New cat growling and hissing at resident cat

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - long post ahead.

I recently adopted Stormi, a 2 year old female cat from a rescue, 6 weeks ago. She is finally finding her mojo. Has changed dramatically since I brought her home. She is the sweetest cat ever, still a little skittish, but very sweet. Loves to be pet but doesn’t let me pick her up yet. Long story short, I wanted to get her a companion. So I’ve adopted a second male 2 year old cat named Tomorrow (still trying to find a good name for him).

Tomorrow was surrendered by his family because they couldn’t take him where they were moving to. Tomorrow was anxious at the shelter so they gave him gabapentin and had someone foster him after about 3 weeks.The resident cat in the foster home did not like him. She terrorized him, hissed and growled at him. Supposedly he would look for her and wanted to play with her but eventually he stopped coming out of the room and hid. The foster had him for a little over 2 weeks.

I picked him up and did everything like I’ve read. Set Up his safe space along with everything that he needs. He warmed up to both me and my daughter from that first day. He loves petsies (as my daughter calls it). After a few days he was scratching at the door and meowing, so I began the scent swapping and feeding by the door. He seemed fine with that.

Then they met, through a gate and he began hissing and growling (which I know it’s normal). He seems very anxious. He’s scared of every noise. Loves to do biscuits (a little too much) and licks his lips (signs of anxiety). What’s weird is that he can play and sleep while in the same room with Stormi but if she gets a little close he starts growling. He’s even growled when I bring something of hers. He hides whenever we open the door to the room and if he doesn’t hide, he’s constantly looking at the door, watching out for her.

Stormi just ignores him and proceeds to come in the room and sit, play, or even sleep.

should I keep doing what I’m doing? Should I be doing anything else?

Stormi is the gray cat and Tomorrow is the black one. Any suggestions on names for him?

Attachments

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Forgot to mention that he’s very affectionate and LOVES tummy rubs.

Furballsmom

Cat Devotee
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
should I keep doing what I’m doing?
yes, you're totally on the right track. It's just time now for them to continue to work things out, but they've made huge progress to this point.
Good for you and for them!!

...try some cat music for him - there's Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, RelaxMyCat and also MusicForCats :)

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
I love the name Tomorrow. If it were me I'd stick with that one.

Make sure he has plenty of escape routes and hiding places for when Stormi comes into the room. He'll feel safer if he has a couple for cat condos, so he can get up above her and keep an eye on what she is doing, or cardboard boxes. Lie the boxes on their sides and maybe half cover with a blanket, so he can get into them but still see what she is doing.

It's great that she is so chilled out about the whole thing

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Stormi and Trumper has a certain ring to it, especially since Stormi is the dom and Trumper the sub. Ok, ok, no one thinks thats funny, sorry. Stormi and Trooper is amusing (to me). But Tomorrow is a perfectly good cat name.

Hyper vigilance (aka "guard duty") is a normal stage to be worked through in getting to acceptance of a new cat. You may eventually have to leave the gate open full time to make further progress -- you'll see how it goes with whatever "open gate time" your doing now. Sometimes it takes more time together and the smaller sessions don't work. After watching them for a couple of lengthy sessions, you'll know they arent going to fight, and then you can move to leaving the gate open as long as your in the house and can listen for trouble.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
yes, you're totally on the right track. It's just time now for them to continue to work things out, but they've made huge progress to this point.
Good for you and for them!!

...try some cat music for him - there's Cat In My Arms on Spotify and elsewhere, RelaxMyCat and also MusicForCats :)
Thanks for the advice. I will look for the music. I’ve been playing classical music.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
I love the name Tomorrow. If it were me I'd stick with that one.

Make sure he has plenty of escape routes and hiding places for when Stormi comes into the room. He'll feel safer if he has a couple for cat condos, so he can get up above her and keep an eye on what she is doing, or cardboard boxes. Lie the boxes on their sides and maybe half cover with a blanket, so he can get into them but still see what she is doing.

It's great that she is so chilled out about the whole thing
Thank you. I’ll look for some boxes.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Stormi and Trumper has a certain ring to it, especially since Stormi is the dom and Trumper the sub. Ok, ok, no one thinks thats funny, sorry. Stormi and Trooper is amusing (to me). But Tomorrow is a perfectly good cat name.

