New cat introduction... Weird

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi, thank you for your honesty.
I want to commit, at times I am simply afraid I am not being a good "cat parent" in this situation.
To be clear, I do not expect them to become best friends. I simply hope that in time I will be able to open all doors again and leave them alone without having to worry about them fighting etc.

I know that in some cases animals are kept separate for a year or even their whole life. Now that depends on how the house is structured, in my case I assure you that neither cat would be happy with such a long-term separation. That's my main fear. That their well-being, and I won't lie mine too in watching them struggle, is disrupted.
Luckily it is way way way too early to have to consider that. So don't let yourself be focused on that idea. Actively watch and note for yourself the good things, even at an interaction you consider negative.

Yes, certainly if there's some health issues, that will slow progress. But Nobel had very big arthritis and it just took some extra time for him to know Magnus wasn't going to pounce him.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all!

I got some good news. Anis, I named her so, is starting to come out of her hiding in the "presence" (so to speak, they are on the other side of the gate) of her brothers. She still hisses but still she comes out voluntarily.
Catnip and catnip snacks help.

Today she even played a bit! With very little growling and hissing.

That said: would that be a good idea to have short, supervisioned meetings with one cat at a time?
I am afraid she might come to consider the corridor and the kitchen her territory, if always left undisturbed. What do you think?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Wonderful news! And a beautiful name.

She's only just building confidence. She needs time. Be patient and keep taking it slow. You should not be moving on until there is 0 growling. Some minor hissing is fine.

Remember that pushing her too fast will only give you setbacks again.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
One on one introductions without a gate would be for if one RC was more comfortable than the other RC. Your situation is NC is the slowest cat to acclimatize. So it's NC's pace you must follow.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I got the blood results. Everything is fine, no kidney issues!

Know we start therapy for arthritis and we hope that by being less in pain she will be quieter with her brothers. For the ear problem, we'll see. That is certainly not a good time for her for a surgery. She'd never adjust.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I got the blood results. Everything is fine, no kidney issues!

Know we start therapy for arthritis and we hope that by being less in pain she will be quieter with her brothers. For the ear problem, we'll see. That is certainly not a good time for her for a surgery. She'd never adjust.
Hopefully it won't come to surgery, but removing the outer part of one ear may not even cause hearing loss if it comes to it.

Im hoping once shes more comfortable, you'll see better progress with your boys. Keep it up!

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello there, just a quick update.
Looks to me the gate is doing wonders. In less than two weeks, Anis went from hissing and growling (though softly) upon merely seeing the boys through the net to, well... still greeting them with hissing and growling sometimes, but very very little.

She now eats without almost no complaint with the boys in her sight, stares at them without noises after a bit, I even saw her slow blinking at them. One of them tried to climb the gate and she didn't react at all. She plays sometimes.

Her favorite spot is still under the cabinet, but yesterday she came out in the open in the corridor. A few hissing and growling, then she sprawled down and proceeded to let me per her, all the while purring.

She's not yet ready for a face to face meeting I think, but she may be soon if things improve at this rate. Do you agree?

Attachments

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello there, just a quick update.
Looks to me the gate is doing wonders. In less than two weeks, Anis went from hissing and growling (though softly) upon merely seeing the boys through the net to, well... still greeting them with hissing and growling sometimes, but very very little.

She now eats without almost no complaint with the boys in her sight, stares at them without noises after a bit, I even saw her slow blinking at them. One of them tried to climb the gate and she didn't react at all. She plays sometimes.

Her favorite spot is still under the cabinet, but yesterday she came out in the open in the corridor. A few hissing and growling, then she sprawled down and proceeded to let me per her, all the while purring.

She's not yet ready for a face to face meeting I think, but she may be soon if things improve at this rate. Do you agree?
You're really getting there yes!

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I admit I didn't get Anis sometimes.
Yesterday she blinked, the same day she spied on her brothers from behind me without growling or hissing.
Before bed she seemed nervous though.

This morning she started hissing and growling when She saw them. Then she went to smell the gate, without them in sight, curious about the living room apparently. When Joy started to come closer, ready for some "nose to nose", she was back to hissing and growling, then went hiding.

I also noticed that the boys sometimes play fight in her sight.

It seems to me she is scared of them.

Is there anything I can do to make her understand the boys are not a danger?

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I admit I didn't get Anis sometimes.
Yesterday she blinked, the same day she spied on her brothers from behind me without growling or hissing.
Before bed she seemed nervous though.

This morning she started hissing and growling when She saw them. Then she went to smell the gate, without them in sight, curious about the living room apparently. When Joy started to come closer, ready for some "nose to nose", she was back to hissing and growling, then went hiding.

I also noticed that the boys sometimes play fight in her sight.

It seems to me she is scared of them.

Is there anything I can do to make her understand the boys are not a danger?
Time and patience and yummy treats when tey do good behaviour.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Also, I am a bit worried because I think I heard one of the boys hiss to the other when they were sharing some treats while in front of the gate. I'm not completely sure because I noticed some hissing (non cat-related) sounds were coming from outside.

But if that was indeed a hiss, it worries me because my boys hissed at each other maybe once at the beginning of their cohabitation.

What I can say is that they don't groom each other anymore, for now at least, and that their play-fighting is a bit more rough than the usual. They still share the same room and the bed. Not sure about the window, now that I think about It I have not noticed them watching outside together for a while. Nothing worrying, but still a change I think.

