New cat is extremely stressed out

navy6973

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Just yesterday afternoon, I got a new cat around 1 year 2 months, lets call him Bean. I also have another cat that has been here for 2 months, lets call him Leo. So far everything was going fine, in fact Bean did not hide under the bed a lot, and he seemed open and let us pet him, which should be good. Now fast forward 4 hours. My mom had just been in my room and she was about to leave, but then suddenly Leo slipped through the door and into the room. This is the first day I got Bean by the way. They both hissed and yelled each other, but luckily they did not attack each other. We managed to get Leo out the door, but Bean is still on edge. I went to sleep, and woke up the next day. I go in to check on him, and now he makes this chewing motion with his mouth whenever I come close, and he also hisses even when I come close. He doesn't hide under the bed too, he just lays out in the open, I don't know if this is normal. What should I do?

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

navy6973

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you! Since the cats have accidentally been introduced on the first day, is there a different way I should start introducing them to each other?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi! I would think under your circumstances, it is even more important to follow the introduction steps. Bean needs some time to settle down after their accidental encounter.

Katy Perkins

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
All animals, including humans, do better with change if they still have something familiar for security.
A favorite cat bed, blanket, piece of furniture they like to sit on any or all of this help.
I always bring their old litterboxes, scooped out of course, but with litter they've used several times, so it smells familiar. (Note: I don't mean dirty litter!)
If you are moving to a place far away enough to have a different water source, they might not drink properly, so a gallon jug of their familiar tasting water, doing a gradual mixing with the new source, can help.

Make sure they have places to hide in your new home, but that you know where they are.
Cat scratchers that they've used a bit already are also going to help. Scratching is a territorial expression, so this says to them that this is theirs.