Hyper vigilance (aka "guard duty") is a normal stage to be worked through in getting to acceptance of a new cat. You may eventually have to leave the gate open full time to make further progress -- you'll see how it goes with whatever "open gate time" your doing now. Sometimes it takes more time together and the smaller sessions don't work. After watching them for a couple of lengthy sessions, you'll know they arent going to fight, and then you can move to leaving the gate open as long as your in the house and can listen for trouble.
I think I might do that. Thanks for the advice.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I picked him up and did everything like I’ve read. Set Up his safe space along with everything that he needs. He warmed up to both me and my daughter from that first day. He loves petsies (as my daughter calls it). After a few days he was scratching at the door and meowing, so I began the scent swapping and feeding by the door. He seemed fine with that.
Then they met, through a gate and he began hissing and growling (which I know it’s normal). He seems very anxious. He’s scared of every noise. Loves to do biscuits (a little too much) and licks his lips (signs of anxiety). What’s weird is that he can play and sleep while in the same room with Stormi but if she gets a little close he starts growling. He’s even growled when I bring something of hers. He hides whenever we open the door to the room and if he doesn’t hide, he’s constantly looking at the door, watching out for her.
Stormi just ignores him and proceeds to come in the room and sit, play, or even sleep.
Hi Lara13 Lara13 ...I think you are doing great. :)

I would continue with the Scent Swapping...as much as possible...to get Tomorrow to accept the scent of Stormi.
Because you mentioned that Tomorrow has growled when you 'brought something of hers'...it sounds like he is still nervous and needs some more time to totally accept her...or at least to be comfortable around her.

How long has it been since you started the Scent Swapping?
and do you notice any lessening of the growling?
Have you tried "room swapping", yet?

Each step of the cat-to-cat intros...usually takes a week, ...but sometimes the time-table is faster or slower.
It's not written in stone. It just helps the cats lessen their 'fight or flight' responses...to the point of each cat not really caring too much about the other one...within their territory.
It also builds up each cat's Confidence, too.

You've probably read this Cat Site Article, but I'll just post it again, in case someone else needs it:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles
...The resident cat in the foster home did not like him. She terrorized him, hissed and growled at him. Supposedly he would look for her and wanted to play with her but eventually he stopped coming out of the room and hid. The foster had him for a little over 2 weeks.
(Not sure how long cats remember for,...but Tomorrow might still be feeling the effects of the last female cat who scared him.)

When you do the Scent Swapping,...try to always give Tomorrow some sort of treat, food, praise...to associate the scent of Stormi with something good.
Also, when you are on the step of doing the "room swaps"...then notice...if Tomorrow goes around the room, and smells all of Stormi's scent, and does any "scent marking of his own" ...using his cheeks, paws, body, etc.

(As for choosing names,I'm rubbish at it.
I really like Tomorrow, too...but you can also shorten it to "Morrow", "morro"...or what your daugher said, "Petsies"...lol.:lol: That is so cute. Though it might cause some confusion.) :blush:
Or choose a 'weather type name that goes with Stormi'...(I have no clue.*birds chirping in my head now*...um...Lightning, Cloudy, Snowy...for a black cat that would need some explaining...lol. :stars: :disappointed: ) I know you'll choose better and wisely.

Both your cats are beautiful looking. Post more photos when you have the time. :thumbsup:

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi Lara13 Lara13 ...I think you are doing great. :)

I would continue with the Scent Swapping...as much as possible...to get Tomorrow to accept the scent of Stormi.
Because you mentioned that Tomorrow has growled when you 'brought something of hers'...it sounds like he is still nervous and needs some more time to totally accept her...or at least to be comfortable around her.

How long has it been since you started the Scent Swapping?
and do you notice any lessening of the growling?
Have you tried "room swapping", yet?

Each step of the cat-to-cat intros...usually takes a week, ...but sometimes the time-table is faster or slower.
It's not written in stone. It just helps the cats lessen their 'fight or flight' responses...to the point of each cat not really caring too much about the other one...within their territory.
It also builds up each cat's Confidence, too.

You've probably read this Cat Site Article, but I'll just post it again, in case someone else needs it:
How To Successfully Introduce Cats: The Ultimate Guide – TheCatSite Articles

(Not sure how long cats remember for,...but Tomorrow might still be feeling the effects of the last female cat who scared him.)

