New cat bullying? (Long post)

Kelsey Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’ve been trying to read up on the site for several days and haven’t quite found anything helpful, so please direct this to another thread if it’s something you’ve seen!

I’m wondering if you can offer any tips, we’re finding Oswald (new cat 1.5 years old adopted 5 weeks ago) is being a bit of a bully to our resident cat Percy. He is younger and obviously likes to play (and percy is 5, and just learning what play fighting is). We’ve had to break up a few hissing/growling matches, nothing too serious, no real fights, but Oswald doesn’t seem to get the hint when Percy is yelling/hissing at him... no claws or fur flying...so we do believe it’s play (at least on one side).

Also, and this one really bugs me... we keep finding that Oswald and him will be happily (for example) sitting on the bed on each of us, and Oswald will just go up all of the sudden to Percy, play bite at him or kick him out of the spot, and take his place, and lay down....for no reason. It happens multiple times a day...It’s like it’s jealousy, but it’ll happen even when all of our attention is on Oswald. Or even if we’re not anywhere near them and Percy is just laying down comfy (anywhere). see the photo, I had just left the bed (and they were laying in my legs like that) and then a few min later, Oswald (the black and white one) decides to kick Percy out and move up slightly 🙄) my other cat will then just lay down somewhere else. But it’s kind of heartbreaking if he’s comfortable on one of us, and then just gets booted out.
We were under the impression he gets really attached (and even cuddly) towards other cats from the Fosters/the cat cafe he was in.

We’ve been trying to give him plenty of regular running around playtime, feed him 3x a day, but are still finding things a little difficult. (I know it’s early days).

He likes to yowl for no reason (the vet has checked him and he’s perfectly fine) so we’re trying to make sure he knows that won’t get him anywhere (so hopefully settles down). We were told he likes to talk...but Oi.

Anyways, I figured I’d message to see if anyone may offer some advice! It’s been crazy anxious stressful times!

Thank you!

Kelsey

Attachments

di and bob

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I take it both are neutered? If not that would help. It is still very early in the introduction stage, Oswald is trying to establish his spot in the household hierarchy. Percy will eventually tire of it and establish his own spot or let Oswald take top spot. It depends on his personality. What is happening is all perfectly normal, Percy is not as bad as you think, what is happening is normal in the animal kingdom. Just give him lots of attention and let him know he is still a member of the family. This will all level out, hissing, growling, and yowling are all normal as long as there are no deep bites or blood. Eventually, they will bond and become buddies, it just all takes time and lots of it.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Kelsey Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
They are both neutered. We are trying to find more ways to tire Oswald out as he seems just to be crazy! Perhaps slow feeding games or something (we feed them separate as Oswald scarfs his down, and then heads for Percy’s ). Thank you for the reply, I knew this would take time...it’s just a constant source of stress and anxiety. 😣

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello, I’ve been trying to read up on the site for several days and haven’t quite found anything helpful, so please direct this to another thread if it’s something you’ve seen!

I’m wondering if you can offer any tips, we’re finding Oswald (new cat 1.5 years old adopted 5 weeks ago) is being a bit of a bully to our resident cat Percy. He is younger and obviously likes to play (and percy is 5, and just learning what play fighting is). We’ve had to break up a few hissing/growling matches, nothing too serious, no real fights, but Oswald doesn’t seem to get the hint when Percy is yelling/hissing at him... no claws or fur flying...so we do believe it’s play (at least on one side).

Also, and this one really bugs me... we keep finding that Oswald and him will be happily (for example) sitting on the bed on each of us, and Oswald will just go up all of the sudden to Percy, play bite at him or kick him out of the spot, and take his place, and lay down....for no reason. It happens multiple times a day...It’s like it’s jealousy, but it’ll happen even when all of our attention is on Oswald. Or even if we’re not anywhere near them and Percy is just laying down comfy (anywhere). see the photo, I had just left the bed (and they were laying in my legs like that) and then a few min later, Oswald (the black and white one) decides to kick Percy out and move up slightly 🙄) my other cat will then just lay down somewhere else. But it’s kind of heartbreaking if he’s comfortable on one of us, and then just gets booted out.
We were under the impression he gets really attached (and even cuddly) towards other cats from the Fosters/the cat cafe he was in.

We’ve been trying to give him plenty of regular running around playtime, feed him 3x a day, but are still finding things a little difficult. (I know it’s early days).

