New cat behind the sofa!

Charlie90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hey guys,

Looking for a little advice on the latest edition to our family. We recently adopted Victor (formally Prince, so ofcouse that makes his full title "the cat formally known as Prince") who, as you can see is a handsome chap. We adopted him from a family who had three cats but were unable to keep him. He has been a house cat all his life, and still is. He is un neutered, something we will take care of soon, but otherwise we were told he was affectionate and social. We asked the family to send us lots of videos before adopting and we could see from body language and behaviour that he is a very affectionate, food motivated cat.

Now i've done hours of reading about new cats, behaviours and great ways to get them set up in a new home and we have tried to implement as many as we could. We live in a large one bed flat but the options for settling him were the living room and bedroom. We opted for the living room because it is much larger than the bedroom and we felt the bedroom would become crowded with all of us in at night. In the living room he has his own corner we set up with a variety of cardboard box hide aways, a blanket that we drooped over to make more hiding spaces and his carrier with his blanket. We put the litter tray nearby and his food close to him but as far from the litter as possible. So far he is eating and using the litter tray, so thats a relief. We have put him on a really high quality diet of both dry and wet food and he eats the lot.

So far so good. He is wary of us and has in no way solicited affection from us at all. On the other hand he doesn't hiss or exhibit any signs of fear or aggression. Fine, he's settling in. We talk to him from a distance, try not to stare and when we move a little closer we lay on the floor and look the other way whilst talking. We also offer lots of slow blinks. But so far... nothing. We know to be patient and we are doing our best to be so.

One thing that I am a little concerned about is that he has found a hiding space behind the sofa where he spends all day, barely moving. When we take a look at him his body language seems fine and his ears are up but he just stares at us. We try enticing with toys, snacks (which he loves) or just offering company but he doesn't react at all. About 11pm he will slink out and move incredibly slowly around his corner, considering each step. At this point he may sit in his basket or snaffle some food but if we so much as blink he's ready to run for cover. It feels like he only comes out because he's hungry. We know he comes out when we've gone to bed because we can see the signs of him rolling on the carpet, playing with toys and exploring.

What I want to know is, is it slowing his integration for him to be hiding behind the sofa all day? He can't see us or what we're doing at all. He can only hear us. I'm thinking that if he cannot get a sense of us, our intentions or behaviour then he is just sat there, terrified of any noise. And because he cant see the source of the sounds of the house, how can he learn that this sounds are non threatening. Does that make sense? i.e. if you dont know what the sound is, how can you learn to be afraid or not afraid of it? Is hiding behind the sofa all day bad for him?

We have considered blocking the space behind the sofa and putting a box there so he still has a hideaway in a familiar spot but one from which he can observe us and integrate into daily life.

Thoughts and advice, greatly appreciated x

WhatsApp Image 2021-05-11 at 23.17.18.jpeg

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Hi! Victor, or The Cat Formally Known As Prince ( :lol: ) is so adorable.
this is very normal and nothing to worry about. You can try talking to him calmly, reading aloud, or sitting in the same room as him silently.
sorry if you already mentioned this, but is he contained to one room? If not, that will help him adjust.
These articles might help:
How To Get A Cat To Come Out Of Hiding? – TheCatSite Articles
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Bringing Home A New Cat – The Complete Guide – TheCatSite Articles
It sounds like you’ve done your research. Please keep us updated and feel free to post more pictures. Oh, and welcome to TCS!

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Charlie90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks BellaGooch BellaGooch , appreciate the feedback. I know this is as much about our impatience as his adjustment. Our previous cat, who we tragically lost, was a queen from the get go. Out and about on the first night, purrs, pets the whole nine yards. We bonded quickly with her and we miss her very much. So this feels very different and we are slightly measuring him against our previous experience.

What are the cheat codes?!?!?

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I’m sorry to hear about the loss of your other cat. I know how hard that is. 🤗
It’s not really a good idea to try to make him come out faster. Patience, although difficult, is the key. He’ll come out on his own within the next few days or weeks. How old is he? Usually the younger they are the quicker they adjust.

Charlie90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thank you, it is very tough.

Victor is 3 but I do think he's not the bravest of cats. He has seemingly had everything his own way for a while so the change of owners and scenery will be taking its toll.

When we take him to be neutered, do we think this will relax him a little too? And do you think it would be worth waiting for him to settle in at his new home or 'rip the band aid off' and get it done sooner rather than later? His previous owner mentioned that they had female cats around and he had fathered a litter. I'm a little worried that once he's settled that he'll start pining for female attention, i know they can act up when they don't have an outlet.

So many questions.

BellaGooch

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I have a cat like that too. A semi-feral. He’s very anxious and timid, but he’s the sweetest guy ever.
Hmm. Not sure. I would say wait. I’m not an expert, though.
If he’s three, it might take him a bit to adjust. That’s okay. Don’t make any hasty moves. Feeding him tuna or certain flavors of baby food can be irresistible to some cats.

susanm9006

Willow
Top Cat
Purraise
I think he is doing great and I really wouldn’t do anything about him hiding behind the sofa. It’s not bad for him and I am sure he is out exploring at night. He will start to spend more time out as he relaxes and it will probably become a non issue within a few weeks. Give him space, give him attention only when he seeks it out and spend some time in the floor with some treats and fun toys so you can be at his level which most cats find less threatening.

I would get his neuter scheduled as soon as possible, best to just get it over with.

Charlie90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
BellaGooch BellaGooch I think you're right. We'll take it slow, we both have busy lives so days quickly turn into weeks anyway.

susanm9006 susanm9006 Thanks for the sound advice. I'm thinking it would be best to get it over with. He needs chipping too so we can get it all done in a hit. He came from a relatively poor background and they loved him but he needs a few things sorting.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Time and patience are your best friends here. You're actually doing all the right things, so keep doing them. He'll do this in his own time, and attempts to rush the process will actually slow it down, and from a LOT of time spent with actual ferals, I know how true this is!

Cat McCannon

TCS Member
Super Cat
Purraise
Hiding behind the couch is natural, but yes, it's slowing his progress. A cat that hides behind a couch or under the bed is feeling small and the hiding keeps it feeling small. Encourage your cat to come out. Block off the space behind the couch a little at a time. How much you block off and how often depends on your cat.

You're on the right track giving your cat other places he can feel secure, such as boxes and cat condos. They're healthy alternatives to unders and behinds. Getting your cat out and up on a condo or using a comfy box will give him confidence and feel big. It's how he'll realize this is his territory, his home and he belongs.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
I dont know how long Victor has been under the couch.

When we brought greg and arnold home, they immediately hid under the beds at each end of the house.

We literally didnt see them for a week. Somehow they found their food, water and litter boxes. We could hear them cautiously moving around the house in the dark at night, but seldom saw them....and they were 16lbs and 19lbs at the time. I dont know how they even managed to get under the platform beds.

It took a full week before they would interact with us. Now they rule the house and yard.

Be patient, give Victor space, no loud noises, maybe a few quality treats, in time a mouse on a wand dragged enticingly across the floor.

Charlie90

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Thanks for the advice Purr-fect Purr-fect Cat McCannon Cat McCannon Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !

Turns out that all that all the wise words have rung true. Victor is out from behind the sofa and although he is a little skittish, is very sociable and loves the attention. We have a guest over for the first time and he didn't hide at all.

All in all a great success, thank you all very much for your advice. I'll follow up with a photo.

Purr-fect

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Thanks for the advice Purr-fect Purr-fect Cat McCannon Cat McCannon Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 !

Turns out that all that all the wise words have rung true. Victor is out from behind the sofa and although he is a little skittish, is very sociable and loves the attention. We have a guest over for the first time and he didn't hide at all.

All in all a great success, thank you all very much for your advice. I'll follow up with a photo.
Great, we look forward to seeing some pics.