New cat found a very tricky hiding place and will not come out.

micemotel

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
I’m a brand new cat owner. I had one many years ago when I was a kid but I was not in charge of him. I recently got one (former stray, rescued by animal shelter, 9 months old) and he was very sweet and cuddly but a little shy for a few days, but I accidentally left my connected bathroom door open and he found his way into a tiny cranny underneath the vanity that is absolutely inaccessible to me. I can shine a light and take pictures in there.

He has been in this tiny cranny for over a day and won’t come out for anything. I’m worried he might be trapped. He has also urinated in this area and the bathroom is stinking up horribly. I do not know how to get him out. I don’t know how to disassemble this cabinet to get him out and I don’t even think it’s possible because it is connected to the wall.

I need him to come out. I am very scared. I am worried he’s going to kill himself in there and start defecating as well. Any and all advice is appreciated.

Update: Well, he’s not trapped. That’s eased my mind a bit. I opened up a floorpiece (???) and the hole is no doubt big enough for him to get through. I just find it very odd that he won’t come out for any food or water. Again, this has been going on for over 24 hours.

sivyaleah

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
He's afraid - new house, new smells, new sounds.
Do you have everything he needs in that room? Litter box, food, water?
Do you think you can lure him out with treats? Churos or all meat babyfood tends to be crack to cats.
Or, maybe with a wand type toy?
Honestly, I'd be seriously thinking about getting someone to take the cabinet apart. Think of it this way - if he does not come out and winds up dying in there, you're going to have to have it removed to get him out anyway. Horrid to think of but clearly it's important to find a way to get him out. He can't go much more than another day without food/water let alone if he's laying in his own waste.

EDIT: Is there a way for you to aim a canister of that keyboard air in back of the cabinet? They hate that hissing noise it makes and it might push him to go forward out, instead of hunkering down inside the area. We found out this works when one of ours got into our attic, under some mechanical equipment. As soon as my husband aimed the canister and it made noise she high tailed it out.

FeebysOwner

TCS Member
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Hi. I agree with all the above. So, you are saying that he can easily come out if he wants to? The big issue is making sure food/water/litter box is just outside that space so he can come out and use them - even if he goes back in there again. The smellier the food the better, and if there are any foods you know he is particularly fond of be sure to use those. Monitoring use of, or lack thereof, all of these things will enable you to tell if he is coming out when you are not around.

You also need to make sure there is nowhere else for him to travel to from that space, so that you can ensure he has nowhere else to go but back out into your bathroom. This is also important should you decide you need someone to help you dis-assemble the cabinet. Are you leaving the cabinet door open, and possibly creating a box just outside that he could move to as a new safe zone? Perhaps, even try to place a crate (with a door) and place towels/blankets over it (and on the floor of it) to enable to 'lock' him in it should you find he has at least temporarily re-located himself there. If you know someone with a baby cam, you might borrow it and set that up as well so you can keep an eye out on that area all the time.

I don't know how helpful these TCS articles are, but they are worth sharing with you if they help you come up with other 'tricks' to try.
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
16 Top Cat Experts Share Tips For Dealing With Timid Cats – TheCatSite Articles

maggie101

3 cats
Top Cat
Purraise
My cat peaches did that when she was 5 weeks old,very tiny. She came out on her own when no one was around. If it's where I think it is, the wood in my apartment is glued soo it can be ripped apart. 24 hrs without food or water is too long. So I agree,get help!

NekoM

TCS Member
Adult Cat
Purraise
I know it’s against instinct but take a step back, it probably sounds weird but the smell of urine in this situation is ok, he’s in a small dark place that smells like him. leave something like a gently worn unscented t shirt around - cats actually like the way we smell. Be patient he will come out.

DreamerRose

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
If there is a hole big enough to shine a light through, get a yardstick and stick it through the hole and back of him if you can. Then push him out through the hole in the floorboard.