uses the other one to sit and watch the fish tank (which is a bit high for her to reach now, plus it's covered). 

Her nails were cut yesterday for the second time since I got her, and she got a dry shampooing session, I brush her hair daily and clean her eyes and ears twice, and give her fluffy hair a brushing once or twice a day. I scoop her litter box two to three times daily. 

I feed her dry food, Nutram for kitties, just as they used for her in the pet shop that I got her from. I bought an automatic feeder from Amazon but won't get it till Thursday. 

I'm still worried though, any advice? If there's anything more for me to do for her? Was thinking of getting her a Cat Cam (I think it would be getting it for me), I saw several nice ones on Amazon, one that's cube like and has a laser pointer, but its a bit too expensive for me right now, especially with everything that I'd already bought. 

I'm afraid she'd just sit there and yowl at the door, she did it a couple of times already, though not every time (not sure what exactly triggers it). She's really sweet, she sleeps with me, over me, she follows me around, gives all signs of "I love you". It really breaks my heart to have to leave her :(

Waiting for your replies! 

Thanks 

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
Try not to worry too much - I'm sure you'll be far more worried than she will be. In addition to what you're already providing, a kitten-sized plushie-type toy for her to snuggle up to might be a good idea. She'll probably also appreciate your leaving a worn, unwashed tshirt in her bed -ideally something you've worked out in or slept in. Basically, the stinkier the better ;) A Feliway diffuser is worth trying too, as it's really helpful in creating a calm environment for her.[article="22410"][/article] [article="22537"][/article][article="22426"][/article][article="30312"][/article]

Other than that, if you can set up a routine where you play with her, then feed her just before you leave, that will leave her ready for a nap - meaning that she'll be far less focused on your leaving.[article="0"][/article][article="32656"][/article][article="30336"][/article]

An extra box is never a bad idea when leaving a cat all day - it just makes certain they'll have somewhere clean to go, even if you're delayed for some reason.[article="32424"][/article]

Above all, keep calm yourself. If you're upset, she'll pick up on it and be more likely to be upset too. You going to work is no big deal - it's just life. You being relaxed will keep her relaxed...it's a win-win situation.[article="30316"][/article][article="32758"][/article]

Slightly off topic now, but introducing a proportion of wet food into her diet would be a great move. Wet food is wonderful for helping hydration, and is more satisfying for the cat to eat. In the long term, it will help with weight management too, as kibble is so calorie dense. Personally, I feed a mostly wet diet, with a little kibble as a treat (my girl in particular adores her kibble :yummy: ).[article="30756"][/article][article="29707"][/article][article="0"][/article][article="31127"][/article]

Good luck with her. It sounds like you're a wonderful cat mom to this sweet girl...and she sounds absolutely adoreable too :heart3:

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

supergirl

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you Columbine,

I've wanted to reply earlier but for some reason, the website doesn't always open quickly. 

Today is my third day at work after she came into my life, and the past couple of days were fine, I came back and she would be just getting up from a nap :D then she'd be really playful and active, I guess from so much napping. Though she got into the habit of sleeping in my closet, so I left its slididng door open, so she won't get trapped in it. 

I got into a routine of playing with her before I leave, and then give her food and leave while she eats. 

I usually adjust the room temp to 27 celsius (80.6 fahrenheit), but today I forgot, so it's still 24 (75.2 f) :,(

I hope it'll be fine. She has two windowsills to warm up on.

Columbine

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It sounds like everything is going great :D I really wouldn't worry about the house 'only' being 24C - my house is usually around 18-20C and my cats are just fine :)