New cat is spraying/peeing

AmyS10

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi everyone,

we adopted our 1 year old male cat from Cats Protection a few weeks ago, and he has sprayed a few times around the house. It’s getting to a point now where we don’t necessarily know and then we end up finding it because we can smell it, which obviously isn’t pleasant :(

he seems completely settled and really happy, so is he just doing this to mark his territory? He uses his litter tray absolutely fine for both peeing and pooping.

he is allowed to go outside from next week, will he maybe start spraying outside instead of inside then?

any advice would be appreciated!

thank you!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I take it if you adopted him, he is neutered - so, I will not address intact male issues related to spraying. If you have the ability, you might want to ask the folks at Cats Protection what his background is and if it involved spraying. If he was neutered as an adult, the spraying could also be a 'hold over' from his days before being neutered.

I'd also ask about whether or not he has been used to being outdoors before. If he is used to spending time outdoors before, perhaps the spraying is affiliated with that aspect. If not, being allowed outdoors might make it worse. Any particular reason you plan on letting him outdoors?

It might just be the fact that he is still new to your home since it has only been a few weeks - despite the fact that he seems settled in and happy, he still could be experiencing some level of stress. Did you introduce him to a room to start with and let him get used to that room as his 'safe' zone before letting him roam other parts of the home? Sometimes, not letting them acclimate to one area first will cause a stress level by being exposed to too much all at once. Another possibility is that he is getting used to being by himself if he was with other cats before.

I would set up more litter boxes, especially if there are specific areas he seems to want to spay in. If you catch him acting like he is about to spray, you can pick him up (don't yell or say anything) and place him in one of those litter boxes - and, if he stays and pees in it, be prepared to give him a treat. You might also consider some calming products, such as Feliway diffusers to see if that might lower any level of anxiety he might still be feeling.

Finding the urine as soon as possible and cleaning those areas with enzyme cleaners will hopefully help, so he won't be as inclined to consider those places as invitations to go there again and again.

And, don't rule out having him checked out by a vet, just in case there is some urinary issue brewing.

Hopefully, other members will come along and offer some additional ideas for you.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Wondering too if there is a particular area where he tends to spray, and if there are or were any other animals in your home?