TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I put the canned food on the clean floor and he ate most of it

Heart For Cats

Cat Lover Forever
Alpha Cat
Purraise
When I open a new can of wet food Oreo really enjoys ,it then seems not that interested after it been in the fridge
a few days
He needs to finish it in less than 48 hours.

Make sure you are not leaving wet food out longer than half an hour.

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
I usually throw canned food out after a day or so if they don't eat it. (just a small edit, I throw it out after a day or so in the fridge! I don't leave it out)

When I take it out, I put it in a microwave safe bowl, pour a small amount of bone broth on it and heat it up in the microwave. Sometimes they eat it, but not always.

I started buying multiple different flavors of cat foods, because they do get sick of the same thing after awhile. I also noticed they have ones they absolutely can't stand, so I started just avoiding those.

• Thread Starter Thread Starter

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I have an issue when I feed Oreo Friskies canned Pate, before her is acting behaving normal . After I feed him friskies he goes nuts like he is on dope , yesterday he went on fridge and up on cupboards , and hubby is not home either , This never happened with the other pet store canned food, So now only dry for now
Have any other had issues with Friskies canned? my friend gives her cats this with no issues

Last edited:

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Isn’t that why they call it “Friskies?” ;)

Seriously, some brands of cat food have a lot of empty calories in them. They can cause a sudden burst of energy after the cat eats them.

It’s a lot like the way young kids act when they eat lots of candy on an empty stomach. The sudden burst of energy from all that sugar makes them uppity.

I suggest, maybe, feeding your cat more often, in smaller portions, throughout the day. That will prevent them from having such highs and lows.

I agree with you. If you don’t like the way your cat acts after eating a certain brand of cat food, feed them something else.

There are lots of different brands to choose from.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Isn’t that why they call it “Friskies?” ;)

Seriously, some brands of cat food have a lot of empty calories in them. They can cause a sudden burst of energy after the cat eats them.

It’s a lot like the way young kids act when they eat lots of candy on an empty stomach. The sudden burst of energy from all that sugar makes them uppity.

I suggest, maybe, feeding your cat more often, in smaller portions, throughout the day. That will prevent them from having such highs and lows.

I agree with you. If you don’t like the way your cat acts after eating a certain brand of cat food, feed them something else.

There are lots of different brands to choose from.
Yes I was in a pinch but learned my lesson , now only Performitin Naturals or Science Diet wet from pet store

I never knew friskies meant frisky cat too thank you for informing me about this

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
should I feed Oreo wet food along with the dry

Caspers Human

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
We feed Casper 50/50 wet and dry.

Casper has food insecurity issues because he was abandoned before we adopted him. Our vet said that cats that have to fend for themselves often become food-insecure because they don't know where their next meal is coming from. Once they find a reliable source of food, they often become picky and only want to eat THAT kind of food.

The people at the cat rescue who brought Casper in used Meow Mix to lure him. Meow Mix is basically junk food for cats but they like it. Once Casper got in the habit of eating the stuff it was hard to break him of it. It took us almost a month to get him onto another brand that was better.

Now, Casper has some medical issues and he can't eat 100% dry food. By rights, he should be eating only wet food but he's a stubborn, little fuzz face! We can only get him to eat wet food half the time. So, half-and-half, it is.

We fill his bowl with dry food in the morning or early afternoon then top it off a little bit in the evening. He gets a measured amount so that he won't eat too much but he needs to have food in his bowl at all times or else he starts getting worried that he'll run out. It's that insecurity thing.

He also gets a bowl of wet, canned food every evening at about the same time we eat dinner. He usually eats about half of it then leaves the rest for later. By the time we wake up in the morning, his wet food is gone so he must be eating it after we go to bed.

It took us a long time to figure out a routine but, now that we've got one, Casper likes to stick to it like glue. ;)

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
In my experience cats, like people, can get food insecure in a matter of two or three days and they don't forget.

The more variety you feed Oreo the safer you make things for him. With variety you have more possibilities if there are food shortages from recalls, weather, whatever. Many have had a terrible time when their cats will only eat one thing and the company goes out of business. The cat doesn't understand why you aren't giving them their food and won't eat.

BTW I think you're doing a splendid job.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I usually throw canned food out after a day or so if they don't eat it. (just a small edit, I throw it out after a day or so in the fridge! I don't leave it out)

When I take it out, I put it in a microwave safe bowl, pour a small amount of bone broth on it and heat it up in the microwave. Sometimes they eat it, but not always.

I started buying multiple different flavors of cat foods, because they do get sick of the same thing after awhile. I also noticed they have ones they absolutely can't stand, so I started just avoiding those.
thank you for the info do you by different brands too or same brand different flavors and textures ie pate, shredded ,

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
We feed Casper 50/50 wet and dry.

Casper has food insecurity issues because he was abandoned before we adopted him. Our vet said that cats that have to fend for themselves often become food-insecure because they don't know where their next meal is coming from. Once they find a reliable source of food, they often become picky and only want to eat THAT kind of food.

