New Cat In Home Need Help!

DJS6990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! So I have a cat (Pause) who just turned one (today actually!) and I wanted to get him a friend (another cat) for his birthday. This girl posted on FB that she was giving away a cat (a little over a year old) because she was allergic to her. I went over there and the cat seemed really friendly and affectionate, so I took it home with me. She was, of course, a bit shy and hid behind the bed for a while, but I took her out and tried to play with her but she was just all tense and would have these really deep low meows - almost growls. Pause is super super friendly with cats/dogs and tried to touch their noses and had all the signs of a friendly cat, but she would only growl and hiss at him. Last night I kept Pause in my room with the door shut so Reeses (the new cat) could explore the apartment without interruption. I was thinking she could see that there was nothing to fear. I woke up this morning and she was still hiding behind the toilet which is where I left her last night with her food/water/a litter box. Now she has been hiding in the closet and has been super aggressive towards Pause, not so much me. Does anyone have any suggestions to make her feel more comfortable and be more friendly towards Pause? This is her third house she is going to be living in. Also, she used to be an outdoor-indoor cat so I don't know if that has anything to do with it. How long should I give it before I say that it isn't going to work out?

Any help would be much appreciated! Thanks!

thricenine

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I think it's probably a good idea for you to keep your new kitty in a small, safe place while she adjusts to her new home rather than letting her have the run of the place and keeping your resident in the bedroom? That way Pause isn't losing his territory, and she has a much smaller, less scary place to call home for a while. Put bedding, a litterbox, a scratching post, toys, food and water in there for her. Then split your time evenly between both cats.

The new cat is probably feeling quite overwhelmed by all of this sudden change - and the two of them need to be introduced slowly and through positive association and reinforcement. She also needs to be introduced to your home slowly, probably one room at a time. Cats are territorial, and not pack animals like dogs. Generally, unless both of the cats are 8 week old kittens without any 'cat manners' or territorial behaviors, they should be kept separate and slowly acclimated to each other.

She is probably posturing/claiming territory from Pause, and also frightened by the new noises/smells/etc.

There's a very good article pinned to the top of this forum about how to introduce cats properly and I can tell you it works, because I just used it! Intro time really depends on the cats. I got lucky and was able to leave Dinah and Binx alone together after just a week, but I was prepared for it to take several weeks to months of positive association/scent-swapping/supervision. Hissing and growling are totally normal, but like I said above, they need to be kept separate so no one gets hurt and they can learn associate each other's smell and presence with things they love: their bedding, food, special toys, etc.

Introducing Cats to Cats
The Ultimate Guide to Introducing Your Cats

Cats adapt slowly! Just take your time, start at the very beginning, and go at the pace your cats indicate to you.

Last edited:
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

DJS6990

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks so much for the advice! I am hoping it doesn't take several weeks but I guess I just have to be patient.

moorspede

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
It took my cats 8 months to feel comfortable with each other, it's taken others 12.

Rachel Warner

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can also put new or old cat in a cage or carrier when around other cat so they don't fight but can sniff and smell other one ...

elliesvictim

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
1. Leave her be. Until she figures out everything's ok, everything is viewed as a threat.
2. Give her a safe place to his, be alone.
3. Give her time to get acclimatised in a smaller are. Then progress to wider areas.
4. Limit your interactions and let her come to you.

Good luck