He likes to yowl for no reason (the vet has checked him and he’s perfectly fine) so we’re trying to make sure he knows that won’t get him anywhere (so hopefully settles down). We were told he likes to talk...but Oi.

Anyways, I figured I’d message to see if anyone may offer some advice! It’s been crazy anxious stressful times!

Thank you!

Kelsey

Ms. Debra

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We had a very similar issue. The cat that was getting attacked, Blue, was so nervous he began losing patches of hair. After much money spent on vet visits to get to the bottom of the hair loss, one smart vet said it was nerves from being bullied by Mikey and suggested we put a gate up in the middle of the house and take turns lettiing each one be on the side with us in the evenings. The other one could be up against the opposite of the gate but not in the room with us. They also had to take turns sleeping in our room. I did this for about a month and all of Blues hair grew back and he is now ok. Mikey still tries occasionally to bite his neck, but Blue will yell real loud for me to yell at Mikey then all is fine.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Active young cats can be a PITA to less active or reluctant cats. Its unfortunately a pretty normal thing. But five is still fairly young, and hopefully Percy will get more comfortable and become willing to play a bit. It sounds like Percy is only really bothered when Oswald is acting up, which means things aren't too bad now and is a good sign for the future as well.

Kelsey Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Percy seems to be generally not to bothered, he doesn't go hide (or not for long) after these little spats. It just breaks a moms heart to see her first born kicked off the bed (no fight or anything) and then just sleeping next to the bed (he eventually jumps back up)...its just such strange behaviour to me. I appreciate all the replies!

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Don't get too upset about this, Oswald is just acting his age, and this sort of thing almost always improves from this point. Its just a question of how much and how fast. Give them time to work things out. Give the older one some closed-door attention now and then, maybe gently distracts/separate if he seems particularly miserable and let nature do the rest.

Kelsey Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Don't get too upset about this, Oswald is just acting his age, and this sort of thing almost always improves from this point. Its just a question of how much and how fast. Give them time to work things out. Give the older one some closed-door attention now and then, maybe gently distracts/separate if he seems particularly miserable and let nature do the rest.

Thank you! Much appreciated, this was such an odd thing and I couldn't seem to find any reading on the subject. Thanks for keeping my head grounded about the whole thing. You guys are all so awesome!

Kelsey Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! A little update...things seems to be going a little smoother...Percy (resident cat) seems to be fighting back and standing up for himself a little more...however, Oswald (new guy) seems to still not get the message when the growls and the hisses start...but hoping that will start to dissipate.

Next issue... :rolleyes: Oswald has been sweetly sleeping up between my husband and I (we're fine with this) and Percy sleeps at the end of the bed usually on our legs (he's not a big snuggler)...Oswald has taken to waking up at 4:30 every morning and immediately running to pounce on Percy, and wants to run around (they eat breakfast around 5:45/6am during weekdays (so not a ton we can do about them waking us at that time on weekends)...but the 4:30 run around, they end up under our bed (with said snarling and hissing occuring). He's got toys out in the living room and "his" room (with the cat tower and other goodies)...If we lock him in there... he basically does not stop yowling...not a closed door fan...we've been trying to basically ignore them the best we can as to not reinforce any habits...but mama is tired!

Any tips?

Thank you!

Kelsey Cat

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello everyone! A little update...things seems to be going a little smoother...Percy (resident cat) seems to be fighting back and standing up for himself a little more...however, Oswald (new guy) seems to still not get the message when the growls and the hisses start...but hoping that will start to dissipate.

Next issue... :rolleyes: Oswald has been sweetly sleeping up between my husband and I (we're fine with this) and Percy sleeps at the end of the bed usually on our legs (he's not a big snuggler)...Oswald has taken to waking up at 4:30 every morning and immediately running to pounce on Percy, and wants to run around (they eat breakfast around 5:45/6am during weekdays (so not a ton we can do about them waking us at that time on weekends)...but the 4:30 run around, they end up under our bed (with said snarling and hissing occuring). He's got toys out in the living room and "his" room (with the cat tower and other goodies)...If we lock him in there... he basically does not stop yowling...not a closed door fan...we've been trying to basically ignore them the best we can as to not reinforce any habits...but mama is tired!

Any tips?

Thank you!
I should mention we have been trying to tire him out before bed (until HE is done playing) and he gets a nice healthy sized snack as well!