The people at the cat rescue who brought Casper in used Meow Mix to lure him. Meow Mix is basically junk food for cats but they like it. Once Casper got in the habit of eating the stuff it was hard to break him of it. It took us almost a month to get him onto another brand that was better.

Now, Casper has some medical issues and he can't eat 100% dry food. By rights, he should be eating only wet food but he's a stubborn, little fuzz face! We can only get him to eat wet food half the time. So, half-and-half, it is.

We fill his bowl with dry food in the morning or early afternoon then top it off a little bit in the evening. He gets a measured amount so that he won't eat too much but he needs to have food in his bowl at all times or else he starts getting worried that he'll run out. It's that insecurity thing.

He also gets a bowl of wet, canned food every evening at about the same time we eat dinner. He usually eats about half of it then leaves the rest for later. By the time we wake up in the morning, his wet food is gone so he must be eating it after we go to bed.

It took us a long time to figure out a routine but, now that we've got one, Casper likes to stick to it like glue. ;)
we did our home work on the dry and found Acana good cause its made in Canada and grain free I feed him kitten first feast he loves it , He was getting Friskies but that had a bad reaction like kitty candy , so now going to only stick with pet store brands
ie Science diet Performitin Naturals and the like he likes chicken , salmon, turkey beef he also gets some tuna when we open an can

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
In my experience cats, like people, can get food insecure in a matter of two or three days and they don't forget.

The more variety you feed Oreo the safer you make things for him. With variety you have more possibilities if there are food shortages from recalls, weather, whatever. Many have had a terrible time when their cats will only eat one thing and the company goes out of business. The cat doesn't understand why you aren't giving them their food and won't eat.

BTW I think you're doing a splendid job.
I am trying thank you now for him going where is not suppose to like ontop of cupboards so we blocked is off so he will understand no to that
is another issue but its going slow

Krienze

Officially a cat lady now. No regrets.
Super Cat
Purraise
thank you for the info do you by different brands too or same brand different flavors and textures ie pate, shredded ,
I've tried different brands, but recently when trying the same brand I just buy the same brand and get different flavors.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I've tried different brands, but recently when trying the same brand I just buy the same brand and get different flavors.
yes like Science diet

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
Our girl loved Orijen, which is made by the same people that make Acana. However, things changed and we could only get the formula made in Kentucky. The formula is slightly different from the one made in Canada. She still liked it, but she gained several pounds eating it, so we had to switch. It is still a good brand whichever country it's made in.

Now this is yet another thing to make it harder, but you have to watch the kit. In the US the pet food companies are allowed to change their ingredients 6 months before changing their labels to reflect the change. So if your cat has a sudden reaction to a food that's been fine, switch foods. They've probably put a new ingredient in it that your cat is sensitive to. Never force your cat to eat a food he doesn't want. half the time it turns out the food is bad and within a few months will be on recall.

i put the name of the food we use in the search with the terms 'name reviews and complaints' on a regular basis. You will get individuals' experiences this way. There are members on this site who say that's silly you can't go by an individual's experience the cat's reaction could come from many things. BUT a large number of animals must die before a company will make a recall.

Some will say companies don't want to kill their customers, but the pets aren't the true customers the owners are. The pet food companies take the risks because they know people who have pets will usually get more pets when their pets die. So you see there is really very little risk to the company. The fines are insignificant to the companies when compared to the cost of actually making the food sate and monitoring. It's business 101. There seems to be nothing that can be done about this..

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
when our other cat Sam was a live we tried Performitin Duck and he got so sick we brought it back and got Acana
then he got better sensitive to duck too high in fat I guess

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
Our girl loved Orijen, which is made by the same people that make Acana. However, things changed and we could only get the formula made in Kentucky. The formula is slightly different from the one made in Canada. She still liked it, but she gained several pounds eating it, so we had to switch. It is still a good brand whichever country it's made in.

Now this is yet another thing to make it harder, but you have to watch the kit. In the US the pet food companies are allowed to change their ingredients 6 months before changing their labels to reflect the change. So if your cat has a sudden reaction to a food that's been fine, switch foods. They've probably put a new ingredient in it that your cat is sensitive to. Never force your cat to eat a food he doesn't want. half the time it turns out the food is bad and within a few months will be on recall.

i put the name of the food we use in the search with the terms 'name reviews and complaints' on a regular basis. You will get individuals' experiences this way. There are members on this site who say that's silly you can't go by an individual's experience the cat's reaction could come from many things. BUT a large number of animals must die before a company will make a recall.

Some will say companies don't want to kill their customers, but the pets aren't the true customers the owners are. The pet food companies take the risks because they know people who have pets will usually get more pets when their pets die. So you see there is really very little risk to the company. The fines are insignificant to the companies when compared to the cost of actually making the food sate and monitoring. It's business 101. There seems to be nothing that can be done about this..
that is sad about those companies

Kflowers

TCS Member
Top Cat
Purraise
yes, yes, so unneeded they were making money before they changed.

Java Lady

TCS Member
Alpha Cat
Purraise
I went to buy 6 3oz cans of kitten food Royal Canin Performitin chicken stew , chicken pate , turkey and another chicken formula hubby said I bought too much Is it better to give wet food in evening or morning .

Last edited: