New cat AND new couch-- marking prevention suggestion?

kenda1l

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
We recently adopted a new cat. It's been three weeks and they are still agressive towards each other, but after a couple days with one of those multi cat pheromone diffusers, we are starting to see some progress so fingers crossed. Here's the problem: our couch broke, which means a new couch and even more stress for our first kitty. I'm worried the combination of these two big changes might cause marking behaviors (she peed on our old couch once or twice, but it was when the litterbox was a bit too stinky for her tastes).

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping OG kitty from potentially stressmarking the new couch? I was thinking a calming spray sprayed on the couch as soon as we get it might help but would love opinions. We don't have it yet so I'm hoping to prevent the possibility of it happening in the first place.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Calming spray may help. It does really well for some cats, others could not care less. I would suggest getting a bottle of a GOOD enzymatic cleaner, just in case. If she does use the new couch, you can clean it quickly and completely.

sunny578

Mom to an inappropriate urinator
Alpha Cat
Purraise
If she only has urinated out of the box a couple of times bc of litter box issues, you will prob be fine, esp with the pheromones! You could spray the couch with those first thing. You also might make an extra effort to create a positive association with the new couch—playing with the cat on it, treating her on it, putting a couple of cat scratchers right by it, using cat nip, saving some of her hair and putting it on the couch, etc. If you are really worried, you could protect it with something waterproof at first when you aren’t using it just in case. Good luck!!

Tobermory

“What greater gift than the love of a cat.”
Staff Member
Purraise
I was thinking a calming spray sprayed on the couch as soon as we get it might help
I’ve used the Feliway spray with some success. It’s certainly worth trying. You might also spread a sheet over it, one you slept on for a night so your comforting scent is on it.

tarasgirl06

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We recently adopted a new cat. It's been three weeks and they are still agressive towards each other, but after a couple days with one of those multi cat pheromone diffusers, we are starting to see some progress so fingers crossed. Here's the problem: our couch broke, which means a new couch and even more stress for our first kitty. I'm worried the combination of these two big changes might cause marking behaviors (she peed on our old couch once or twice, but it was when the litterbox was a bit too stinky for her tastes).

Does anyone have any suggestions for keeping OG kitty from potentially stressmarking the new couch? I was thinking a calming spray sprayed on the couch as soon as we get it might help but would love opinions. We don't have it yet so I'm hoping to prevent the possibility of it happening in the first place.
Hello kenda1l kenda1l and family, and welcome to TCS! What has always worked best for our multicat family is a leather sofa from IKEA. I try to avoid animal products for ethical reasons, but having had one tapestry and one cut velvet sofa clawed down to the wood and stuffing, I finally decided to try leather. It's worked for us. They rarely even get up on the chairs or sofa unless someone they like is sitting in them. I would strongly suggest a smooth fabric -- maybe not leather if you don't want that, but a smooth fabric with no texture -- and yes, get it Scotchgarded. You can also buy corner guards for your sofa (search those on your computer's search engine or look in places like petco.com or other "pet" supply venue) and Feliway spray and/or diffusers (I prefer the spray as I don't like plug-ins) may help. And yes, keep a good cleaner on hand for any needs -- I've used Nature's Miracle Just For Cats for years and like it very much. Used as directed, it works very well, though I've never had to use it on furniture. And yes, by all means, keep the litterbox clean please! *Put yourself in their place. You wouldn't want to use a filthy toilet. Neither do they. Cats are VERY clean and they don't generally have "accidents" when they are healthy unless the box is dirty, in a high-traffic area, or gets too much use. The experts say one box per cat, plus one.*

moxiewild

Seniors, Special Needs, Ferals, and Wildlife
Super Cat
Purraise

Rub kitty’s scent on it.

Grab some of kitty’s well used beds and blankets and rub it all over the couch. Then keep a couple of those beds/blankets on the couch for while.

Also place a well loved scratcher or two by the corners. A kitty tree/condo nearby can help, as well.

Try not to worry too much about the “what if” though. If kitty is fixed, it’s highly unlikely he will mark. Just take one challenge at a time. :)

lollie

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Rub kitty’s scent on it.

Grab some of kitty’s well used beds and blankets and rub it all over the couch. Then keep a couple of those beds/blankets on the couch for while.
Right. I have a throw on my couch kitty lays on. New couch, just move the throw. She smelled all over the new couch for about five minutes, then jumped up and layed down on her throw.