New Cat growls at People/Animals Outside

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I adopted a second cat at the end of September. I noticed that if my husband or guests are outside the window he is sitting at, he will start growling. He also does this when there are deer outside. If my husband or the guests are inside, he is perfectly normal and very friendly boy.
Has anyone seen this behavior before? It’s like we are different people if we are outside?

He was a stray cat before in a feral colony before we adopted him from a rescue group that fostered him. He was a city cat, so maybe he’s not used to a suburban setting? It’s funny to watch him growl and try to be all scary.

neely

May the purr be with you
Veteran
Purraise
I'm guessing he does not recognize the people when they are outside as opposed to inside where he knows their scent. Cats are very territorial so having been a stray in a feral colony may have this effect on him too.

Silver Crazy

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Sounds like he has claimed the house and surrounds as his territory and as neely neely has said.
My previous cat would not have strangers in his yard or house and would growl and howl at the windows.He chased the gas meter man down the road to his car one day. Blue my present cat growls at the postman and wont let strangers in the house except when they come in with me.
But they are Bengals and slightly weird.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

TardisDance

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
neely neely , interesting! I did not think of that but it makes sense. He actually growled when he saw the mail truck once as well.

My older female cat used to get scared and would run away when she saw someone by the window outside. She’s okay now with people or wildlife outside near her.

vince

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Certain things set cats off. With my girl, it's not the sight of things, but certain sounds from outside. She growls at loud voices, slamming doors and things like that. Doesn't seem to care much about fireworks or thunderstorms. Dunno why.

The two male cats aren't bothered by anything outside, just the female. She has a particularly ugly-sounding growl for such a little kitty.

Meowmee

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I adopted a second cat at the end of September. I noticed that if my husband or guests are outside the window he is sitting at, he will start growling. He also does this when there are deer outside. If my husband or the guests are inside, he is perfectly normal and very friendly boy.
Has anyone seen this behavior before? It’s like we are different people if we are outside?

He was a stray cat before in a feral colony before we adopted him from a rescue group that fostered him. He was a city cat, so maybe he’s not used to a suburban setting? It’s funny to watch him growl and try to be all scary.
Merlin does that if he sees me outside cleaning up after the outdoor kitties on the patio but he gets scared usually. I think it is because I had a mask on once and glasses maybe and he did not realize it was me. The only time I have heard him growl etc. was when a racoon came to eat the catfood. It was so funny, he has never been that upset about them before and he is a former outdoor kitty as well.