New cat hiding under couch bed

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hello! I was hoping to get some advice..

We adopted a new (second) cat on Monday. She is a shy cat, around 1 year, but was letting her foster pet/hold her.

We set up our spare room for her and made some hiding places, but she immediately went under our couch. We didn't even think this was a possible hiding spot because the space to get under the frame is incredibly small. She doesn't come out at all during the day, but we see on our camera that she does explore at night.

My concerns/things I'd love advice on:

Under the couch is very tight (and dusty!) but there is a long narrow space where she can actually sit up straight. But I worry that going in and out under the frame is very difficult. She seems to struggle sometimes and I don't want her to hurt her back or something. I know taking away the place she feels most comfortable in will be traumatic for her, but is better than her morphing into a puddle all the time? (I tried to put the couch on risers but the couch is so heavy that it ruined them!)

Is it bad that she is only eating/drinking/going to the bathroom at night? Our former/current kitty would go multiple times throughout the day.

I've done everything I could find on Google (mostly in advance of her arrival).. including Feliway diffuser and spray, quiet alone time, calming treats, scratchers with cat nip, toys, cat tree, started introducing our scents.. but if you have any lesser known tips, I'm all ears!

Thanks in advance for your time 😸

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Cats are amazing at getting into and out of small spaces. Unless there is a nail sticking out somewhere, there is unlikely to be any danger unless a family member decides to convert the couch to a bed while the cat is under there. Make sure that doesnt happen

Assuming the couch bed is in the spare room, this doesn't strike me as a big deal. If its in the living room (i.e. if the cat escaped from the spare room) that could make things a bit harder. Anyway, the goal is for you to spend quiet time nearby and not rush the cat. You can try luring out with treats or toys, but the main thing is patience.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies!

Yup - she has only been in our spare room. It's just me and my husband so no worries on the couch bed getting opened, and my husband is working in the room during workdays - so there is regular (but not always) calm human presence ignoring her.

We totally get that we have to be patient! I just want to be sure she's hurting herself or not eating/drinking/peeing/pooping enough.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can maybe slide food and water under the couch, but it isnt strictly necessary and its not such a big deal if she only comes out at night for a few days. Not uncommon.

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for your replies!

Yup - she has only been in our spare room. It's just me and my husband so no worries on the couch bed getting opened, and my husband is working in the room during workdays - so there is regular (but not always) calm human presence ignoring her.

We totally get that we have to be patient! I just want to be sure she's hurting herself or not eating/drinking/peeing/pooping enough.
My cat stayed under the couch for 3 months. I had to move the litter box back and forth depending where my other cats were. I forgot once so she peed on the floor. Then she decided to move to my bedroom for a year. Eventually came out on her own. Your cat is younger so it shouldn't take as long.
If your kitten feels uncomfortable she will move. Leave out a card board box. I had to feed her in my bedroom then slowly move her to the kitchen. Be sure your cat has places she can jump high. She now chases my cat peaches.

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
When we adopted Casper, we brought him home and put his carrier down in the living room and opened the door. He came out, greeted his new humans and made a lap around the house to investigate his new home. He went upstairs, found a hiding spot under the bed and stayed there for the rest of the day. He came out at night when all the humans were asleep to eat and use the litter box. There he stayed for the next three days.

Casper would come out for brief visits but, for the next several weeks, his home base was his hidey hole under the bed. We were happy to leave him there because we were sure that there was nothing under the bed that Casper could get into or get hurt on.

If your cat is hiding some place (under the sofa bed) where she seems to be okay and won't get hurt, it's best to leave her be. She should come out on her own when she decides to.

If you think that she could get hurt under there or if you think she could get stuck, the best thing to do is to find her a better hidey hole then block off access to the place you don't want her to go.

Other than that, just let her be. She'll come out when she decides to. :)

minish

minish first..
Alpha Cat
Purraise
You can make a hidey hole as an extension of the couch by taping a cardboard box to the couch. So that she can move in it without being seen. Also make a small entry towards the outside (a bit larger than the cat's head but not too big) that opens somewhere not threatening (i.e. Sideways to your husband's workspace) . Put enticing treats even maybe a water bowl in it, a small fabric she can lay on. So she will be curious, safely discover, preferably prefer the box. If hiding continues more than a week, a bigger box..

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
You can make a hidey hole as an extension of the couch by taping a cardboard box to the couch.
Casper's Girl-Human wanted to make herself a kotatsu table so that she could sit comfortably and do her craft projects and things so she put a blanket over a small end table located in the center of the living room.

