New Cat Lost (Previously Outside Access)

SoularPowered

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, guys. Just looking for some insight on what we should be doing to have our cat return home. We got a 2 year old cat from some friends one week ago. The cat was an outside access cat at their house, but since he’s been here, he’s been inside only. He mostly stays under the couch, but he comes out everyday to eat and hang out with us. He’d even nap with us. We left the upsatairs door open to hang some clothes on the balcony, and he got out. We didn’t realize until later way later in the day. It’s day two that he’s been out. What should we be doing to get him back home?

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats should be kept inside for 4-6 weeks before they get used to their new surroundings. I'm afraid he is going to try to get back home, so driving around in ever-widening circles and posting pictures of a lost cat everywhere is about all you can do. He will not be familiar with the new area. Please check frequently with your local shelter and give them a description, and you might try a local radio station in their lost and found. Children are great at seeing lost pets so make sure you offer a reward to the neighborhood children to come to you if they see him. I'm so sorry, please keep us informed!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I don't know how far away you live from your cat's old home, but you need to notify your friends that he escaped and post notices in that neighborhood as well as your own. Most, if not all the steps, noted in the TCS article below should be done in his old neighborhood as well as in your neighborhood.

I don't think the article mentions this, but if your cat didn't leave the area trying to get to his old home, he may be hiding out very nearby. Any and all potential hiding spots around your house, as well as your immediate neighbors' yards should be searched. Under decks, in sheds and storage bins/buildings on each property, in bushes/hedges, and even up in trees.

Help! My Cat Is Lost! – TheCatSite Articles

Good luck! Hope to hear from you soon that your cat is back home with you safe and sound.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

SoularPowered

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey, everyone! We randomly woke up this morning around 6:00am Because my girlfriend heard something. It was Percival! He was inside. He must have been hiding. Like, really well. There’s not many places he could’ve been. We thought we’d checked everywhere. Our last guess is that he was under the bathroom cabinet. Either way, we’re happy to know that he’s safe here with us. Thank you guys for your insight.

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thank goodness! Please don't let him out for at least 6 weeks. Better yet build him a catico or keep him inside at all times. My cats were all outside cats and they are strictly indoors now, I have buried too many. Once again, I am SO happy for you, thanks for the update!