New cat Introduction behaviour help and advice please

Stuart loube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello I have 2 cats one my older cat has been around cats his hole life. how ever we got a new rescue cat the other day because one of our cats died. our old cat is ok with the new cat being in the same room or walking around or using the same litter he even follows the new cat. He has aloud the new cat to smell his tale and sit next to him but every now and then he will hiss at the new cat when he gets to close. there has been no fights or swatting just hissing should I be worried and should I reintroduced them from the start again

oyster

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I think that your older cat has been quite tolerant and is still trying to adjust to the situation.
We introduced a 5 month old kitten to our senior cats last year and one of them (the other died last month) still cannot stand to sit beside him. He will accept him being in the same room but will usually, ignore him. There is some hissing from the senior cat but we all ignore it. I step in only when the younger one bullies the older one. Some personalities just don't mix and we have accepted that. In general, I have found that it might be best to leave them alone to sort it out. (with a human nearby-- to intervene if needed)
All the best.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hello and welcome to TCS. A bit of hissing is fine, as it's a cat's way of communicating. It's fur flying, blood, or one cat seeming scared of the other, that you need to be most concerned about. If you're worried, don't leave them alone when there's no humans around to keep an eye on things, but otherwise I'd just let them continue as it is, while keeping a close watch on how they're interacting.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stuart loube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you for your responses

nunnc84

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Thank you for your responses
I agree as long as they are talking its ok.
Be ready with a blanket to throw over them if they fight.
You have to break them up.
No matter how passionate scary the fight is.
Do not leave them unattended or unsupervised.
When you are not physically watching them physically separate them. Let them take turns sleeping in your room if that is a worry.
Older cats get set in they're ways..yep..
I can sympathize with each cat and you.
Been there done that.
Consider your cat's ticks and try to avoid setting them off the edge.
De stress with plug ins, cat nip to introduce new territory. Essentially your home is territory for the taking, even your affection.
You got this.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Stuart loube

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone quick update my two boys are getting on great now they sleep next to each other every night and play together all day they love chasing a ball together

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Oh, that's excellent news! Thanks for the update. :catlove: