New cat in the house! NEED TIPS

Cat mom to Knut

Adult cat
Kitten
Purraise
So we already have one adult male neutered cat who is thriving. My friends moved in a couple of days ago with another un-neutered male cat. He is constantly following my cat. My cat hisses and does not seem to like this other cat. He never tries to hurt him or fight, but seems very territorial towards him when he gets close. The un-neutered cat constantly meows and looks for my cat when he is outside or cannot find him. The un-neutered cat is never aggressive towards mine, he seems to like him a lot. What can we do to make them calm or get along? Would it help to get the new cat neutered? Is this something that gets better with time? Any help, information or tips would be greatly appreciated!! We really want and need this to work as we with the old cat are moving from him soon!

-Frustrated Cat mom

Maurey

Maine Coon Madness
Top Cat
Purraise
He should be neutered regardless, but you need to do a slow introduction. Your resident cat doesn’t like that there’s a strange new cat in his territory all of a sudden.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Definitely, yes, get the new cat neutered asap. It won't guarantee that both cats will be friends, but it will prevent (hopefully) territorial spraying.

But for now, take a step backwards, and re-start the introductions, by keeping the 2 cats separated and doing a slow introduction where they can gradually get used to each other's presence.

The resident cat should be allowed full run of the home, with the new cat kept to one room or area. This may actually move quickly, since they've already met and not gotten into a fur flying fight yet. But if you want them to be friends, or at least not enemies, starting over again is the best way to proceed.

The links Maurey Maurey posted should have some tips for you.

There's also How To Fix An Unsuccessful Cat Introduction – TheCatSite Articles

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I strongly advice you neuter him, this week if you can! If money is an issue call your vet. Explain you found a community/feral cat that seems somewhat friendly to humans. Many cities/vets do discounts on community cat neutered. Also your local shelter often have spay/neuter days for $40 bucks here in California. You can call them now for pricing, dates & to make an at.

Vet discount was how my mom’s garage cat was neutered for half price. Chester is a reformed feral she had pity on & started feeding. Sadly it took my mom years to get him fixed FINALLY at 8 years old! It greatly reduced his cat fights. I wish she had neutered him way back when he first showed up around 7 months old! He was severely injured probably from a cat fight or a small dog biting through one nostril. From the day she neutered & vaccinated him, he got moved into the pet category. Plus my cats taught Chester how to train his humans.

Neutered cats get in less cat fights & roam a whole lot less. 4E0AFC77-AA76-45AA-A4E4-98B1047F5ADA.jpeg