New cat growling and hissing at resident cat

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Thanks...that is really helpful to know.

Ahh, okay...so he does like to run around...just from his 'safe room' ...to your bedroom...and back.
And is still afraid to explore the rest of the place.

So you will have to build up his Confidence and Trust.

I would suggest taking the gate down completely.

I know you said you tried to Play....but he won't engage.
Have you tried all sorts of cat toys, or even ping pong balls, scrunched up paper,...wand toys, fishing pole toys....or puzzle feeders?
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

There are some other good toys...that might help:
17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
cat toys – TheCatSite Articles

As well as check out the reviews and cat toys on amazon:
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Cat Toys
18 cat toys with thousands of positive reviews
If you check out some Youtube videos...they also have some diy cat toys...which will give you more ideas.

You can also...build up his Confidence ...using Food/treats...and just sitting, and reading to him.... and being with him, too.
So the more you can do that...then hopefully....the more he will Trust...that everything around him is okay.
Leaving a trail of treats...or food that he likes...to get him to ...venture further towards other areas of the home.

Try to do, ..something similar to what Norachan, suggested above...place some boxes...or even chairs...temporarily outside the two rooms...in the hallway....so he can walk 'higher up' on them...and create a sort of 'super highway' ...for him...where he might feel better....being off the floor...and looking down.
Shelving..
.would be great...but not sure if you can attach anything to the walls...if you rent.
Ikea, home depot, and walmart used to sell some... nice modular square cube shelves...which are free-standing.

Getting some cat trees/cat condos...or making your own...might be the better option.
Anything you can think of ...to make him feel more safe.
Thank you so much...this is so helpful. I have tried different toys but I’ll take a look at the links. And as of this morning, I did remove the gate. He hasn’t come out yet but we’ll see. I will try the chairs along the hallway. I do have a few cat amenities, a 5 foot cat tree, a window perch, separate tall scratching post, a tunnel, lots of toys and wands. I also placed a few boxes around the apartment. They have 4 different types of beds which includes a tent strategically placed high and low. Now all he needs to come out and see what’s out here. ;)

I do spend time with him during my lunch hour and in the evening. Sometimes I’ll also work in the room with him. He is food motivated so I’ll try the trail of treats.

Thanks again. I appreciate the help.