New Cat Adjustment

opheliajames

TCS Member
Kitten
Purraise
Hello!

I adopted this sweet girl on 5/11/22. Her name is Ophelia and is about 8 months old. She was apart of the TNR program with a local shelter but they made the decision to transition her to get adopted. They said she was very loving and adjusted well in the shelter.

Since I’ve brought her home, she hides under my bed all day, except when I’m either out of the apartment or am asleep. She has started to eat and drinks water and uses the litter box I have for her. She also gets on the cat tree I have for her during times when I’m not here. I know I need to be patient with her and understand that this is a scary transition for her. I guess I’m just wondering if I need to be doing anything else to encourage her to come see me. She hasn’t let me come near her at all, even when she is out at night. She runs away and goes back into hiding.

If anyone has any advice or anything, that would be super helpful! Just as a new cat owner, I want to make sure I’m helping aid her in the transition and set us up for a loving relationship. Thanks!

Attachments

LTS3

TCS Member
Veteran
Purraise
It will just take time, patience, and a little planning. See if this article might help you.
How To Help A New Cat Adjust To Your Home – TheCatSite Articles
Congratulations on your new pretty kitty!

:yeah:

5 day is hardly any time at all for a cat. Have patience and let your cat settle in at her own pace. If she runs away from you, leave her alone. Don't go after her because the cat will associate you as a big scary thing.

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
And yet again, PATIENCE! One positive thing you can do is to sit on the floor and quietly read aloud to her. This lets her see you in a less-threatening way, and to get accustomed to hearing your voice. Don't look at her, kinda ignore her, and let her make all the first moves.

ArtNJ

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Even once cats start to roam a home, sometimes they need more time to trust the humans and being quiet and chill helps. For this reason, the cat may first approach you when you are chilling in bed or on the couch. We have even had more than one poster where the first time the cat approached for affection was when they were taking a bath -- because they took lengthy relaxing baths where they were quiet and chill. So as Mamanyt1953 Mamanyt1953 says, deliberately spending that quiet and chill time near the cat may help. Personally, I probably couldn't spend enough time on the floor to make a difference, but its patience and understanding the basic concept that will help.

You can also try luring the cat into some interaction with a toy or with a treat, but those things won't work if the cat isn't ready, and there is no need to be dissappointed or try and force it if more time is needed. Just try and be quiet and chill, to the extent you can, especially in the cat's safe room (i.e. no vacum yet, etc).

Mamanyt1953

Rules my home with an iron paw
Staff Member
Forum Helper
Purraise
Yes, quiet and chill is the key. I suggest the floor, when you can, simply to make you as small as possible to the cat. Lying on the couch, or relaxing in the bath, or even sitting quietly in a chair helps with that, as well. We just look so LARGE to them when we're standing up! We LOOM over them. Get low, however is best suited to you.