When you do the Scent Swapping,...try to always give Tomorrow some sort of treat, food, praise...to associate the scent of Stormi with something good.
Also, when you are on the step of doing the "room swaps"...then notice...if Tomorrow goes around the room, and smells all of Stormi's scent, and does any "scent marking of his own" ...using his cheeks, paws, body, etc.

(As for choosing names,I'm rubbish at it.
I really like Tomorrow, too...but you can also shorten it to "Morrow", "morro"...or what your daugher said, "Petsies"...lol.:lol: That is so cute. Though it might cause some confusion.) :blush:
Or choose a 'weather type name that goes with Stormi'...(I have no clue.*birds chirping in my head now*...um...Lightning, Cloudy, Snowy...for a black cat that would need some explaining...lol. :stars: :disappointed: ) I know you'll choose better and wisely.

Both your cats are beautiful looking. Post more photos when you have the time. :thumbsup:
Thanks for the advice. I tried swapping rooms but he just goes and hides in my room and does not explore the rest of the apartment. He has come out for like a minute and takes a look and goes back. He’s still very nervous. Then I feel bad for Stormi to be locked up all day in his room.

She has rubbed herself all over his toys in the room and I just saw him rubbing himself on them like he’s re-marking them with his scent.

I’ll try the treats when scent swapping again.
Thank you!

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
I tried swapping rooms but he just goes and hides in my room and does not explore the rest of the apartment. He has come out for like a minute and takes a look and goes back. He’s still very nervous. Then I feel bad for Stormi to be locked up all day in his room.
When doing the "Room Swaps"...you don't actually have to do it 'all day'.
Mainly it's just done for 20-30 minutes,...for the opposite cat to smell and cheek mark, and mingle all the new cat scents together....So that both cats have their Scents all over the apartment.

Yeah, it does sound like he is still timid and nervous...so probably needs a lot more time to feel Confident in his new place.
She has rubbed herself all over his toys in the room and I just saw him rubbing himself on them like he’s re-marking them with his scent.
That is fantastic.
It's like they are 'exchanging notes' or 'calling cards' ...for each other.

With more time, I think Tomorrow will feel more relaxed.

Danneq

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
Everyone else has said the important things. I just wanted to add, since Tomorrow (I like that name, me) is specifically dealing with a little bit of trauma from being bullied by another cat, it may just take him a little longer. He was there for two weeks? I am not a psychologist (cat or otherwise) but I would think it would take at least the same amount of time to convince him that he's safe. Probably longer.

Norachan

Staff Member
Purraise
Hi everyone...I’ve decide to keep the name Tomorrow. Didn’t know so many would like that name. :)
It's a great name.

There's a saying in Japanese, "Ashta ga aru" There's always tomorrow. No matter what today throws at you, there's always a chance to make things better tomorrow.

That's a very fitting name for a rescued cat.

:heartshape:

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
It's a great name.

There's a saying in Japanese, "Ashta ga aru" There's always tomorrow. No matter what today throws at you, there's always a chance to make things better tomorrow.

That's a very fitting name for a rescued cat.

:heartshape:
Awwww...didn’t think of it that way. So sweet. Thank you.

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi all - Tomorrow has now been with me for 4 weeks and he’s still so anxious. Doesn’t come out of his room only darts across to mine. Runs a little bit and right back into his room. He seems to be doing better with Stormi. He doesn’t hiss nor growl when she’s in his room playing. He will growl if she chases him.

My concern is that he’s by himself in the room. I go in a few times during the day to feed him, check on him and our daily play sessions. These sessions involves him watching Stormi and me playing, he doesn’t really join in. I’ve began leaving his door open with the gate up so that he knows we’re close by. He’ll meow for a while and do his zoomies. I feel so bad. Is he lonely?

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi Lara13 Lara13 ...which step of the cat introductions are you on now?
I know you said that you began from the beginning again...so I'm just wondering if you are doing the usual cat introductions with steps to follow...or are you doing a shortened version?

These are like the usual steps that are recommended:
the 5 Senses approach to cat intros.
  1. Hearing ...where the cats can hear each other, but not see each other.
  2. then Scent....and especially the 'swapping the scents, mingling the scents' and 'allowing each cat's scents to be all over the home'...so much so...that your resident cat will recognize and accept the new cat as part of her territory. This is the part where "Scent swaps" and "Room Swaps" are practiced to get both cats' scents everywhere.
  3. Visual is next,... but you are still doing Scent Exchange, and rewarding any good interactions with treats/food/praise. This can be done ...very, very gradually....by draping a bedsheet over the gate...and raising it higher and higher everyday...so the sight of the other cat...is not overwhelming.
  4. Taste is using food and treats... to make positive associations and encourage more Acceptance.
  5. Finally, Touch,....is when you've observed that your resident cat is no longer bothered by the smells, or sight of the new cat ..and you've noticed a huge decrease in your resident cat's fear responses.
If you can tell us your set up...and the layout of your place....then perhaps we'd get a better idea of the amount of 'territory each cat has'?
My concern is that he’s by himself in the room. I go in a few times during the day to feed him, check on him and our daily play sessions. These sessions involves him watching Stormi and me playing, he doesn’t really join in. I’ve began leaving his door open with the gate up so that he knows we’re close by. He’ll meow for a while and do his zoomies. I feel so bad. Is he lonely?
Does Tomorrow have a baby gate on the door-way to his room?
How long has it been up?
And is he not allowed to walk around the rest of the apartment?

sorry for all the questions...I'm just a little confused...about the set-up and...a typical day?

Lara13

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Yes...I followed all of the steps that you mentioned above. The resident cat is fine with him. Actually looks for him and wants to play with him. She seems comfortable with him and his smell. When I do the room swap he’ll just hide in the living room. Won’t really explore. He just doesn’t want to come out. I’ve put him in a carrier and put him in the middle of the living room so he can get used to the sounds and smells bu then he just seems so anxious. Stormi will explore the room, play with his toys and use his beds. So no problem there.

I have an apartment. His safe space is in a spare bedroom. He has his food, water, toys and litter box. When I saw that they were somewhat comfortable with each other and I didn’t want him to feel lonely. I put up the gate and just left the door open. They actually eat close to one another. And they’ll sit by the gate and just stare at each other. No hissing, no growling. The gate has been up with door open for about a week now.

In the evening I’ll open it and see if he comes out. I’ll try to play with him but he won‘t play. Sometimes he’ll just run across to my room and back to his. Won’t go explore the rest of the apartment.

cat nap

stand with ukraine
Top Cat
Purraise
...His safe space is in a spare bedroom. He has his food, water, toys and litter box. When I saw that they were somewhat comfortable with each other and I didn’t want him to feel lonely. I put up the gate and just left the door open. They actually eat close to one another. And they’ll sit by the gate and just stare at each other. No hissing, no growling. The gate has been up with door open for about a week now.
Thanks...that is really helpful to know.
In the evening I’ll open it and see if he comes out. I’ll try to play with him but he won‘t play. Sometimes he’ll just run across to my room and back to his. Won’t go explore the rest of the apartment.
Ahh, okay...so he does like to run around...just from his 'safe room' ...to your bedroom...and back.
And is still afraid to explore the rest of the place.

So you will have to build up his Confidence and Trust.

I would suggest taking the gate down completely.

I know you said you tried to Play....but he won't engage.
Have you tried all sorts of cat toys, or even ping pong balls, scrunched up paper,...wand toys, fishing pole toys....or puzzle feeders?
Homemade Puzzles - Food Puzzles for Cats

There are some other good toys...that might help:
17 Best Toys For Lazy Cats – TheCatSite Articles
cat toys – TheCatSite Articles

As well as check out the reviews and cat toys on amazon:
Amazon Best Sellers: Best Cat Toys
18 cat toys with thousands of positive reviews
If you check out some Youtube videos...they also have some diy cat toys...which will give you more ideas.

You can also...build up his Confidence ...using Food/treats...and just sitting, and reading to him.... and being with him, too.
So the more you can do that...then hopefully....the more he will Trust...that everything around him is okay.
Leaving a trail of treats...or food that he likes...to get him to ...venture further towards other areas of the home.

Try to do, ..something similar to what Norachan, suggested above...place some boxes...or even chairs...temporarily outside the two rooms...in the hallway....so he can walk 'higher up' on them...and create a sort of 'super highway' ...for him...where he might feel better....being off the floor...and looking down.
Shelving..
.would be great...but not sure if you can attach anything to the walls...if you rent.
Ikea, home depot, and walmart used to sell some... nice modular square cube shelves...which are free-standing.

Getting some cat trees/cat condos...or making your own...might be the better option.
Anything you can think of ...to make him feel more safe.