The idea of a kotatsu is that a person can sit with their legs under the table to read or do some work and the blanket keeps them warm. It's a nice, cozy space! :)

Well, it didn't take long before Casper discovered it and decided that it was cozy for him, too!
Now that he's taken it over, we call it "Casper's kotatsu." It's his favorite hidey hole! Casper's Girl-Human put some blankets on the floor, under the table so that Casper has a nice bed to lay in, too!

It's located right near the humans so that he can be close to where the action is but it's closed in on three sizes so he's safe and comfy and warm in his own, private blanket fort!

Whenever we can't find Casper, the first place we look for him is under "Casper's Kotatsu!" ;)

If you want, you could try throwing a blanket or a sheet over an end table and making a kotatsu, kitty fort for your cat, too.
Maybe it'll become her favorite hidey hole, too! :D

New2cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I feel this soooo hard. I just adopted a 4 year old cat on Saturday and he is just a lump behind my couch. This being my first cat it’s hard to not take it personally and get frustrated. He is doing everything you are saying. Only using the bathroom and eating at night. Even when he does eat it doesn’t seem like a lot. Maybe a little more then half of what I put out. Thinking this could last a month or longer just makes me feel terrible, like I’m putting him in a bad situation that he is in constant fear of. It’s only day 3 too! I have alot of respect for the people live like this daily for months on end. I struggle with anxiety personally and even though I can’t see him I know he’s there and know he’s not happy. It’s kills me but I am going to push through for myself and the cat. I know when (hopefully when not if) he comes out and accepts me it will be worth it but man this is tough for me in the mean time. As you can see by this post I needed to get these emotions out lol.

Mango*#*

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Ours does the same thing. As long as it’s a safe place like in a bed it’s fine. They’ll come out when ready. But if there are any holes leading into interior walls be sure to block them off. It’s scary to think about them getting stuck somewhere, no matter how unlikely.

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I somehow missed the most recent replies (sorry!)

After two weeks, we did have to lift the couch and let her run to a new hiding place -- I wasn't 100% sure it was 100% safe and it wasn't giving us the opportunity to interact with her. She now lives on a shelf in our closet :lol:

We put food up there for her in the day, on the ground at night because she comes out all night no problem, and we talk to her throughout the day. Progress has mostly been.. "oh she didn't hiss at me!" or "she blinked at me!" but shockingly she came down for about 10 minutes when I was in the room playing with our resident cat. We heard that she loves other cats, and we we off book a bit since we can't introduce them the normal way (scents, feeding on opposite sides of the door, etc.) However, resident cat isn't so sure.

I'm hopeful she will come around at some point - her foster mom could actually bet her after a month - but recognize it's going to be a long journey. I just don't want to create a routine of her living in the closet all day and only comes out at night, alone.

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
You can make a hidey hole as an extension of the couch by taping a cardboard box to the couch. So that she can move in it without being seen. Also make a small entry towards the outside (a bit larger than the cat's head but not too big) that opens somewhere not threatening (i.e. Sideways to your husband's workspace) . Put enticing treats even maybe a water bowl in it, a small fabric she can lay on. So she will be curious, safely discover, preferably prefer the box. If hiding continues more than a week, a bigger box..
This is such a great idea. I think we actually ended up doing that (without meaning to) because we were trying to block the entrance. However, one day she managed to move it - even with books on the top to weigh it down - and got back under the couch! We moved swiftly to lift/remove her.

tahnyuh

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I feel this soooo hard. I just adopted a 4 year old cat on Saturday and he is just a lump behind my couch. This being my first cat it’s hard to not take it personally and get frustrated. He is doing everything you are saying. Only using the bathroom and eating at night. Even when he does eat it doesn’t seem like a lot. Maybe a little more then half of what I put out. Thinking this could last a month or longer just makes me feel terrible, like I’m putting him in a bad situation that he is in constant fear of. It’s only day 3 too! I have alot of respect for the people live like this daily for months on end. I struggle with anxiety personally and even though I can’t see him I know he’s there and know he’s not happy. It’s kills me but I am going to push through for myself and the cat. I know when (hopefully when not if) he comes out and accepts me it will be worth it but man this is tough for me in the mean time. As you can see by this post I needed to get these emotions out lol.
You're only on day three! Our OG kitty (Bear) hid under a shelving unit for a week. But she seemed more afraid of the environment than people.. this one is the opposite. I keep getting pangs of guilt for adopting her.. like, was she happier with her foster? Am I not the right choice?

I thought I was experienced with shy cats after some super shy fosters, and our resident cat needed a playmate and she apparently loves other cats, but I still worry.

How is it going now?

Bolts

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
My rescue Len hid behind the washing machine for days, he came out for food and litter tray and to hiss and growl at me :crackup:I just sat in the kitchen talking to him and a bag of treats to lure him towards me when he popped his head out…a few days after he was sitting happily on my sofa.. albeit still hissing and growling lol.