New cat hissing at resident cat—advice?

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi there,

A week ago, my husband and I adopted our second cat from a local rescue. They allow a 2-3 week trial period to see if the cat is a good fit. We really want this to work out but aren’t sure if the new cat is a good match for our resident cat.

The new cat (NC) is about 4 years old and our resident cat (RC) is about 5. RC has been an only cat most of his life but is extremely social and playful. We have been taking introductions slow (NC in a separate room, scent swapping, site swapping, feeding across the door, etc.). The scent swapping and site swapping all went well (no hissing or hiding).

Within a few days, RC decided he needs to be best friends with NC. He meows and chirps outside the door and tries to hop over the baby gate that we set up a couple days ago, so we can leave the door open while we’re home.

NC is not pleased and growls and hisses whenever he sees RC. We have played with them on opposite sides of the gate, which seems to help a bit, but NC does not seem to want to leave his room. I think he’s probably afraid, but I’m also unsure of his history with other cats. He is pretty nice around humans, but a bit aloof (especially compared to our clingy RC!).

Should we continue leaving the door open with baby gate up while we’re home, even if there’s hissing or growling? Or should we move back to keeping it closed until he stops growling? It really only happens when he sees RC. RC is very talkative and NC doesn’t seem bothered by his meows when he can’t see him.

It’s so hard to take it slow when there’s a short trial period, and we can tell our cat really wants a playmate! We know it’s still early but want to make sure we’re giving them the best chance at getting along.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. You may have rushed things if it's only been a week. NC has hardly had enough time to get used to his new home, much less getting introduced to another cat - that is probably why you are noticing that he doesn't seem to want to leave his room.

Maybe just shorten the time the door is open with the baby gate - and do it only when feeding and/or playing for now. And, since there are two people in the household, one of you should be on each side of the gate, then switch off so that neither cat is left alone during the feeding/playing process.

Spend more time with NC in his room too, to help acclimate him a bit more. Adult cats are typically going take longer to adjust than kittens, so I am not sure you are going to have the results you really want by the end of your trial. I hope if you work harder on getting NC comfortable in his new home/safe room, you will start to see less hissing and growling - enough so to go ahead and adopt him, and finish up introductions thereafter!!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hi. You may have rushed things if it's only been a week. NC has hardly had enough time to get used to his new home, much less getting introduced to another cat - that is probably why you are noticing that he doesn't seem to want to leave his room.

Maybe just shorten the time the door is open with the baby gate - and do it only when feeding and/or playing for now. And, since there are two people in the household, one of you should be on each side of the gate, then switch off so that neither cat is left alone during the feeding/playing process.

Spend more time with NC in his room too, to help acclimate him a bit more. Adult cats are typically going take longer to adjust than kittens, so I am not sure you are going to have the results you really want by the end of your trial. I hope if you work harder on getting NC comfortable in his new home/safe room, you will start to see less hissing and growling - enough so to go ahead and adopt him, and finish up introductions thereafter!!
Thanks for your advice! We’ll take it slower this week and see how it goes. We were so impressed by how quickly RC warmed up to NC that we probably have too high of expectations for NC right now. We also weren’t sure if by leaving the door open he would eventually realize that RC isn’t being aggressive, but sounds like it’s just too much for him too soon. We’ve been trying to spend as much time as possible with both cats (my husband with one and I with the other), so hopefully that will continue to help.

cataholic07

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I personally hate trial adoptions, cats can take quite a while to adjust not only to other cats but home too. That is why generally you don't see most true personality until at least a month in when they have settled in. That's why the rescue I am with, does not do trial adoptions but we require the cat(s) to be returned to us if they ever need to be rehomed. You will have to slow down with the intros and go both cats pace. Hissing is very normal for cats, you just don't want growling or claws out. Bribery, slow intros, and feliway can do wonders for cat intros :) You want them to be good friends so taking your time is very important.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
That's why the rescue I am with, does not do trial adoptions but we require the cat(s) to be returned to us if they ever need to be rehomed.
Same with my area. They actually said they let the potential adopter take as long as they want in order NOT to discourage a longer adjustment period if needed.

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
The rescue we adopted from does allow a longer adjustment period if needed. The minimum period that they require before you can formalize the adoption is 2 weeks, but you can extend if needed. I’m just not sure how long it takes to know if two cats aren’t a good match and won’t get along. This is my first time introducing two cats to each other.

The problem we’re having now is that our resident cat wants to see the new cat SO badly that he’s constantly following us to the cat’s bedroom door and meowing outside of it (even if we’re not in there). When we try to feed them on opposite sides of the gate, he just wants to get as close as possible and watch NC instead of eating. NC will eat, but will glance up and hiss or growl at him while doing so. It’s been hard to go at a slow pace when RC isn’t going at that pace as well. We might try to put a towel over the gate and make the sight exposure more gradual, although RC will probably try to find a way around it!

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
I am glad you can take more time with the trial if you need to! I think it will end up working out. It just seems NC has to have more time to adapt. Once you start to see more positive changes in him, you will know you are on the home stretch given RC's completely benign reaction to NC. Keep it going!!!!

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Well it has been another week and I’m not quite sure if things are getting better or worse... We can mostly get through feedings, playing, and treat time on opposite sides of the gate with little to no hissing from NC. He definitely wants out of his room more (crying when the door is closed, although we try to spend equal time in there with him) and he has become confident enough to jump over the gate when the door is open. We have been trying to give him space to sniff and explore and keep RC from following him around too much. They have been sniffing each other a bit more under our supervision, but NC always hisses and growls at RC after sniffing him or if he gets too close. In the past two days, NC has also lunged and swatted at RC (who is usually just sitting there and seems very confused about the whole thing, never hissing or swatting back). Is this normal? We separate them when it happens, but then NC cries at the door again. He is very sweet to me and my husband but seems to really dislike our cat :( every time I think we see progress, something discouraging happens. I know two weeks is not a lot of time, but it’s hard to see him being so aggressive. We have been trying to go at his pace and take cues when he is ready to move to the next step, so I’m unsure if it’s still fear or if he really just doesn’t like other cats. Do you think the positive signs (eating together, wanting out of his safe room, etc.) indicate that we’re still moving in the right direction?

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
If you are allowing NC out of his safe room to get used to the rest of the house, you should start this process without RC being there. So, one of you can spend some time with RC in a specific room and the other one can be with NC while he explores the rest of the house. This might help NC get familiar with smelling RC's scent around the house first before actually having RC present in that area.

Eating together is a good sign!!

Katliterary

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
If you are allowing NC out of his safe room to get used to the rest of the house, you should start this process without RC being there. So, one of you can spend some time with RC in a specific room and the other one can be with NC while he explores the rest of the house. This might help NC get familiar with smelling RC's scent around the house first before actually having RC present in that area.

Eating together is a good sign!!
Okay, thanks! I should mention that we did do separated site swapping several evenings last week, and NC seemed very relaxed. There was no hissing when he sniffed RC’s bed and perches. Now that he has tasted freedom from the bedroom it seems he wants more... as long as RC isn’t there! So maybe we need to go back to separate site swaps.