New Cat Mama - Should I Let My Kitten Roam Around The House At Night Freely?

Izzydg

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi guys, i am new to having a cat, i adopted my kitten when she was 14 weeks and when i got her initially set up a whole room for her so she could get used to feeling safe in one space (also because i have a dog). After a week i have gotten my cat and dog to cohabitate. During the day my kitten is free to roam around the house and explore with the supervision of me and my mom. However, she is starting to get more curious and i was wondering if it would be unsafe to leave her roaming at night inside the house? What precautions should i take? If I shouldn’t leave her free to roam at night yet when would it be ok to do so?

Thank you in advanced! All tips are greatly appreciated

tabbytom

Happiness is being owned by a cat
Staff Member
Mentor
Purraise
:hellosmiley: lzzydg, welcome to TCS!

Thank you for adopting this new kitty and for giving her a warm and fur-ever loving home.

If your house is cat safe and there's no way she could escape and also all medications, human foods and toxic cleaners and cables and curtain cords and certain plants and flowers which are toxic to cats and breakables are properly stored away from the kitten's reach and all hidey holes are plugged up, and make sure the dog doesn't chase her, it should be ok to let her free roam day and night.

As soon as she can free roam the better. So that she can get use to the house and surroundings. Just leave more toys around for her to play.

Some articles for you to read :-

kitten-proofing-your-home-13-practical-tips.33888

cats-lilies-avoid-the-danger-lurking-in-your-home.33397

cats-and-hidden-dangers-in-the-home.29642

9-tips-that-will-help-your-kitten-adapt-to-a-new-apartment.33871

quiz-is-this-dangerous-for-my-cat.33834

the-cat-safety-quiz.33494

There are many more great articles to read here in ams

Last edited:

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
For all that the dangers are very real, we let our kittens roam because the dangers never really go away and waiting a couple of weeks won't really help. Just have to kitten proof as best you can -- read the linked guides above. Beyond that, there is nothing wrong with letting a 14 week old roam the house at night.

Last edited:

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. :wave2: Congrats on being a new cat mama. :bouquet:

Can we see a picture of her? :camera:
How To Add A Picture To Your Forum Post

About letting her roam the house at night, as long as the house is kitten-proofed, and tabbytom tabbytom covered that, it should be fine. And, of course, in your case you need to be confident your dog won't attack her.

In all likelihood, however, she'll probably end up sleeping on your bed most of the night. :catlove:

duncanmac

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
"Kitten Proofed" Such a wishful term. The kitten will find something you didn't expect and didn't think could possibly happen. We found our new kitten in the front closet on top of the shelves. Apparently she climbed up the clothes to get there.