New cat fighting with old cat

Fizzle52

TCS Member
Young Cat
Purraise
Hi guys, I made an earlier post about this but I’ve since managed to video my two cats and was hoping for some insight and tips. I’m so afraid of them getting hurt and really need them to get along, so any help is appreciated!

Some context: Boris is my neighbour’s 13-year old British shorthair who sort of lives here too, and Hurri is my 2-year old rescue whom we had to bring here because he has idiopathic cystitis and was constantly getting blocked from stress (which we thought was due to being confined in a small apartment with a dog). He is improving and peeing much better here with the garden and open environment. Our house is very open and there’s no way to really confine either of them. Both cats are neutered, but Hurri only 5 weeks ago.

Hurri has been here for a week now, and on the 3rd day started getting very comfortable and exploring the backyard, which is typically where Boris likes to hang out. He keeps encroaching onto Boris’s space and he looks more curious than aggressive, but Boris is not having any of it. They seemed civil for the most part for a few days, so I thought they would adjust, but this morning I woke up to find tufts of fur everywhere and both their collars ripped off. No wounds, no visible patches lost, but obviously they fought. I can’t watch them 24/7, so I really need them to learn to get along or at least for Hurri to stop bothering Boris (who is very non confrontational unless you get into his face or do something he doesn’t like, which is when he will swat and hiss).

I managed to film them last night in conflict, before the big big fight that happened overnight. In the video, when they got too close we separated them, but I can’t do this if they choose to fight in the middle of the night when we’re sleeping. Please any tips on what is going on and how to help them get along would be greatly appreciated! Here is the video:

Thank you!

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I would not let them see each other at all for at least a week. Then slowly reintroduce them. Site swapping (use crates if need be) & set times for who gets the backyard when (while the other one is locked inside) sound like a must.

Later when they are less aggressive, you can work on feeding them together (start with near the door with the other cat on the other side) treats & play when they are together. But you are a long way from that.

I would not let those cats within 50 feet of each other with that attitude! For every cat fight, you need 100 positive interactions between them. So it is best to avoid letting them even fight. If my cats started making those noises I would clap and if necessary yell at them..... maybe even gods a penny can 3-6 feet away from them go startle them out of it. You can get a 4x4 foot piece of cardboard to slide between them if they start fighting.

Not all is lost, they can get along BUT right now they need to not be anywhere near each other. Hang in there!

⭐Cat introductions take weeks for kittens & months for adults.

danteshuman

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Shake or toss a penny can away from them .... but I have never tried that to break up cat fight ..... just to stop a bully cat from going after a declawed old lady cat. 🤦🏻‍♀️ Eventually I just taught that cat that he was not allowed near her, though I wish I had known about prozac cream for cats back then.

rubysmama

Forum Helper
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Generally, the most successful introductions occur when you are able to keep the new cat separated from the resident cat for several days, even weeks, and slowly let them get used to each other.

However, with your open concept home, and the fact that Boris isn't really your cat, therefore not the resident cat, the process will be much more difficult. And I'm not sure what to advise. My first thoughts would be to either officially make Boris your cat, or keep him from coming inside your home. Otherwise Hurri isn't going to know if Boris is his "brother" or his "trespassing neighbour".