New cat introduction in small apartment issue

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I'm bringing home a new cat later today who gets along with other cats and is up to date on shots. I plan to put him in the bathroom (the only room with a closed door) as soon as I bring him home. I'll do the scent introduction and other recommended things over the next few days. However, there is no way for me to bring him in without my cat seeing him (through the cat carrier). Is it better to sit the cat carrier down and let them see each other for a couple of minutes before I separate them?

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I don't think it will advance or set back the intro to do that per se, but I suppose it could serve as a test for how hard this is likely to be on your current cat. Bathroom introductions are quite hard, with escapes and premature interactions being very common, so its not totally crazy to do a quick temperature check. But I'd probably skip it and shoot for at least a few days of isolation first. Its a bit too optimistic to think that everything will be instantly ok, so a temperature check right away won't achieve anything. Your cat will figure out there is a cat in the bathroom soon enough and you'll get evidence of how its going pretty quickly I think.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thank you! I was able to put him in the bathroom with no issues since my cat was hiding under the couch. He was in a group cat room at the shelter and smells strongly of urine so I'd like to bathe him. Also, even though he's had his shots and tested negative for feline leukemia, etc., it's possible he has fleas. Any recommendations for what to use?

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
I'd just use a damp wash cloth or paper towels for now and then get some unscented baby wipes or pet grooming wipes. I wouldn't stress the new cat even more with a full bath.

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice! I'll get some pet wipes tomorrow:)

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. If this cat is of age enough to have flea treatments applied, I would use one. If your current cat does not have flea treatments that you could use on this new cat, then ask your vet what they would recommend.

Have to ask - why is your resident cat hiding under the couch?

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks! My current cat has been spending more time under the couch since the pandemic started. My schedule has been less predictable working some from home and some days in the office so it's thrown off his routine. It seems to comfort him to be in a more closed space. Also, his brother died a couple of years ago and I think he's a little depressed. He's been to the vet regularly to make sure he's healthy otherwise. I do think a companion will help, but I'm trying to take it easy with the introductions.

flybear

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I foster and never once had a cat that smelled of urine - not sure what kind of cat room that poor baby came from but .... I bet that he is able to clean himself pretty nicely all on his own once his environment is more hygienic and clean- I would put towels into your resident cat's beds and sleeping spots and use those to transfer scent to the new cat gradually ... I use a bathroom for all my cat introductions and it has worked well for me ... you will quickly see how both cats react to each other ... even social and cat friendly cats need some time. They have different body languages and it always seem to be like cats from different colonies have to " learn" each others language . I have a cat who likes to sit under furniture often and she is perfectly fine - she hides from strangers as well but loves to be with her chosen people ... she likes small enclosed spaces and hangs out under blankets ... just her personality ...

theyremine

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Could he be a recently neutered adult? They can give off quite an odor for several days. If so, the smell with dissipate over several days.

lgerkin

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
He was neutered last year I think. I used pet wipes and they pretty much took care of the odor. Happy to report that both cats have met and spent time together with almost no hissing. They are comfortably sleeping near each other right now. Whew!😌🐾