DeesCats

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I think the minor hissing is normal and could also be related to outside noises that briefly concerned them.

As far as them not grooming each other now, it may be just a temporary thing and nothing to worry about.

The same goes for the play fighting being a bit more rough. My cats do the same thing and while it seems that they are 'mad' at each other, it's just normal at certain times of day. You can always try diverting their attention from each other by tossing some toys or balls in the general direction or a cat wand with dangling feathers or similar to engage in playing and to reduce the wrestling.

I'm in the process of trying to integrate a new cat with my 2 boys. Colly is the New Cat, I've had him since January 28 of this year and he has been in his own room since then. I did install a DIY screen door to his room so the all the cats can interact without harm. I have been able to leave the screen door open during the day since April except for feeding times and the cats are fine. At night however, my one cat Long Legs (RC) does get more frisky and will rush at Colly (NC) so I keep the screen door closed for a bit.

My other cat Binks (RC) does frequently visit with Colly (NC) during the day and they occasionally get in a wrestling match with minor cat screaming but nothing that is serious or causes harm to either cat. Binks (RC) is an instigator during play times and often cries or squeals during these active wrestling matches, runs away and then comes right back for more play time.

When I go to bed at night, I leave the screen door open for Colly (NC) and keep the boys (RC's) upstairs with the door closed. This has been working great for 3 weeks now as it gives Colly (NC) more time to explore the downstairs during the night without worrying about getting ambushed by the other 2 RC's.

I also want to mention that Long Legs (RC) seems more attuned to noises whether it be dropping the TV remote, adjusting my position on the recliner, outside noises or similar things and he often looks at Colly's (NC) room to see if he has come out. He soon settles back down on my lap and I soothe him by petting and talking to him and he drifts back to sleep.

Some cats are just hyper alert to sound and smells especially when introducing a new member to the family, whether it be people or cats and it just takes longer for them to be more comfortable.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ok. Thanks for sharing your experience, it's been helpful.

I am not actually worried about my boys. Even if that was a hiss, which I am not sure about, the rest of the time they share their space almost normally.

Right now I'm hoping the growling and hiding will stop soon. I'm doing what I can, I think, I suppose it will only take time now.
I'm a little discouraged because yesterday I closed the boys in the bedroom to let her explore the living room, but she didn't seem interested. Not even with food or treats at hand.

The boys were with my mom so they were not even that loud.

I know it takes time. I just feel the progress Is so, so slow. Also I know some cats keep on hissing on a occasional basis even after introductions have been made. I would be fine with that, what I fear is having an animal that goes around hissing and growling on a permanent base to the boys. Even if it never escalates to aggression, I don't think that this behavior builds a healthy everyday life.

I will be going on holiday at the end of August and I dearly hope that by now all three can coexists peacefully.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
This happened today, after a busy morning as I had air-conditioning set up, so a bit of mess around etc. By all accounts, she would have had every right to be in a bad mood.

- YouTube
- YouTube

Plus there has been nothing more than a couple of hisses as she passed by the gate.

I believe that there are some circumstances that make her scared, thus she growls etc, and others that calm her. I just can't understand what they are.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
To me, doesnt seem like shes in a bad mood just nervous about something.

Youll learn her fear triggers over time. It can take a bit to work out.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
No no she was not nervous at that moment. I am surprised she was not due to the busy morning.
That makes this even more progress imo.

I should mention she had come close to the gate only once before. Today she did it twice, both in the video posted and once more to smell the gate while the boys were eating. Also she moved from kitchen to corridor a couple of times.

Alldara

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
No no she was not nervous at that moment. I am surprised she was not due to the busy morning.
That makes this even more progress imo.

I should mention she had come close to the gate only once before. Today she did it twice, both in the video posted and once more to smell the gate while the boys were eating. Also she moved from kitchen to corridor a couple of times.
Oh i see! Thats really wonderful. Youre making such good progress with her and your little clowder.❣

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you :)

I'm starting to believe she might be really sensitive to sounds, or weather, or something I can't identify. That would explain why some days she's happy and moderately hissy while other times she growls at the mere sight of the boys.
I did get a hissed at (very softly) as a dog outside barked.

Still, I forgot. Today I found her in the kitchen. She began her stay in the bathroom, then moved to the corridor. Since she's here she's slowly starting to spend time in every room at her disposal.
Hopefully one day soon she'll get curious enough to want to explore the living room too.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Poor Anis can't take a break!
Tonight an abscess on her chin burst.
She's ok and she's been taken care of. It wasn't there last week, when she went to the vet.

I wonder if her recent moods were caused by this. She surely was in pain, thus afraid of the boys as she can't yet trust them.

Tonight, too, I took one of them inside her area keeping him in my arms. I did not get close because he does not like to be held and wanted to get down, but still, Anis did not hiss nor growl. No reaction at all.

chigusa

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Today I let Silverio enter Anis' "quarters". I chose him because he has trouble jumping and is less eager than his brother to make friends with her.

At first she growled very, very softly. Then apparently she relaxed while he was going around the rooms.

After the video she laid back on the washing machine with her back to him, then purred as I pet her.

Good progress I guess?
I'd like to get her used to Silverio, since he's calmer than Joy, little by little.

Is that a good plan?