New cancer treatment for dogs

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
Our news in Australia is so full of gloom and doom with all the terrible drought and fires, so it was with welcome relief that I found this article on a new, experimental treatment for cancer, successfully extending a dog's life when usually he would be gone.

It involves stimulating the dog's own immune system to fight the cancer:

Once a dog was diagnosed with the cancer, the trial's researchers removed a small piece of the tumour and mixed it with a chemical to bolster the dog's immune response.
This was then injected back into the dog as a vaccine, each week for a number of weeks or months.
"With this one we make it specifically from the dog's own tumour," Dr Oksa said.

"So it's very, very personalised and then we hope that the dog's own immune system will recognise the cancer and start fighting it.

The Rottie was given three months to live back in 2017, but one little girl still has her friend thanks to this treatment.

:)

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

mani

Moderator and fervent feline fan
Staff Member
Purraise
That's really good news. :goldstar:

furmonster mom

Lap #2
Top Cat
Purraise
I've seen articles on similar treatments for humans. If I recall, it is used specifically for tumor treatments; blood borne, bone marrow, and other "small" cancers do not respond as well (though there are developments in those areas that look promising).

It's nice to see these treatments are reaching the veterinary field.